mushroom rice recipe with step by step photos. an easy and quick recipe of mushroom rice made in european style. this mushroom rice recipe i had made for lunch and everyone liked it.
the most amazing thing is that, it is not an elaborate or complicated recipe. easy for bachelors, students and single people. if you have leftover rice than you could use it right away to make this recipe.
to make this mushroom rice, i have only used the following veggies – mushrooms, garlic, scallions in this recipe plus dried herbs and seeds like oregano, thyme and crushed sesame seeds. but you could use other dried herbs like rosemary, parsley, sage or whatever you are fond of. this recipe is a completely vegan recipe. so my vegan friends can enjoy making this one. if you like the combo of mushrooms with rice then you can make few mushroom rice recipes like:
- mushroom pulao
- mushroom dum biryani
- spicy south indian mushroom biryani
- mushroom fried rice recipe
- mushroom biryani (chettinad style)
this mushroom rice recipe is more european style than chinese or indian style. its not all spicy but yet flavorful and tasty. if you need some spice in the rice, you could add tobasco sauce or paprika or more of black pepper.
tips for making mushroom rice
- its easy if you have leftover rice or else you will have to cook the rice.
- if you do not have crushed sesame seeds, then you could also use whole sesame seeds. roast them and add to the rice.
- you could use fresh herbs instead of dried herbs.
- you can also use other varieties of mushrooms or mixed mushrooms. this will give a nice texture and crunchiness to the recipe.
if you are looking for more rice recipes then do check:
mushroom rice recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR mushroom rice recipe
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 400 grams white button mushrooms - cleaned and chopped or 4 cups chopped white button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon roasted crushed sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 3 to 4 spring onions or scallions - chopped (reserve the greens for garnishing)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (lahsun), finely chopped - optional
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder or white pepper powder
- salt as required
HOW TO MAKE mushroom rice recipe
- in a pan heat the olive oil.
- add the chopped garlic. and saute for some seconds.
- then add 3-4 chopped small to medium scallions (spring onion whites). begin to saute the spring onions.
- saute till the spring onions become translucent. now add 400 grams of chopped mushrooms.
- saute the mushrooms till they leave water and are dried up and completely cooked.
- add the black or white pepper, crushed sesame seeds, thyme and oregano to the mushrooms. mix well.
- now add the cooked rice and salt.
- saute the rice with the mushrooms for a couple of minutes.
- garnish mushroom rice with the scallions greens.
- serve mushroom rice hot with a salad or you could just drizzle some extra virgin olive oil to the rice and enjoy the bowl of mushroom rice.
how to make mushroom rice recipe
- measure all the spices, ingredients and keep ready for the mushroom rice.
2. in a pan heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
3. add 1 teaspoon of chopped garlic and saute for some seconds.
4. then add 3-4 chopped small to medium scallions (spring onion whites).
5. begin to saute the spring onions.
6. saute till the spring onions become translucent.
making mushroom rice
7. now add 400 grams of chopped mushrooms.
8. saute the mushrooms till they leave water and are dried up and completely cooked.
9. add ¼ teaspoon of black or white pepper, 1 teaspoon of crushed sesame seeds, ½ teaspoon of thyme and ½ teaspoon of oregano to the mushrooms.
10. mix well.
11. now add 2 cups of cooked rice.
12. saute the rice with the mushrooms for a couple of minutes.
13. add salt as required.
14. stir gently and mix well.
15. garnish mushroom rice with the scallions greens.
serve mushroom rice hot with a salad or you could just drizzle some extra virgin olive oil to the rice and enjoy the bowl of mushroom rice.