schezwan chilli potatoes recipe with step by step photos – fried crisp potatoes in a spicy and hot schezwan chilli sauce.
i make both the indo chinese recipes of this schezwan chilli potato and a chilli potato version often. this makes a good side dish to go with veg fried rice or hakka noodles. sometimes i also make chapatis to go with the dish. the folks at home love to dunk chapatis in any indo chinese gravy dish or sauce.
the schezwan chilli potatoes is spicy but also a bit tangy and sweet. usually schezwan sauce is added to make this dish. the recipe is loosely inspired from sanjeev kapoor’s book on chinese cooking (India | US). in this recipe, a clever use of sichuan pepper or schezwan pepper is made. thus completely eliminating the addition of schezwan sauce.
so, instead of schezwan sauce, you can add red chili paste or red chili sauce and crushed schezwan pepper. if you don’t have schezwan peppers, then just skip it. but then it will be just chilli potatoes and not schezwan chilli potatoes. you can also add red chili garlic paste, instead of the red chili paste.
schezwan chilli potatoes recipe below:
- 3 medium sized potatoes
- 2 tablespoon cornflour
- salt as required
- black pepper powder (kali mirch powder) as required
- oil as required for shallow frying the potatoes
- 1 teaspoon chopped celery, skip if you do not have
- ½ cup finely chopped onions or spring onions
- ½ inch ginger, finely chopped (adrak)
- 2 to 3 garlic, finely chopped (lahsun)
- 2 teaspoon red chili sauce Or 1 teaspoon red chili paste Or red chili-garlic paste Or 1 to 2 teaspoon schezwan sauce
- 2 red chilies - dry or fresh, slit (you can deseed to remove the heat)
- 1 green chili, slit
- 2 teaspoon naturally fermented soy sauce or as required
- 4 tablespoon water or veg stock
- ½ teaspoon apple cider or white vinegar
- 2 to 3 schezwan or sichuan pepper crushed in a mortar and pestle (skip if you do not have)
- 1 tablespoon corn starch dissolved in 1 or 2 tablespoon water
- salt as required
- pepper powder (kali mirch powder) as required
- sugar as required
- a few chopped celery or spring onion (scallion greens) for garnish
- cut the potatoes in wedges. keep the potatoes in cold water for 30 mins.
- drain them and add cornflour, salt and pepper. mix well.
- heat oil for shallow frying the potatoes
- fry in a wok or kadai till the potatoes are crisp and browned. drain on paper towels.
- remove the extra oil from the wok. keep about 1 tbsp oil in the wok or kadai.
- add onions, green chilies, ginger and garlic and stir fry on a high heat for a minute or two.
- then add the crushed schezwan pepper and black pepper.
- stir fry for one or two minutes.
- add the soy sauce, red chili sauce, salt and sugar.
- stir and then add water or veg stock and let the sauce come to a simmer.
- mix 1 tbsp corn starch with 1 or 2 tbsp water to a smooth paste.
- add the corn starch paste and chopped celery.
- simmer for a few minutes till the the sauce begins to thicken.
- then add the fried potato wedges. toss them well in the sauce.
- garnish with spring onion greens or chopped celery and serve the schezwan chilli potatoes hot with veg fried rice, veg hakka noodles or with your choice of bread or with naan or rotis.
step by step schezwan chilli potatoes recipe:
1. peel & cut the potatoes in wedges. keep the potatoes in cold water for 30 mins. drain them and add cornstarch, salt and pepper. mix well.
2. shallow fry in a wok or kadai till the potatoes are crisp and golden.
3. drain on paper towels.
4. remove the extra oil from the wok and just keep about 1 tbsp oil remaining. add onions, green chilies, red chilies, ginger and garlic and stir fry on a high heat for a minute or two.
5. then add the crushed schezwan pepper and black pepper. stir fry for one or two minutes.
6. add the soy sauce, red chili sauce, salt and sugar.
7. stir and then add water or veg stock and let the sauce come to a simmer.
8. add corn starch paste and chopped celery.
9. allow the sauce to thicken.
10. then add the fried potato wedges. add vinegar. stir and toss well.
11. serve the schezwan chilli potatoes hot with veg fried rice, veg hakka noodles or with your choice of bread or with naan or rotis.Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes