if you are having idli or dosa then a coconut chutney is kind of must with these snacks. i made this chutney with dosa made from ragi (finger millet) and navane (foxtail millet).
the chutney has a raw taste of coriander. so, if you don’t like the raw taste of coriander then you can fry the coriander leaves in little oil and add them, while grinding the chutney.
the recipe for this chutney was taken from a cook book it turned out well. i modified the quantities a lot and the method of preparation to suit us. the chutney can also be served with sandwich, fritters or pakoras. stays good for 1-2 days in the refrigerator. the next day we had this chutney with potato bonda.
there are many many variations of making coconut chutney. e.g. here is one quick recipe for hotel style coconut chutney or you can combine coconut with other ingredients to come up with chutneys like these mint coconut chutney, coconut curd chutney or sesame coconut chutney.
my mixer broke down while making the chutney, so it was not finely ground as i wanted it to be. nevertheless the chutney was delicious.
coriander coconut chutney recipe below:
- ¾ tightly packed coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- ¾ cup grated coconut, fresh or frozen
- 1 green chili, chopped (hari mirch)
- ½ inch ginger, chopped (adrak)
- 1.5 or 2 tablespoon of roasted chana dal
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice or add as required
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt as required
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- ¾ teaspoon urad dal
- 8-10 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- grind all the ingredients mentioned under "main ingredients" with some water till smooth.
- taste the chutney and add more salt, sugar or lemon juice if required. stir well.
- heat oil in a small frying pan.
- add the mustard seed & urad dal.
- let the mustard seeds splutter and the urad dal get browned.
- add asafoetida and curry leaves.
- fry for some seconds.
- pour this tempering mixture along with the oil, over the chutney and stir.
- serve coriander coconut chutney with idli, dosa or vada.