Got mushrooms and bread in hand? The best way to put them together is to refer to this really easy grilled Mushroom Sandwich recipe and make it for your near and dear ones. This is a vegan-friendly Mushroom Sandwich and gets done within few minutes. Best example of a snack which is simple and scrumptious.
Table of Contents
About This Mushroom Sandwich
Because this herby Grilled Mushroom Sandwich recipe is quite fuss-free, you can prepare it for breakfast, brunch or a quick snack. Assemble the sandwiches and just grill them to glory for a delicious dish.
In case you don’t have the herbs mentioned in this Mushroom Sandwich recipe card, don’t get troubled. You can use any dried herbs like mixed, rosemary, thyme or fresh ones like basil, coriander or mint.
For the mushroom filling, you can prepare it beforehand and be ready. Once you fill it between the bread slices, just grill or toast them the way you wish to. You may even toast the bread slices first, then make an open-face or closed Mushroom Sandwich.
Best ways to relish this grilled Mushroom Sandwich is to pair it with a cup of hot tea or an fragrant coffee. Serve it either with Tomato Ketchup, Coriander Chutney or even a rustic Pesto. Better, if you make these sauces too at home.
How to make Mushroom Sandwich
Make Mushroom Stuffing
1. Firstly, rinse 250 grams button mushrooms a few time in water. Drain all of the water and then chop them.
Then, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a pan. You can also use butter or any neutral tasting oil instead of olive oil.
Add ½ teaspoon chopped garlic and sauté till the raw aroma of garlic goes away. No need to brown the garlic.
2. Then, add ⅓ cup chopped spring onions with the greens. Sauté for a minute on low to medium heat.
Out of green onions? Swap them with ⅓ cup chopped onions. If adding onions, then sauté till they soften and look translucent .
3. Now, add the chopped mushrooms.
4. Stir and sauté the mushrooms on medium heat.
5. Initially, the mushrooms will leave a lot of water.
6. Continue to sauté till all the water evaporates.
7. Once all the water has evaporated, add ½ teaspoon dried oregano, ½ teaspoon crushed black pepper and 1 tablespoon chopped parsley or coriander leaves.
Also, add salt as per taste. You can add any dried herb or fresh herbs of your choice.
9. Mix well and switch off the heat.
Make Mushroom Sandwich
10. Take the bread slices. Slice the edges if you want. You can use whole wheat bread, multi grain bread, brown bread or white bread. Spread the mushroom filling on the bread slices.
You can add some grated cheese on top of the mushroom filling, if you like. Also if you prefer, you can brush the bread slices with a bit if olive oil or spread some butter.
While in the recipe I have made grilled sandwiches, you can opt to make open faced sandwiches by topping the mushroom stuffing on a toasted bread.
11. Top with another bread slice. Repeat the same with other bread slices.
12. Place in a preheated toaster or grill. You can also toast these sandwiches in a handheld stove top toaster or a skillet or frying pan.
13. Grill the sandwich till crisp and golden.
14. Slice and serve the Mushroom Sandwich hot with green chutney, mint chutney or tomato ketchup.
Meet Zapiekanka, the Polish open-face variation of the humble Mushroom Sandwich. The origin of this word is ‘zapiekac,’ meaning baking a dish to combine its ingredients, resulting in a crisp and brown crust on top.’
Known by another moniker Polish Pizza, this sandwich has sautéed mushrooms, cheese, etc. on baguette or French bread slices. Usually served with tomato ketchup and is a popular Polish street food since 1970.
The various types of cheese that may be used in its preparation range from the very Polish ‘oscypek’ (smoked sheep milk cheese) to Cheddar, Gouda, Emmental, Edam and Tilsit.
Zapiekanka has some varieties too. For instance, Diablo (pickled cucumbers, spicy sauces), Greek (feta cheese, olives), Hawaiian (pineapple, barbecue sauce), Gypsy (sweet and sour sauce) and also a variant called ‘student’s zapiekanka.’
- Ensure that the mushrooms are fresh, rinsed and cleaned properly before processing them.
- You can slice the mushrooms too instead of chopping, and use for the filling.
- Regular onions can be used instead of spring onions, coriander leaves (cilantro) or mint leaves in place of parsley.
- You can choose your preferred herbs and spices for this recipe.
- Use fresh bread slices. You can also use whole wheat, white, brown, oats or multi grain bread.
- For variations, you can use cheese, spinach, etc. in the filling of this sandwich.
- If using cheese in the sandwich, you can use varieties like cheddar, mozzarella, a mix of both or even your regular processed cheese.
- You can prepare this sandwich in a toaster, grill, oven, stovetop toaster or oven. If you are ok with a sandwich without the grill marks, you can also simply toast it on a tawa.
- You can easily double this recipe.
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Mushroom Sandwich Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 250 grams chopped button mushrooms or 3 cups chopped mushrooms
- ⅓ cup chopped spring onions with greens or ⅓ cup chopped onions
- ½ teaspoon chopped garlic or 2 to 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley or coriander leaves or mint leaves
- salt as required
- 6 to 8 slices bread – whole wheat, white, brown, oats or multi grain bread
Making mushroom stuffing
- Firstly, rinse or wipe the mushrooms and then chop them. Then, heat olive oil in a pan. You can also use butter instead of olive oil.
- Add chopped garlic. Sauté till the raw aroma of garlic goes away. There is no need to brown the garlic.
- Then, add chopped spring onions with the greens. Sauté for a minute on low to medium heat. You can also add ⅓ cup chopped onions instead of spring onions. If adding onions, then sauté till they are translucent.
- Now, add the chopped mushrooms.
- Stir and sauté on low to medium heat.
- Initially the mushrooms will leave lot of water.
- Continue to sauté till all the water evaporates.
- Once all the water has evaporated, add dried oregano, crushed black pepper and chopped parsley or coriander leaves. Also, add salt as per taste. You can add any dried herb or fresh herbs of your choice.
- Mix well. Switch off the heat.
Making mushroom sandwich
- Take the bread slices. Slice the edges if you want. You can use your preferred bread to make the sandwiches.
- Spread the prepared mushroom filling on the bread slices.
- Top with another bread. Repeat the same with other bread slices.
- Place the sandwiches in a preheated toaster or grill. You can also toast these sandwiches in a hand held stove top toaster.
- Grill the sandwiches till crisp and golden.
- Slice the grilled sandwiches.
- Serve Mushroom Sandwich hot with green chutney or tomato ketchup.
- Use button mushrooms that are fresh. Clean them well by rinsing a few times in water. Drain the water and then chop or slice them.
- You can make open faced sandwiches with the mushroom stuffing.
- Add in some cheese if you like. Use cheddar, mozzarella or a mix of both.
- Feel free to include either dried or fresh herbs of your choice.
- The sandwiches can be grilled in an electric sandwich maker, oven, air-fryer or on a skillet or frying pan.
Nutrition Info (Approximate Values)
This mushroom sandwich recipe from the blog archives first published in July 2016 has been republished and updated on 1 Jun 2022.