This Mushroom rice is easy and a flavorful recipe of sauteed button mushrooms, spices and herbs mixed with cooked rice. The vegan mushroom rice is made in European style and is also gluten-free. Makes for a wholesome lunch or dinner.
The most amazing thing is that it is not an elaborate or complicated recipe. Easy for bachelors, students and single people. If you have leftover rice then you could use it right away to make this recipe.
To make this mushroom rice, I have only used the following ingredients – mushrooms, garlic, scallions in this recipe plus dried herbs and seeds like oregano, thyme and crushed white sesame seeds.
But you could use other dried herbs like rosemary, parsley, sage or whatever you are fond of.
This mushroom rice Is more European style than Chinese or Indian style. It is not all spicy but yet flavorful and tasty. If you need some spice in the rice, you could add tobasco sauce or paprika or more of black pepper.
If you like the combo of mushrooms with rice then you can make few mushroom rice recipes like:
How to make Mushroom Rice
1. Measure all the spices, ingredients and keep them ready before you start to make the dish.
You need to cook ⅔ cup of rice before you begin this recipe. You can choose to cook the rice in a pan or Instant pot or stovetop pressure cooker adding water as required. Overall we need 2 cups of cooked rice. Preferably try to use basmati rice or any good quality long-grained rice for this recipe.
Make sure the rice does not become sticky after cooking it. Once the rice grains are cooked then cool them completely in a strainer.
2. In a pan heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add 1 teaspoon of chopped garlic and saute for some seconds. You don’t need to brown the garlic.
You can use any neutral flavored oil instead of olive oil.
4. Then add 3 to 4 chopped small to medium-sized scallions or spring onion whites (about ½ cup).
You can also use shallots or regular onions instead of spring onions.
5. Begin to saute the spring onions stirring often.
6. Saute till the spring onions become translucent and softened.
7. Now add 400 grams of chopped button mushrooms. Start sauteing them on medium-low to medium heat stirring at intervals.
8. Initially the mushrooms will leave a lot of water. Saute till all the water dries up in the pan. The mushrooms should be completely cooked by this time.
9. Then add the following herbs and spices to sauteed mushrooms:
- ¼ teaspoon of ground black pepper or white pepper
- 1 teaspoon of crushed white sesame seeds – The sesame seeds can be lightly crushed using a mortar pestle.
- ½ teaspoon of thyme
- ½ teaspoon of oregano
10. Stir and mix well. You can also add your preferred herbs or spices.
11. Now add 2 cups of cooked rice. The rice has to be completely cooled when you add it at this step. You can also use any leftover cooked rice.
12. Mix and then saute the cooked rice with the mushrooms for a couple of minutes.
13. Add salt as required.
14. Stir gently and mix well. Switch off the heat.
15. Garnish with scallions greens or cilantro.
Serve Mushroom rice hot or warm with a salad or you could just drizzle some extra virgin olive oil to the rice and enjoy the bowl of mushroom rice.
It makes for a healthy and comforting lunch or dinner.
Tips for making mushroom rice
- Its easy if you have leftover rice or else you will have to cook the rice. I also recommend to soak the rice for at least 20 minutes before cooking. Rinse the rice really well in water to get rid of any extra starch so that you get separate non-sticky grains after cooking them.
- You can also consider adding a bit of soy sauce to the rice.
- If you do not have crushed white sesame seeds, then you could also use whole sesame seeds. Roast them and add to the rice.
- You could use fresh herbs instead of dried herbs.
- You can also use other varieties of edible mushrooms or mixed mushrooms. This will give a nice texture and crunchiness to the recipe. Cremini mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms are also some good options.
- Use aged basmati rice or any good quality long grained rice for best texture and flavor.
More Tasty Rice Recipes
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
- 2 cups cooked rice or ⅔ cup uncooked rice – preferably basmati rice or any long grained rice
- 400 grams white button mushrooms – cleaned and chopped or 4 cups chopped white button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon roasted crushed sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 3 to 4 spring onions or scallions – chopped (reserve the greens for garnishing) – about ½ cup
- 1 teaspoon garlic , finely chopped – optional
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper or white pepper
- salt as required
- Before you begin the recipe, cook about ⅔ cup of rice until tender and softened. Cool the rice grains completely.
- You can cook or steam the rice in a stovetop pressure cooker, pan or Instant pot adding water as needed.
- In a pan heat olive oil. You can also use any neutral flavored oil.
- Add the chopped garlic and saute for some seconds. No need to brown the garlic.
- Then add chopped scallions (spring onion whites). Begin to saute the spring onions stirring often.
- Saute till the spring onions become translucent and have softened. Now add chopped mushrooms. Initially the mushrooms will leave water.
- Saute them until all the water evoapartes from the pan and the mushrooms are completely cooked.
- Add ground black or white pepper, crushed white sesame seeds, thyme and oregano to the mushrooms. Mix well.
- Now add the cooked rice and salt as required. The rice has to be completely cooled before you add it at this step.
- Mix and saute the rice with the mushrooms for a couple of minutes.
- Garnish with the scallions greens or cilantro.
- Serve mushroom rice hot or warm with a salad or you could just drizzle some extra virgin olive oil to the rice and enjoy the bowl of mushroom rice.
- Instead of white button mushrooms you can also use cremini or shiitake mushrooms.
- Use any non-sticky variety of rice to make the dish. While I prefer to use long-grained rice like basmati but any medium to short grain rice will also work well.
- Spring onions give a good flavor but you can replace them with shallots or regular onions.
- Feel free to add your choice of herbs and spices.
- The recipe can be easily scaled up to make a big batch.
- If you have any leftover cooked rice then making this recipe is a breeze.
Nutrition Info (Approximate Values)
This Mushroom Rice post from the archives (May 2011) has been republished and updated on 21 September 2021.
Comments are closed.
Thanks, Can you post recipe for Burmese khao suey? If possible
I make this dish at times but more of the Thai version and it is delicious. So I will add it in some time.
Can I use canned mushroom to prepare this recipe?
Yes you can use canned mushrooms.
Hi! The recipe was very delicious! My grandchildren enjoyed!
Thanks Nancy. Glad to know this.
Wonderful awesome. All recipes are so tasty and easy to prepare. Thank u so much
Welcome Sindhi Prakash
Hello,my mother is allergic to sesame seeds is there an alternative or can I avoid it in this recipe?
just avoid the sesame seeds.
Appreciate your mouth watering recipes. Will try the straw berry short cake soon.
thanks and do try.
wha do mean by scallions?
scallions are spring onions.
Great idea! I have some mushrooms to use up for lunch 🙂
hey lola…. do let me know how the mushroom rice turns out…