Khubani ka Meetha Recipe with step by step photos – Khubani ka meetha or Qubani ka meetha is a very popular sweet dish of Hyderabad. Khubani is the Urdu term for Apricots. Meetha means sweet. So in English, Khubani ka Meetha translates to apricot sweet or sweet dish made from apricots.
I first had Qubani ka meetha in Hyderabad itself. Most of the restaurants in Hyderabad serve this delicacy. In other states like Mumbai, Delhi etc you may not get Khubani ka Meetha unless the shop or restaurant specializes in Hyderabadi cuisine.
Obviously, I did not know how to make it. So, I saw Vahchef’s video for making Khubani ka Meetha on youtube. I was in for a surprise…..I did not realize this recipe was so simple, quick and easy to make. And, I had thought that this sweet dish requires a lot of effort and time like other Indian traditional sweets.
During the winters I had made khubani ka meetha and have updated the post as well as the pics.
If you are looking for more Hyderabadi Recipes then do check:
Khubani Ka Meetha
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 25 to 28 dried apricots (khubani)
- 1 to 1.5 cup strained water from the soaked apricots
- sugar as required (optional)
- sliced almonds (badam) - optional
how to make Khubani Ka Meetha
preparation to make khubani ka meetha
- rinse the apricots well.
- then soak them overnight in enough water.
- remove the apricots the next day and keep the water aside.
deseed the apricots. keep the hard kernels aside and break the kernels.
- throw away the hard covering and keep the almond like nuts aside.
making khubani ka meetha
- add one cup of the strained water in the pan along with the apricots.
- you can also just mash the apricots with your hands and then add them to the pan.
- cook on a low flame for 22-25 minutes stirring occasionally.
- if the mixture looks dry, add some water.
- now add sugar and cook for 5-6 minutes more.
- lastly add the almond like seeds of the apricots.
- stir and then serve khubani ka meetha hot or warm or cold.
Preparation to make Qubani ka Meetha Recipe
1: Soak the dried apricots overnight or for 4-5 hours in warm water. The next day the apricots will swell and become soft as shown in the picture below.
2: Remove the apricots with a slotted spoon and keep the water aside. we will be using this water to make the khubani ka meetha. Deseed the apricots. Keep the hard kernels aside too.
Making Qubani ka Meetha
3: In a pan, add the water which we have kept aside. The water has a beautiful golden color.
4: Add the apricots to the water and allow to cook on a low flame.
5: Whilst the apricots are cooking, break the hard kernel. I used my stone mortar-pestle to do this. You can even use a nut cracker. When you break this kernel, you will find a nut similar in shape and color like almonds.
6: Throw away the hard kernel and reserve these almond like nuts. You can keep them whole or chop them.
7: The apricots in the meantime have started becoming soft and changing color. Stir and keep an eye on the apricots whilst they slow cook.
8: If the mixture looks dry, then you can add some more of the water which we had kept aside. You can mash the apricots while stirring. The apricots become soft and you can easily mash them with a spoon while it is being simmered.
9: Add sugar after 22-25 mins. Stir and continue to cook till the mixture thickens a bit, approx 5-6 minutes on a low flame.
10: Lastly add the almond like nuts to the khubani ka meetha.
11: Stir well. The Khubani ka Meetha is ready now. The consistency is neither too dry nor too liquid.
12. Serve Khubani ka Meetha, warm or chilled, plain or with some whipped cream.