masala rice or spiced rice recipe with step by step photos. masala rice is one dish which i make when i have some left over rice. i don’t waste food and i use left over food in many ways. this masala rice recipe is one such way. there are many easy indian recipes where we can use left over food easily like rice kheer, rice pakora, lemon rice and soft idlis.
this masala rice recipe is quick & easy, especially when you have leftover rice. it makes for a filling brunch or lunch or dinner had plain or accompanied with a bowl of yogurt or raita.
you just need to saute the onions, tomatoes with the herbs and spices. then add the rice to this mixture. the result is a delicious spiced rice which you can have with a raita and pickle or a side salad. boondi raita or cucumber raita goes very well with this spicy rice.
you can even make this masala rice recipe with freshly cooked rice. just let the rice cool down completely before you add it to the masala or spice mixture.
masala rice or spiced rice recipe card below:
masala rice recipe | spiced rice recipe
masala rice recipe - medium hot spicy rice dish made with left over rice.
INGREDIENTS (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 2 cups leftover rice or steamed rice
- ½ teaspoon black mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 sprig curry leaves (kadi patta)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 green chili (or red chili), chopped
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium size tomato, finely chopped
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing) - optional
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- ½ teaspoon fennel powder (saunf)
- 1 or 1.5 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
- coriander leaves for garnishing (optional)
HOW TO MAKE RECIPE
heat oil. fry the mustard seeds till they splutter.
add the cumin and fry till they get browned.
now add the onion and saute till the onions get softened and become transparent.
add the curry leaves, green chili and saute for 30 seconds.
add the tomatoes and saute till the tomatoes become mushy.
now add all the spice powders and asafoetida along with salt.
saute the masala or spice mixture for a minute.
add the rice and stir well so that the masala coats the rice.
saute for 2-3 minutes more continuously stirring the rice.
lastly add coriander leaves and mix with the whole rice or you can garnish the masala rice with the coriander leaves.
serve the masala rice hot with raita or with a veg salad, pickle and papad.
this recipe gives a moderately hot and spicy rice. to tone down or increase the spiciness and heat, increase or decrease the green chili, red chili powder and garam masala powder as per your requirements.
how to make masala rice or spiced rice recipe:
1. chop the green chili, tomato and onion. measure the spices and keep the rest of ingredients ready for the masala rice.
2. heat 1 to 1.5 tablespoons of oil in pan.
3. add ½ teaspoon black mustard seeds.
4. fry the mustard seeds till they splutter.
5. add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds.
6. fry cumin till they get browned.
7. now add 1 medium sized chopped onion.
8. saute till the onions get softened and become transparent.
9. add 1 sprig of curry leaves and 1 chopped green chili.
10. saute for 30 seconds.
11. add 1 medium sized chopped tomato.
12. stir and mix well.
13. saute till the tomatoes become mushy.
14. now add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi), ¼ teaspoon red chili powder, ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder, ½ teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder) and ½ teaspoon fennel powder (saunf).
15. stir well.
16. add 1 pinch of asafoetida (hing).
17. add salt as required.
18. saute the masala or spice mixture for a minute.
19. add 2 cups of steamed rice or leftover rice.
20. stir well so that the masala coats the rice.
21. saute for 2-3 minutes more continuously stirring the rice.
22. lastly add coriander leaves.
23. mix with the whole rice or you can garnish the masala rice with the coriander leaves.