lasooni dal tadka recipe with step by step photos – an easy version of dal tadka with flavors of garlic in it. the lasuni dal is made from tuvar dal (arhar dal or pigeon pea lentils). if you prefer & are fond of garlic in your food, then you will like this dal recipe.
i often add lahsun/garlic and onions in the dals which i prepare, unless i make a no onion no garlic version. there is a quite an amount of garlic added in this recipe, both while cooking the lentils and when tempering.
usually when i make garlic dal tadka, i don’t add any tangy ingredient like tomatoes or lemon juice. if you prefer a slight tang, then you can add some lemon juice, once the dal is made. if adding tomatoes, then just add them when pressure cooking the lentils.
there is also a quick and easy one pot version of garlic dal recipe already posted, in which no tempering is done.
lasooni dal tadka recipe below:
lasooni dal tadka recipe - mildly spiced, tempered garlic flavored pigeon pea lentils/arhar dal.
- 1 cup arhar dal (pigeon pea lentils or tuhar dal)
- 2.75 to 3 cups water for pressure cooking the lentils
- 1.5 tablespoon garlic (lahsun)
- ¼ cup finely chopped onions (pyaaz)
- 1 to 2 green chillies (hari mirch)
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice or as required - optional
- salt as required
- ½ to 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves for garnish
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic (lahsun)
- ½ teaspoon cumin (jeera)
- 1.5 to 2 tablespoon ghee
- ½ teaspoon kashmiri red chilli powder
- pinch of asafoedita (hing)
- ½ teaspoon dry fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
- add rinsed tuvar/arhar dal, onions, garlic, green chilies, turmeric and asafoetida/hing in the pressure cooker.
- add water. pressure cook the lentils for 10 to 12 whistles till you get a smooth mashable consistency.
mash the dal with a spoon or wired whisk.
if the dal become thick, you can add some hot water and make it medium consistency. you can also have a thick consistency of this dal, if you prefer. season with salt. stir and keep aside.
- heat ghee or oil in a small pan. splutter the cumin first.
- then add garlic. saute the garlic for some seconds. a light brown garlic is also fine.
switch off the flame and add red chili powder, asafoetida (hing) and dry fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi). stir.
pour the entire tempering (tadka) in the lashuni dal. stir.
- garnish with coriander leaves and serve lasooni dal tadka hot, with steamed basmati rice or a fragrant rice like ambe mohur. you can also serve the lasooni dal tadka with rotis and bread too.
- you can also add some lemon juice to the dal toward the end, to give a slight tang.
step by step lasooni dal tadka recipe:
1. add rinsed tuvar/arhar dal, onions, garlic, green chilies, turmeric and asafoetida in the pressure cooker.
2. add water.
3. pressure cook the lentils for 10 to 12 whistles till you get a smooth mashable consistency.
4. mash the dal with a spoon or wired whisk. if the dal become thick, you can add some hot water and make it medium consistency. you can also have a thick consistency of this dal, if you prefer. season with salt. stir and keep aside.
5. heat ghee or oil in a small pan. splutter the cumin first.
6. then add garlic.
7. saute the garlic for some seconds. lightly browned garlic is also fine.
8. switch off the flame and add red chili powder, asafoetida/hing and dry fenugreek leaves/kasuri methi. stir.
9. pour the entire tempering/tadka in the lasuni dal. stir.