kala chana usal recipe – this is a malvani recipe of usal made with black chickpeas. basically usal is a curry dish made with legumes/sprouted legumes or mixed sprouted legumes and is had with pav (bread), chapati or rice.
the taste and flavors of this usal is different than the maharashtrian version as coconut and spices are ground to a smooth paste. i have not used malvani masala in this recipe, but garam masala.
if available, then you can add either malvani masala or goda masala in the recipe. i have also used tirphal or timur (schezuan peppers) here. please skip adding tirphal if you don’t have them.
this kala chana usal recipe is my mom’s recipe which she learnt from one of her friends from malvan. my mom uses this basic coconut spice paste for making usals and also for making egg or chicken curries. the curry is so good that you can just have it with soft breads or buns/pavs.
this is a favorite recipe at home. i use the same recipe to make usal with different legumes and lentils. apart from this kala chana usal, 2 more gravy recipes i make with kala chana are:
usal is generally served with pav and thats why usually called as usal pav. but you can have usal with bread, roti or rice. i have served this kala chana usal with pooris.
few more tasty recipes for you!
kala chana usal
- 3/4 cup black chana or kala chana or black chickpeas
- 1 medium to large size chopped potato
- 1 medium sized onion - slice half the onion and finely chop the remaining half
- 1 medium size tomato, chopped
- 3-4 garlic/lahsun, chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger/adrak, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds/sabut dhania
- 1/2 tablespoon fennel seeds/saunf
- 3/4 cup fresh grated coconut + 2 tbsp dessicated coconut
- 2-3 scichuan pepper/tirphal/tilfda, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder/haldi
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon red chili powder/lal mirch powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder or goda masala or malvani masala
- 1 or 1.5 tablespoon oil
- 4 to 5 curry leaves/kadi patta (optional)
- salt as required
preparation to make kala chana usal
- soak the dried black chickpeas in enough water overnight or for 8-9 hours.
- in the same water pressure cook the chickpeas till they are completely cooked.
- add more water if required for pressure cooking the chickpeas.
- strain and reserve the chickpea stock.
making coconut-masala paste for kala chana usal
- heat 1 tsp oil in a pan.
- add the sliced onions and saute till translucent.
- add the ginger, garlic, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, triphal and saute till the spices become aromatic
- lastly add the coconut and saute till the coconut becomes golden.
- keep on stirring for even browning and so that the mixture does not burn.
- when the mixture cools grind to a smooth paste with some water in a wet grinder.
making kala chana usal
- heat 1 or 1.5 tbsp oil in a pot or deep pan.
- saute half of the onion which we had finely chopped till they become translucent.
- add coconut masala paste & chopped tomatoes. saute for a minute.
- add the red chili powder, turmeric powder and garam masala and stir.
- add the cooked chickpeas.
- add about 2 to 2.5 cups chickpea stock or water and stir.
- add 4-5 curry leaves, chopped potatoes and salt.
- simmer the usal till potatoes are cooked. add more water if required.
- the curry is of medium consistency and neither thick nor thin.
- garnish with coriander leaves and serve the kala chana usal hot with bread or rice or pooris.