moong urad dal dada recipe with step by step photos – generally vadas are made from spilt or skinned urad dal (black gram). they are also made from split or skinned moong dal (green gram). both of the vadas made either with urad dal or moong dal tastes good.
even when you mix both these dals, then too the the vadas turn out awesome…. spongy, porous from inside and crisp from outside.
the term vadas are used in south india, whereas in the north they are known as pakoras. in west india, the term that is used are bhajiyas. so this recipe can also be called as moong urad dal pakoras or moong urad dal bhajiyas. the pakoras do not requires fermentation. you will only have to soak the dals (lentils) for a good 5- 6 hours.
moong urad dal vada recipe below:
moong urad dal vada recipe - tasty vadas made from split or skinned moong dal (green gram)
- ½ cup husked split black gram (urad dal)
- ½ cup husked split moong lentils (moong dal)
- ½ inch piece of ginger (adrak)
- 1 green chilli (hari mirch)
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seed (jeera)
- ½ teaspoon crushed peppercorns (optional)
- 1 tablespoon curry leaves (kadi patta) chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta) - optional
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- salt as required
- water as required
- 1 tablespoon semolina or as required (rava/suji) - optional
soak the lentils overnight or for 5-6 hours.
drain and then grind with ginger, green chilli and asafoetida.
add very little water while grinding.
the batter should be thick, smooth and fluffy.
add salt, cumin seeds, crushed peppercorns, curry leaves and coriander leaves to the batter.
add 1 tbsp. semolina to the batter.
heat oil and drop spoonfuls of the batter in the oil.
deep fry the vadas till golden brown and crisp.
remove with a slotted spoon and drain the moong urad dal vadas on paper tissues to remove excess oil.
serve moong urad dal vada hot with some coconut chutney or green chutney.
1. the key to get soft urad dal or moong dal vadas is the soaking time. soaking overnight or soaking at least for 5-6 hours helps in making the vadas soft.
2. another important factor is grinding. when grinding stirring the batter and adding water in intervals helps in making soft & light vadas.
how to make moong urad dal vada recipe:
1. add ½ cup urad dal (husked split black gram) and ½ cup moong dal (husked split moong lentils) in a big bowl or vessel.
2. rinse the dals 2 to 3 times in water.
3. soak both the dals in water overnight or for 5-6 hours.
4. drain the water.
5. add soaked dals, ½ inch chopped ginger, 1 chopped green chilly and 1 pinch asafoetida (hing) to the blender jar.
6. grind till smooth. add very little water while grinding. the batter should not become watery. it should be thick and finely ground.
7. remove the batter in a big bowl or vessel.
8. add ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds, ½ teaspoon crushed peppercorns, 1 tablespoon curry leaves (kadi patta) and 1 tablespoon coriander leaves to the batter.
9. next add salt as required.
10. mix well.
11. if you want, then you can add 1 tablespoon sooji (rava or semolina) to the batter to make the vadas crispy. addition of semolina (rava) also helps, if the batter has become thin.
12 stir and mix well. check the seasoning to see if the salt is less. add more salt if required. mix the batter well.
13. in a deep frying pan or kadai, heat oil. do a small test, just add a small amount of batter. if it gradually and steadily comes on top. then your vadas are ready to fry. on a medium flame fry the vadas.
14. drop spoonfuls of the batter in the oil.
15. fry few vadas at a time depending upon the capacity of the kadai.
16. when one side is lightly crisp and golden then turn the vadas and continue to fry till crisp and golden.
17. once the vadas become crisp and golden then remove them with a slotted spoon.
18. drain them on kitchen napkins or tissues to remove excess oil.
19. similarly fry the rest of vadas.