chilli mushroom recipe – this is a quick indo chinese recipe for making spicy chilli mushroom. this chilli mushroom recipe has a sauce. i have also shared the chilli mushroom dry recipe. few more similar recipes are chilli paneer, chilli baby corn dry, dry paneer chilli and chilli baby corn gravy.
most of the times i make food which are easy to prepare and quick. some indian recipes are time consuming but at times all i want is to make something quick for our rumbling tummies. and at times it is the best to make some quick indo chinese recipes. yes quick ones, not the ones which have extensive chopping and preparation like the veg manchurian or gobi manchurian.
and when i have mushrooms in handy this is what i make most of the times apart from the italian garlic mushroom.
this is my way of making quick chilly mushroom. no preparing the batter and then frying the mushrooms separately. the mushrooms are stir fried till well browned and then the sauce is made. this is one recipe that you can make when you want to have some hot and spicy chinese food.
this chilli mushroom recipe is really spicy as apart from green chilies, i have also added red chili paste. so you can imagine…. decrease the quantity of green chilies and red chili paste if you want less heat and spice.
instead of thinking of ordering a takeaway or going to the nearby chinese restaurant, prepare this chilly mushroom at home. you won’t regret.
as you see in the pics, we had the chilly mushroom with some homemade whole wheat sesame burger buns. the buns just soaked up the sauce and it was yummm.
You might also like to check these Mushroom Recipes:
- Palak Mushroom
- Kadai Mushroom Recipe
- Methi Mushroom – Restaurant Style
- Mushroom and Spinach Cream Sauce
- Mushroom Manchurian Gravy Recipe
- Mushroom Manchurian – Step by Step
chilli mushroom recipe details below:
- 200 grams white button mushrooms
- 1 large capsicum (green bell pepper), cut into fine strips
- 3 tablespoons onion or spring onions whites (scallion whites), chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped celery, optional
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger (adrak)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic (lahsun)
- 2 to 3 green chilies, finely chopped or slit
- 1 tablespoon corn flour dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- ½ tablespoon soya sauce - add more if you prefer
- ½ tablespoon vinegar - i used balsamic vinegar
- ½ to 1 cup water or vegetable stock, add more if required
- 1 tablespoon red chili paste or 2 tsp red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon freshly crushed black pepper or black pepper powder or white pepper powder
- 2 tablespoons oil
- salt to taste
- sugar to taste
- some chopped spring onion greens (scallion greens) for garnishing
- rinse the mushroom in water and chop them.
- heat oil in a wok or kadai. add the onions or spring onion whites.
- stir fry them on medium heat till they become transparent.
- now add the ginger, garlic and green chilies and stir fry for a minute.
- add the capsicum & celery and stir fry for a couple of minutes.
- add the mushrooms and stir fry on medium heat till the mushrooms leave water and start to get browned. they will shrink in size too.
- this will take about 7-8 minutes. the whole mixture should become dry and the mushroom browned.
- add soya sauce, pepper powder, red chilli powder or red chilli paste, salt, sugar, vinegar and stir.
- stop here if you want a dry chilly mushroom.
- for a gravied and saucy chilly mushroom follow the below steps.
- add water or vegetable stock to the mushrooms. let this mixture heat up & simmer.
- add slowly cornflour paste to this mixture. keep on stirring so that the sauce does not form lumps.
- when the sauce is thick enough remove from heat.
- check the seasonings... add soya sauce, sugar, salt or black pepper powder more as required.
- serve chilli mushroom hot with some veg fried rice or even plain rice.
- this chilli mushroom recipe also goes will with breads or buns too.
- green chilies, garlic, ginger, red chili paste, black pepper powder, salt and sugar can be adjusted to suit one's taste.
- i have stir fried the veggies on medium heat so that they don't burn. if using high heat to stir fry the veggies than be careful so that they burn.
- add more cornflour paste if you want a thicker sauce or gravy.