beetroot tikki recipe – boiled beetroot and anything made from boiled beetroot is a favorite at home. so when i saw this beetroot patties recipe on maria’s blog i had bookmarked to make it. in fact i have so many recipes bookmarked from her blog and yet to make.
like the way i am, i did make some minor changes to the recipe. what turned out was a fantastic beetroot tikki much in taste similar to the north indian aloo tikki. we paired these with homemade burger buns and some indian chutneys with onion, tomato slices. it was our lunch as well as dinner.
there is another variation of beetroot cutlets which are a popular street food in calcutta. they are known as veg chops too. you can also check this bengali style veg chops recipe.
these beetroot tikkis are easy to make. boil and mash beetroot and potatoes. add spices. mix and shape in tikkis. then coat them in semolina and then pan fry them. for frying you can add little oil as possible or use a non stick pan for frying.
if you like aloo tikki then you can also check this aloo tikki recipe where i have shown step by step photos of making tikki.
beetroot tikki or beetroot patties recipe below:
- 1 large beetroot
- 1 large potato OR 2 medium sized potatoes
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder or cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon fennel powder (saunf powder)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala
- 1 teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder) OR 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 green chili - finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon black salt or rock salt - add more if required
- 1 teaspoon ground or minced ginger (adrak)
- 2 brown bread slices (or white bread) - soaked in water and squeezed
- ½ cup semolina or roasted semolina (suji or sooji or rava)
- some oil for frying
- in a pan or pressure cooker, boil both the beetroot and potatoes together with some salt.
- i pressure cooked both for 4-5 whistles and found out that whilst the potatoes were cooked, the beetroot were half cooked.
- but no issues with the beetroot being half or partially cooked. grate the beetroot in a bowl
- grate the potato in the same bowl. this is done to get a even smooth mashed potato mix.
- add all the spice powders, green chili, salt and bread slices.
- mix everything well with your hands. now shape them into round patties or tikkis.
- take some roasted semolina in a plate.
- place each tikki on the semolina and ensure that they are evenly coated on all sides by the semolina.
- dust of the excess.
- in a pan add some 2 to 3 teaspoons of oil and fry the tikkis till they are crisp and lightly browned.
- serve beetroot tikki hot with some chutneys or sauce.
do check the salt in the mixture before coating and frying the tikkis.
if the tikkis do not hold shape then add one more slice of bread to the mashed mixture.
you can also bake the tikkis in the oven instead of pan frying them.