Kala chana sundal recipe – a simple, easy and tasty black chickpeas sundal recipe which is often made during Ganesh Chaturthi or Navratri festival. A vegan recipe.
Various sundals can be made with different legumes or lentils like black eyed peas, sweet corn, moong beans, bengal gram, peanuts. more or less the method to prepare sundal is same with minor variations here and there. I have already posted few such versions like:
- Rajma sundal
- Channa sundal
- Green peas sundal
- Sweet corn sundal
- Kadalai paruppu sundal (chana dal sundal)
To make this kala channa sundal, I have soaked the dried black chickpeas overnight so that they become easier to pressure cook. Whenever I am making any dish from chickpeas or rajma, I soak them for 8 to 9 hours or overnight. Soaked chickpeas are easier and faster to cook.
Sundals are healthy and guilt free snacks which you can have any time of the day. You can have them as an accompaniment with your meals too.
Few more chana recipes for you !
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you want more delicious vegetarian Indian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
Kala Chana Sundal
- ½ cup black chickpeas (kala chana)
- 2.5 to 3 cups water for pressure cooking the black chickpeas
- ¾ teaspoon black mustard seeds
- ¾ teaspoon spilt and skinned black gram (urad dal)
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1 dry red chili, kept whole or halved and deseeded
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)- optional
- 1 to 2 tablespoon grated fresh coconut
- 10 to 12 curry leaves
- few drops of lemon juice (optional)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or peanut oil
- rock salt as required
cooking kala chana
- Soak the kala chana or black chickpeas overnight.
- Next day, in the same soaked water, cook the chana in a pressure cooker till they are completely cooked. Add more water if required in the cooker.
- Add salt too when cooking the chana. Then strain the kala chana and keep aside.
- Don't drain the stock. It is rich in nutrients and can be used for making chapatis or added to breads, curries and even dals.
making kala chana sundal
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds and urad dal.
- The mustard seeds will crackle and the urad dal will get browned.
- They almost take the same time to cook on a low flame.
- Immediately, add the curry leaves, red chilies and asafoetida. Fry for 10-15 seconds.
- Now add the cooked black chana and salt. Stir and saute for 4-5 minutes on a low to medium flame.
- Switch off the flame and add the coconut. Sprinkle the lemon juice. Stir well.
- Serve the black chana sundal as prashad or naivedyam.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.