sweet basil seeds or sabja seeds are one of the under estimated ingredient in indian cooking. not many people use these seeds despite them having many health benefits. india is blessed with many herbs and spices but many times we don’t give them their due, unless they are supported by big brands.
e.g. you must have heard about chia seeds. they are in demand these days. just as flax seeds were trending in 2011 and 2012, chia seeds are hot in 2013. basil seeds are different from chia seeds. in india people know about sabja as they are added to a popular drink falooda.
the sweet basil seeds do resemble the chia seeds and is known by the names sabja seeds or falooda seeds or tukmaria in india. they are basically the seeds of the sweet basil. sabja seeds are most commonly used in making falooda and can be easily added to sherbets, milkshakes and other drinks. if you ever had falooda then you have tasted the basil seeds. although these sweet basil seeds do not have taste of their own but they give a good texture to the dish and make it healthy too.
sweet basil seeds have many health benefits:
1. they are cooling and thats why they are added to many cooling drinks like falooda, rooh afza, nimbu pani and sherbets.
2. good for sore throats, cold and respiratory disorders.
3. helps in digestion and cure constipation.
4. they have calming effect and can uplift your mood.
how to use sabja seeds or sweet basil seeds:
1. take the sweet basil seeds in a bowl. pick up the chaff or husks or stones if there are any from them.
2. pour water.
3. they will soon begin absorbing water.
4. these are the basil seeds just after 2 minutes of adding water.
5. soak them for 30 mins. once they absorb the water, a translucent gelatin like coating is formed around them. strain and then use these soaked seeds in drinks, coolers, sherbets, ice creams, falooda or kulfis. remember to add enough water. otherwise the soaked seeds become lumpy when they start swelling. they only absorb water as much as they required. so you can always add extra water to avoid the lumps being formed.Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media