veg pakora recipe with step by step photos. here’s another tasty veg pakora recipe for the monsoons…. hot hot crispy, crunchy mix vegetable pakoda. they are easy and quick to make and taste awesome with an accompanying chutney or hot cup of chai.
i had made lovely mirchi, potato and brinjal pakoras for my friends and they all loved it. you can use different veggies like cauliflower, capsicum, cabbage, raw banana, aubergines, potato, sweet potato, bitter gourd, green chili and of course onions.
along with the vegetable pakoras i have also made bread pakoda. pakoras are loved by indians and even my friends from other countries love it.
2 ways you can make veg pakora:
- you can finely chop or grate all the veggies you have and then mix them in the batter. this way the pakora are crisp from outside and nicely soft from within. plus you get to taste all the veggies in one pakora. i have shared this method of making pakoras in this mix vegetable pakora recipe. you can also check this mix vegetable dal vada recipe which also has the same texture.
- second method to make mix veg pakora is to thinly slice or chop any veggie. prepare the pakora batter. dip the veggie slice in the batter and fry it. the good part of this method is that you can select the vegetable pakora variety which you like. as you know we all have different tastes and liking. in this veg pakora recipe i have followed this method. you can add your choice of veggies to make pakoras. take small portions of each vegetable and make pakoras.
this assorted vegetable pakoras can be served with tomato sauce, green chutney and with a hot cup of tea.
if you are looking for more pakora recipes then do check:
- paneer pakora
- kanda bhaji (mumbai style onion pakora)
- vengaya bajji recipe (south indian style onion pakora).
veg pakora recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR veg pakora recipe
for veg pakora batter
- 3 cups gram flour (besan)
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain)
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds (safed til) - optional
- 1 to 2 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- water to make the batter
- oil for frying
- salt as required
- 2 small brinjals, sliced (baingan)
- 1 large potato, thinly sliced (aloo)
- 4 green chili – the larger variety of green chillies meant for pakoras, slit from one side (pakora bhajji)
- 2 to 3 slices of bread
HOW TO MAKE veg pakora recipe
making veg pakora batter
- in a bowl take all the dry ingredients meant 'for the pakora batter'.
- add water and prepare the batter. the batter should not be too thick nor too thin.
- slice the brinjals thinly and keep them in salted water for about 15-20 mins
- thinly slice the potatoes also. slit the green chillies without breaking them. the top and the base of the green chillies must be intact.
frying veg pakoras
- now heat oil for deep frying the pakoras.
- dip the vegetable slices one by one in the batter and slid these into the oil.
- fry the pakoras in batches and drain the fried vegetable pakoras on kitchen tissue.
- sprinkle some chaat masala on the pakoras.
- serve the mix veg pakora piping hot and have fun during the monsoons.
making veg pakora batter
1. measure all the dry ingredients and spice powders for making pakoras.
2. in a bowl, mix 2 cups of besan (gram flour) and add salt as required.
3. also add 1 teaspoon of ajwain (carom seeds).
4. add ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon red chili powder and a generous pinch of hing (asafoetida).
5. add ⅓ cup of rice flour.
6. stir and mix well.
7. add water as required and prepare the batter.
8. the batter should not be too thick nor too thin. batter should be of pouring consistency. taste the batter and if your taste buds feel that the spice powders or salt is little less in it, then add some more.
making veg pakora
9. slice 2 small baingan (brinjals) thinly and keep them in salted water for about 15 to 20 minutes.
10. thinly slice 1 large potato. slit the 4 green chillies without breaking them. the top and the base of the green chillies must be intact. also slice 3 breads and place aside.
11. now heat oil for deep frying the veg pakoras.
12. dip the vegetable slices one by one in the batter and slid them into the oil. i have fried the potato slices first.
13. turn over after 2-3 minutes and fry the other side.
14. similarly dip the slit green chilies into the pakora batter and slid them in hot oil.
15. turn over after 2-3 minutes and fry the other side.
16. now fry the bread slices in the same way. fry them till they become crisp and golden brown.
17. finally fry the brinjal slices same way. fry them till they become crisp and golden brown.
18. fry the pakoras in batches depending upon the capacity of the kadai. don’t over crowd the pakoras in the kadai as then it will be difficult to turn them or fry them properly.
19. when they are crisp and golden brown remove from oil. keep the fried veg pakoda on a kitchen tissue. sprinkle some chaat masala on the pakoras.
serve the mix veg pakora piping hot with tomato sauce or some chutney.