this recipe of curry leaves chutney or kadi patta chutney is borrowed from a friend. once he had made this chutney for us and he had learnt if from his aunt.
on a visit to his home once, he made this chutney along with us. this curry leaves chutney stays good for a week in the fridge and our friend used to make this chutney in large amounts and would have it with breads and rotis. we liked the chutney so much that i have made it many times now.
apart from curry leaves which is the main ingredient, fresh coconut and roasted bengal gram (chana dal) are also added. an easy chutney to make. there is no tempering done and this is also a no onion and no garlic recipe.
in hindi, curry leaves are known as kadi patta. curry leaves are added to most tadka or tempering in south indian dishes. they add their aroma and flavor to the dish in ways which you can only know once you have made and had a dish tempered with curry leaves.
curry leaves are known for their digestive properties. they are also good for improving eyesight, in reducing weight and excellent for healthy & shiny hair. this is the reason they are also added to coconut oil which is applied on the head.
curry leaves are an essential ingredient in south indian cuisine and nowadays many people in north india also have started using these leaves. although, it is not so easy to get these healthy leaves in north india unless you have your own tree.
this curry leaves chutney goes very well with most south indian tiffin snacks. i had served the kadi patta chutney with rava idli.
one of the easiest way you can use curry leaves in your diet is either add them in your tempering for dals, rasam, sambar or make this easy curry leaves chutney.
kadi patta or curry leaves chutney recipe below:
- 1 cup curry leaves or kadi patta
- 1 tsp urad dal/black gram skinned
- 1 tsp mustard seeds/ rai or sarson
- ½ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- ½ inch ginger/adrak
- 1 or 2 green chilies/hari mirch
- ½ cup grated coconut
- 1 tbsp roasted chana dal (optional)
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt as required
- rinse and dry the curry leaves or kadi patta with a clean kitchen towel.
- heat oil in a frying pan. then add mustard seeds and urad dal.
- allow the mustard seeds to pop and the urad dal to get a reddish brown.
- add the cumin seeds. then add the ginger, green chilies and curry leaves.
- stir and fry the leaves with continuous stirrings till they become slightly crisp.
- don't brown them as this would make the chutney bitter.
- let this mixture cool down.
- then in a chutney grinder, add the curry leaves mixture with some salt and water.
- also add the grated coconut and roasted chana dal.
- you can make a thick chutney or a chutney with medium consistency. so add water and salt accordingly.
- grind all the ingredients to a smooth chutney.
- pour in a serving bowl and serve the curry leaves chutney with upma, pakora, idli, dosa or medu vada or any snack.
Follow us on Social Media