gajar ka halwa recipe made with condensed milk or milkmaid. this is a quick and easy version of carrot halwa recipe made with condensed milk. i am adding this recipe as a few readers did ask me on how to prepare carrot halwa with condensed milk.
winter is the time of juicy delhi carrots in india. so when i get them, i end up making gajar halwa often. apart from halwa, you can make many recipes with carrots like carrot barfi, carrot paratha, carrot rice, aloo gajar matar.
i usually make good quantity of gajar halwa and keep in the fridge. it stays good for a week. i usually make halwa with the traditional method of cooking the grated carrots in milk. this time i made the halwa with condensed milk. this is a quick method than the traditional one and takes less time.
i did use 1.5 kgs carrots and it took about 45 mins to make the halwa. so if you halve or reduce the proportion, it will be much quicker. i used sweetened condensed milk (nestle milkmaid) and did not have to use any sugar.
gajar halwa is one of the most popular halwa variety in india. it is made for any festive occasions. there are many variations to make this halwa. overall on the blog, there are four more variations of making gajar halwa recipe including this one.
1. gajar halwa made with milk – although, this takes more time to prepare as compared to this condensed milk recipe. but i prefer this method more because taste wise it is the best.
2. gajar halwa in pressure cooker – easy and a less time taking recipe of preparing gajar halwa.
3. vegan carrot halwa recipe – made with almond milk.
4. microwave carrot halwa recipe – a quick method to make gajar halwa in microwave.
quick gajar ka halwa recipe below:
- 1.5 kg carrots - approx 9 cups tightly packed grated carrots (gajar)
- 6 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- 8 to 9 green cardamoms (chotti elachi) - powdered in a mortar-pestle
- 1 tin sweetened condensed milk - i used nestle milkmaid 400 grams
- sugar as required - (optional)
- ½ cup cashews (kaju)
- ⅓ to ½ cup golden raisins (kishmish)
rinse, peel and grate the carrots with a hand held grater or in a food processor.
heat ghee in a kadai or thick bottomed deep pan. add the grated carrots.
saute the carrots till they turn tender and are cooked. keep on stirring in intervals while sauting the carrots.
then add the condensed milk.
stir very well and add the cardamom powder, cashews and raisins.
stir again and simmer the halwa on a low flame stirring often, till the mixture dries up and reduces.
check the taste and if required, you can add some sugar. i did not add any sugar as the taste was perfect for us.
serve gajar halwa hot or warm or chilled.
step by step gajar ka halwa recipe with milkmaid:
1. heat 6 tbsp ghee/clarified butter in a kadai or thick bottomed deep pan. add the grated carrots (1.5 kg carrots – approx 9 cups tightly packed grated carrots).
2. saute the carrots till they turn tender. keep on stirring in intervals while sauting the carrots. the pics thereafter have been taken in the night and hence the tungsten glow on them.
3. then add the condensed milk (1 tin sweetened condensed milk or 400 grams).
4. stir very well.
5. add the cardamom powder (8 to 9 cardamoms, powdered in a mortar-pestle), ½ cup cashews and (⅓ to ½ cup) golden raisins.
7. stir again and simmer the halwa on a low flame stirring often, till the mixture reduces and dries up.
8. serve gajar halwa hot or warm or chilled. you can also add the halwa in a tray or box and let it set. when cool, cut in squares and serve the halwa.
Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes