beetroot tikki recipe – boiled beetroot and anything made from boiled beetroot is a favorite at home. so when i saw this beetroot patties recipe on maria’s blog i had bookmarked to make it. in fact i have so many recipes bookmarked from her blog and yet to make.
like the way i am, i did make some minor changes to the recipe. what turned out was a fantastic beetroot tikki much in taste like the north indian aloo tikki. we paired these with homemade burger buns and some indian chutneys with onion, tomato slices. it was our lunch as well as dinner.
my friend anamika also told me that the beetroot tikkis are a popular street food in calcutta.
i do not know what is the authentic bengali recipe of the beetroot tikki and if any one of you knows than you can share the recipe with me in the comments section below.
the beetroot tikkis are easy to make. boiled and mashed beetroot plus potatoes and plus spices…. mix them all… shape them into tikkis.
coat them in semolina and then pan fry them. for frying you can add little oil as possible or use a non stick pan for frying. you can also check this aloo tikki recipe where i have shown step by step photos of making tikki.
these beetroot tikkis pair well with burgers or indian pav. but make sure not the sweet kind of buns or burger bread.
beetroot tikki or beetroot patties recipe below:
- 1 large beetroot
- 1 large potato or 2 medium sized potatoes
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ½ tsp red chili powder/cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp fennel powder/saunf powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder/dhania powder
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp dry mango powder/amchur or 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 1 tsp black salt or rock salt - add more if required
- 1 tsp ground or minced ginger
- 2 brown or white bread slices, soaked in water and squeezed
- ½ cup semolina or roasted semolina/suji
- some oil for frying
- in a pan or pressure cooker, boil both the beetroot and potatoes together with some salt.
- i pressure cooked both for 4-5 whistles and found out that whilst the potatoes were cooked, the beetroot were half cooked.
- but no issues with the beetroot being half or partially cooked. grate the beetroot in a bowl
- grate the potato in the same bowl. this is done to get a even smooth mashed potato mix.
- add all the spice powders, green chili, salt and bread slices.
- mix everything well with your hands. now shape them into round patties or tikkis.
- take some roasted semolina in a plate.
- place each tikki on the semolina and ensure that they are evenly coated on all sides by the semolina.
- dust of the excess.
- in a pan add some 2 to 3 teaspoons of oil and fry the tikkis till they are crisp and lightly browned.
- serve beetroot tikki hot with some chutneys or sauce.
if the tikkis do not hold shape then add one more slice of bread to the mashed mixture.
you can also bake the tikkis in the oven instead of pan frying them.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media