Cabbage vada recipe With step by step photos – cabbage vada or vadai is a tasty deep fried snack made with ground lentils and cabbage.
Vada or vadais are quite popular in south India. there are many variations of vadai and this recipe of cabbage vadai is one such variation.
These cabbage vadas are made from ground lentils and finely chopped cabbage. The lentils added are urad dal (black gram) and chana dal (bengal gram).
You can make the cabbage vadas with only urad dal or chana dal also. The chana dal makes these vadas crisp and the urad dal contributes to the soft texture. I make these vadas both with red cabbage as well as green cabbage. When I have some leftover cabbage, I prepare these vadas or Cabbage pakora.
There are many variations to make these cabbage vada. e.g. As a variation, you can add onions or chopped carrots in the vada mixture. This is a no onion no garlic cabbage vada recipe.
While making any vada, it is best to soak the dal/lentils overnight. This makes the vadas soft and gives a porous texture to them. addition of ginger and green chilli adds the essential spice factor to these cabbage vadas.
Cabbage vadas can be served with green chutney or tomato sauce or coconut chutney or sambar or rasam. A cup of tea along with them will also be fine.
How to make cabbage vada
1. rinse & soak the urad dal and chana dal in enough water overnight or for at least 4-5 hours. Then drain the lentils.
2. Add the lentils in the grinder jar along with black pepper, fennel, cumin and asafoetida. You can also add these spices whole to the batter, instead of grinding them.
3. Add less water (i added about 4 tbsp of water) and grind to a smooth fluffy batter. Keep aside.
4. Chop cabbage, ginger, green chilies and coriander. I have added red cabbage. You can also use green cabbage.
5. Add the cabbage, coriander leaves, curry leaves (optional), ginger, green chilies to the vada batter. Also add salt.
6. Mix everything very well and keep aside.
Frying cabbage vada
7. heat oil in a kadai. Drop spoonfuls of the batter in medium hot oil
8. When one side is partly cooked and pale golden, turn over and continue frying.
9. Fry till golden brown and crisp.
10. Drain them on paper towels to remove excess oil.
11. Serve cabbage vada Hot or warm with mint chutney or coconut chutney or sambar and rasam.
If you are looking for more Snacks Recipes then do check:
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
- ½ cup chana dal (spilt and husked bengal gram)
- ½ cup urad dal (spilt and husked black gram)
- 2 cups finely chopped cabbage (red or green)
- 1 or 2 green chili - chopped
- ½ or ¾ inch ginger, finely chopped or grated
- 3 teaspoon chopped coriander leaves - optional
- 2 teaspoon chopped curry leaves - optional
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon whole black pepper - crushed
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- salt as required
- oil for shallow frying or deep frying the vadas
preparation for cabbage vada recipe
- Rinse and soak the urad dal and chana dal in enough water overnight or for at least 4-5 hours. drain the lentils.
- Then add the lentils in the grinder jar along with black pepper, fennel, cumin and asafoetida.
- You can also add these spices whole to the vada batter, instead of grinding them.
- Grind to a smooth batter using very less water. I added approx 4 tbsp of water.
- Add the chopped cabbage, coriander leaves, curry leaves, ginger, garlic and salt to the batter.
- Mix very well and keep aside.
making cabbage vada
- Heat oil in a kadai till its medium hot.
- Drop spoonfuls of the batter in the medium hot oil.
- When one side is partly cooked and pale golden, turn over and continue frying.
- Fry the vada till golden brown and crisp.
- Drain them on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Serve cabbage vada hot or warm with green chutney or coconut chutney or sambar and rasam.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.