Moong Urad Dal Vada Recipe – Generally vadas are made from spilt or skinned urad dal (Black gram). They are also made from split or skinned moong dal (Green gram). Both of the vadas made either with urad dal or moong dal tastes good.
Even when you mix both these dals, then too the the vadas turn out awesome…. spongy, porous from inside and crisp from outside.
The term vadas are used in South India, whereas in the North they are known as pakoras. In West India, the term that is used are bhajiyas. So this recipe can also be called as moong urad dal pakoras or moong urad dal bhajiyas. The pakoras do not requires fermentation. You will only have to soak the dals/lentils for a good 5- 6 hours.
moong urad dal vada recipe below:
- ½ cup husked split black gram (urad dal)
- ½ cup husked split moong lentils (moong dal)
- ½ inch piece of ginger (adrak)
- 1 green chilli (hari mirch)
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seed (jeera)
- ½ teaspoon crushed peppercorns (optional)
- 1 tablespoon curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta) - optional
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- salt as required
- water as required
- soak the lentils overnight or for 5-6 hours.
- drain and then grind with ginger, green chilli and asafoetida.
- add very little water while grinding.
- the batter should be thick, smooth and fluffy.
- add salt, cumin seeds, crushed peppercorns, curry leaves and coriander leaves to the batter.
- you can also add some semolina to the batter, about 1 tbsp.
- heat oil and drop spoonfuls of the batter in the oil.
- deep fry the vadas till golden brown and crisp.
- remove with a slotted spoon and drain the moong urad dal vadas on paper tissues to remove excess oil.
- serve moong urad dal vada hot with some coconut chutney or green chutney.
1. measuring cup used for ingredients is: 1 cup = 250 ml.
2. the key to get soft urad dal or moong dal vadas is the soaking time. soaking overnight or soaking at least for 5-6 hours helps in making the vadas soft.
3. another important factor is grinding. when grinding stirring the batter and adding water in intervals helps in making soft & light vadas.
Step by Step Moong Urad Dal Vadas-Pakoras Recipe:
- Soak both the dals in water overnight or for 5-6 hours. Drain the water and grind the dalswith ginger, green chilly and asafoetida. Add very little water while grinding. The batter should not become watery. It should be thick and finely ground. Add salt, cumin seeds, crushed peppercorns,curry leaves and coriander leaves to the batter.
- You could also add some suji/semolina to the batter to make the vadas crispy. I added some sprouted and roasted semolina to make it more healthy. This adding of semolina is also helpful if the batter has become thin.
- Check the seasoning to see if the salt is more or less. Add more salt if required. Mix the batter well.
- In a deep frying pan, heat oil. On a medium flame fry the vadas/pakoras. Drop spoonfuls of the batter in the oil
- Turn the vadas and continue to fry.
- Fry the vadas till crisp and golden brown and drain on a tissue.
- You can serve the delicious moong urad dal pakoras with tomato sauce or green chutney. You can also serve the vadas with sambhar and coconut chutney. You can have these plain too.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media