Rice cutlet recipe with step by step photos – crisp and delicious rice cutlets for the monsoons. rice cutlet is one of those rare recipes I make with cooked rice or leftover cooked rice.
At times some cooked rice spills over and you have a bowl of cooked rice staring at you. There are some ways in which you can use leftover rice and this recipe is one of them. I do not serve the rice made for lunch at dinner, due to us being prone to vata dosha. So at times when the rice remains after lunch, I use this Left over rice to make many recipes like Rice pakora or lemon rice or masala rice.
The rice cutlet recipe is very easy to prepare. you just need cooked rice along with some boiled potatoes. Add your spices. Mix everything and then shallow fry or pan fry the rice cutlets. This also makes for a nice evening snack for kids. You can use any variety of rice. but do make sure that the rice is cooked well and not al dente types.
In the recipe, the spices and green chili can be reduced or removed as per your requirements. You can also add ¼ cup of grated veggies like carrots or beetroot. Also boiled peas can be added. The recipe makes 10 to 12 cutlets.
Serve rice cutlets with coriander chutney or tamarind chutney or pudina chutney.
If you are looking for more Snacks recipes then you may like:
Have you made this recipe and liked it? Please leave a star rating in the recipe card below or share the recipe on facebook, whatsapp, twitter & pinterest. For recipe updates Subscribe to our newsletter and follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Pinterest and Twitter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
- 1 cup tightly packed cooked rice
- ½ cup tightly packed mashed potatoes or 1 medium to large potato - boiled, peeled and mashed
- 1 medium onion finely chopped or ⅓ cup chopped onion
- 1 green chili chopped
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 3 tablespoon besan (gram flour)
- salt as required
- 3 tablespoons oil for shallow frying
making rice cutlet mixture
- Take all the ingredients in a mixing bowl, except oil.
- Mix very well. Check the taste and add more spice powders or salt if required.
- Mix everything very well. When you are mixing, the rice will also get mashed.
- Shape the mixture into small to medium sized patties or tikkis.
frying rice cutlet
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a frying pan or tawa (skillet).
- When the oil becomes medium hot, place the rice cutlets on the tawa.
- When the base is lightly browned, flip them and fry the other side.
- Flip again and fry till they are crisp and golden.
- When nicely crisp and golden, remove them and place them on kitchen paper towel.
- Serve rice cutlets hot with coriander chutney or mint chutney or tomato ketchup.
- Spices and green chilies can be adjusted as per your taste.
- You can even pan fry the cutlets with less oil.
- Instead of besan, you can also use roasted gram flour (sattu) or corn starch or rice flour.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
How to make rice cutlet recipe
1. To make the rice cutlets, you will need 1 cup tightly packed cooked rice. Take the rice in a mixing bowl.
2. Add ½ cup tightly packed mashed potatoes. Both the potatoes as well as rice have to be at room temperature. Steam or boil 1 medium to large potato till well cooked. For pressure cooking, add 1 potato in a 2 liter pressure cooker along with ¾ to 1 cup water. Pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles or for 5 to 6 minutes.
3. Now add ⅓ cup chopped onion, 1 chopped green chili and 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves.
4. Next add the spices – ¼ teaspoon red chili powder, ½ teaspoon cumin powder, ½ teaspoon coriander powder and ¼ to ½ teaspoon garam masala powder.
5. Then add 3 tablespoon besan and salt as per taste. You can also use sattu (roasted besan) or corn starch. You can even use rice flour.
6. Mix everything very well. When you are mixing, the rice will also get mashed.
7. Shape the mixture into small to medium sized patties or tikkis.
Frying rice cutlet
8. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a frying pan or tawa/skillet. When the oil becomes medium hot, place the cutlets on the tawa.
9. When the base is lightly browned, flip them and fry the other side.
10. Flip again and fry the rice cutlet till they are crisp and golden. You can fry them in two batches or all at once, depending on the size of the tawa or frying pan.
11. When nicely crisp and golden, remove the rice cutlets and place them on kitchen paper towel for extra oil to be absorbed.
12. Serve rice cutlets hot with tomato chutney or mint chutney or tamarind chutney or tomato sauce.