this is a quick indo chinese chilli mushroom recipe. most of the times i make food which are easy to prepare and quick. some indian recipes are time consuming but at times all i want is to make something quick for our rumbling tummies. and at times it is the best to make some quick indo chinese recipes. yes quick ones, not the ones which have extensive chopping and preparation like the veg manchurian or gobi manchurian.
and when i have mushrooms in handy this is what i make most of the times apart from the italian garlic mushroom.
this is my way of making quick chilly mushroom. no preparing the batter and then frying the mushrooms separately. the mushrooms are stir fried till well browned and then the sauce is made. this is one recipe that you can make when you want to have some hot and spicy chinese food.
this chilli mushroom recipe is really spicy as apart from green chilies, i have also added red chili paste. so you can imagine…. decrease the quantity of green chilies and red chili paste if you want less heat and spice.
instead of thinking of ordering a takeaway or going to the nearby chinese restaurant, prepare this chilly mushroom at home. you won’t regret.
as you see in the pics, we had the chilly mushroom with some homemade whole wheat sesame burger buns. the buns just soaked up the sauce and it was yummm.
the chilli mushroom gravy also goes very well with naan, rotis and plain boiled rice. if you have more time and patience than you can make some chinese veg fried rice to go with it.
You might also like to check these Mushroom Recipes:
- Mushroom Vindaloo
- Kadai Mushroom Recipe
- Methi Mushroom – Restaurant Style
- Mushroom and Spinach Cream Sauce
- Mushroom Manchurian – Step by Step
- Penne with Tomato Mushroom and Olives
- Italian Garlic Mushroom Recipe in Olive Oil
chilli mushroom recipe details below:
- 1 packet of white button mushrooms -200 to 250 gms
- 1 large capsicum/green bell pepper, cut into fine strips
- 3 tbsp onion or spring onion/scallion whites chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped celery (optional)
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 2-3 green chilies, finely chopped or slit
- 1 tbsp corn flour dissolved in 2 tbsp water
- ½ tbsp soya sauce – add more if you prefer
- ½ tbsp vinegar – i used balsamic vinegar
- 1 or 1.5 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp red chili paste or 2 tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp freshly crushed black pepper or black pepper powder or white pepper powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- sugar to taste
- some chopped spring onion/scallion greens for garnishing
- rinse the mushroom in water and chop them.
- heat oil in a wok or kadai
- add the onions or spring onion whites.
- stir fry them on medium heat till they become transparent.
- now add the ginger, garlic and green chilies and stir fry for a minute.
- add the capsicum & celery and stir fry for a couple of minutes.
- add the mushrooms and stir fry on medium heat till the mushrooms leave water and start to get browned. they will shrink in size too.
- this will take about 7-8 minutes. the whole mixture should become dry and the mushroom browned.
- add soya sauce, pepper powder, salt, sugar, vinegar and stir.
- stop here if you want a dry chilly mushroom.
- for a gravied and saucy chilly mushroom follow the below steps.
- add water or vegetable stock to the mushrooms.
- let this mixture heat up & simmer.
- add slowly cornflour paste to this mixture.
- keep on stirring so that the sauce does not form lumps.
- when the sauce is thick enough remove from heat.
- check the seasonings… add soya sauce, sugar, salt or black pepper powder more as required.
- serve chilli mushroom hot with some veg fried rice or even plain rice.
- this chilli mushroom recipe also goes will with breads or buns too.