Moong dal pakoda recipe With step by step photos. these moong dal pakoda also known as Moong dal bhajiya Is a popular and tasty street food snack from Mumbai. These are fried fritters made from yellow mung lentils and mildly spiced.
In Mumbai, we used to buy these moong dal pakoras from a shop outside borivali west station. The moong dal bhajiyas, they would make would be so soft and porous and I would wonder how. In fact moong dal does not give a soft texture like the vada or fritters made from urad dal.
So I suspect they would add some urad dal in the bhajiyas to give a really soft texture as the taste also would be a bit different. they would also add whole coriander seeds and black pepper in the fritters. I usually make a coarse powder of both and add them.
This moong dal pakoda recipe is easy. You can soak the moong lentils overnight or for 3-4 hours. You can serve the bhajiyas with coriander chutney or tamarind chutney or tomato sauce. They are a good option for a tea time snack.
If you are looking for more Pakoda recipes then do check:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you want more delicious vegetarian Indian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
Moong Dal Pakoda
- 1 cup yellow mung lentils (moong dal)
- 1 or 2 green chilies, chopped roughly
- ½ inch ginger, chopped
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon whole black pepper
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- ⅛ cup water or as required
- salt as required
- oil for deep frying or shallow frying
making pakoda batter
- Soak moong dal in enough water for about 3-4 hours or overnight. Drain the water and add them to the grinder.
- Add the chopped green chilies, ginger and asafeotida. Add water and grind to a smooth paste. You can add some more water if required.
- Coarsely crush the black pepper and coriander seeds in a mortar-pestle.
- Add these to the ground moong dal batter. Add salt and mix well.
- Stir the batter vigorously for a few minutes.
frying moong dal pakoda
- Heat oil for deep frying in a kadai or pan.
- Drop spoonfuls of the pakora batter in medium hot oil and fry till crisp and golden.
- Drain the moong dal bhajiya on paper napkins to remove excess oil.
- Serve the moong dal pakoda hot or warm with coriander chutney, tamarind chutney or just plain tomato sauce.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Steps to make moong dal pakoda recipe
1. Soak moong dal for about 3-4 hours or overnight. drain the water and add them to the grinder. add the chopped green chilies, ginger and asafoetida. add 1/8th cup water and grind to a smooth paste. Remove the whole batter in a bowl.
2. Coarsely crush the black pepper and coriander seeds in a mortar-pestle. Add these to the ground moong dal batter. Add salt too. mix well and stir the batter vigorously for a few minutes.
3. Heat oil for deep frying in a kadai or pan. drop spoonfuls of the batter in medium hot oil.
4. Fry the moong dal pakoras till crisp and golden.
5. Drain the moong dal pakoda on paper napkins to remove excess oil.
Serve the moong dal pakoda hot or warm with coriander chutney, tamarind chutney or just plain tomato ketchup.