thai yellow veg curry recipe – a spicy vegetarian as well as vegan thai curry made with coconut milk and thai herbs-spices.
thai food is a family favorite. i have had thai food in restaurants too, but i prefer freshly home cooked thai food. in india, especially you do get a mish mash version of thai and chinese food at times.
we like the spicy hot thai curries and at times i make them at home too. the use of coconut milk in these curries remind me much of the goan and mangalorean curries. i already have the recipe of thai red curry and thai green curry posted on the blog.
when you make thai food at home, make sure to use the authentic thai herbs like – galangal, kaffir lime leaves, lemon grass stalks and thai basil. galangal, kaffir lime leaves and lemon grass stalks cannot be substituted if you want the authentic original thai flavor and taste.
if you are ready to compromise, then ginger and lemon zest can be added as substitutes for these. but the taste and flavors change considerably. i know it, since i have also made thai curry many times with the substitutes.
thai basil also has a delicate aroma as compared to italian basil which is more aromatic. i have mentioned below the substitutes in the notes section of the recipe details.
i get a thai kit as well as galangal in the super store near by. so when i go grocery shopping, i buy the thai kit as well as galangal. i add the galangal to the morning teas. we love the flavor of galangal in the tea… and these thai herbs are grown in india and are not imported. in my own terrace garden, i have lemon grass and thai basil.
in the thai curry, the vegetables can be of your choice. i added carrots, baby corn, button mushrooms, red bell pepper and thai brinjals.
you need to make the thai yellow curry paste for the curry. the color yellow comes from the addition of turmeric. please use thick coconut milk for the curry and not thin one if you are using a homemade version. you can also use canned coconut milk. i added dabur’s coconut milk.
thai yellow veg curry recipe below:
thai yellow vegetable curry recipe - aromatic, lemony and spicy thai vegetable curry.
- 1 small to medium carrots - chopped
- 8 to 10 babycorn - chopped
- 5 to 6 button mushrooms - chopped
- 1 small to medium red bell pepper - chopped (capsicum or shimla mirch)
- 10 to 12 thai brinjals (baingan or aubergine)
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon organic sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped thai basil
- 1 or 2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1.5 to 2 cups water or veg stock
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil or vegetable oil
- a few thai basil leaves for garnish
- salt as required
- 1 small onion OR 1 to 2 shallots - chopped
- 2 teaspoon coriander seeds (sabut dhania)
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds or ground cumin (sabut jeera or jeera powder)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric or turmeric powder ( 1 teaspoon gives a dark yellow color, whereas you can go for ½ teaspoon which will give a light yellow color)
- 2 fresh thai red chillies or bird eyes chilies - chopped
- ½ inch galangal - chopped, substitute ginger if you don't have galangal
- 2 to 3 medium garlic cloves (lahsun) - roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon coconut milk
- 2 medium kaffir lime leaves - roughly chopped (substitute ½ teaspoon of lemon zest)
- 1 stalk of lemon grass - chopped (skip if not available)
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest - optional
- add all the ingrdedients for the paste in a chutney grinder or a small blender.
- blitz to make a smooth paste. i prefer to make a smooth paste so that the galangal and lemon grass bits and pieces don't come in the way while eating 🙂
- keep the curry paste aside.
- in a pot or pan, heat oil.
- add all of the yellow curry paste in oil and saute for 2 to 3 mins.
- then add 1/2 cup coconut milk and saute for 2 to 3 mins.
- then add the chopped veggies and stir well.
- add 1.5 to 2 cups water or veg stock, sugar and salt.
- stir well and cover the pan.
- simmer the veggies till they are almost cooked and tender.
- then add the remaining 1/2 cup coconut milk.
- stir and add soy sauce.
- cover and cook for about 5 to 6 minutes more.
- lastly add the chopped basil leaves and cook for half or one minute more.
- you can garnish the curry with some thai basil leaves.
- serve thai yellow veg curry with steamed jasmine rice or basmati rice.
*substitutes for the thai herbs:
- galangal: use ginger instead
- kaffir lime leaves: add lime leaves or zest of lemon instead
- thai chilies: substitute fresh red chilies or dry red chilies
- shallots: use small onions instead
- lemon grass: no substitute. at the most, you could just do away with the zest of lemon.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes