My this post is on moong urad dal vadas. Generally vadas are made from spilt or skinned urad dal (Black gram). They are also made from split or skinned moong dal (Green gram). Both of the vadas made either with urad dal or moong dal tastes good.
Even when you mix both these dals, then too the the vadas turn out awesome…. spongy, porous from inside and crisp from outside.
The term vadas are used in South India, whereas in the North they are known as pakoras. In West India, the term that is used are bhajiyas. So this recipe can also be called as moong urad dal pakoras or moong urad dal bhajiyas. The pakoras do not requires fermentation. You will only have to soak the dals/lentils for a good 5- 6 hours.
Now for the step by step method of making the moong urad dal vadas-pakoras:
- Soak both the dals in water overnight or for 5-6 hours. Drain the water and grind the dalswith ginger, green chilly and asafoetida. Add very little water while grinding. The batter should not become watery. It should be thick and finely ground. Add salt, cumin seeds, crushed peppercorns,curry leaves and coriander leaves to the batter.
- You could also add some suji/semolina to the batter to make the vadas crispy. I added some sprouted and roasted semolina to make it more healthy. This adding of semolina is also helpful if the batter has become thin.
- Check the seasoning to see if the salt is more or less. Add more salt if required. Mix the batter well.
- In a deep frying pan, heat oil. On a medium flame fry the vadas/pakoras. Drop spoonfuls of the batter in the oil
- Turn the vadas and continue to fry.
- Fry the vadas till crisp and golden brown and drain on a tissue.
- You can serve the delicious moong urad dal pakoras with tomato sauce or green chutney. You can also serve them with sambhar and coconut chutney. You can have these plain too.