hyderabadi mirchi ka salan recipe – i have had the opportunities of having the hyderabadi mirchi ka salan in hyderabad many times. most of the times when we would order hyderabadi veg biryani in the restaurants there, it would always be accompanied by the mirchi ka salan and raita by the side.
i have also had the hyderbadi veg biryani in the famous paradise restaurant in hyderabad. all i can say that it was not a good veg biryani. firstly there were not enough veggies. all i could see was the masala and that too not flavorful nor tasty. the rice was also not cooked well.
in fact the hyderabadi veg biryani which i make at home is a zillion times better than the paradise restaurant veg biryani and no exaggeration on this one.
this mirchi ka salan is a request recipe for one of my dear readers. in urdu language mirch or mirchi means chilies and salan means curry.
what makes the hyderabadi mirchi ka salan unique from other curries is:
- well, firstly it is made with green chilies.
- secondly the masala paste is made from healthy ingredients – sesame seeds, dessicated coconut & peanuts. these tone down the heat of the green chilies in the curry. i have also used lightly browned onions in the paste.
these ingredients are then ground with rest of the spices into a smooth paste. later the masala paste is cooked in the typical indian way with some tamarind pulp and then simmered with lightly fried green chilies.
the result is a lightly spiced, creamy & slightly tangy curry. mirchi ka salan pairs excellently with hyderabadi veg biryani. mirchi ka salan also goes well with veg pilaf or even steamed rice. i served it with jeera rice.
it is better to add milder variety of chilies in this curry. we get such midler varieties of chilies in india. these chilies are also used to make chili pakora (read chili fritters).
if you add the hotter variety of chilies to the curry, you curry will become very very hot. so avoid making this recipe with hot green chilies.
i have used semi-hot chilies and even adding these, about 12 of them made my curry very hot. but since we are used to eating spicy and hot foods, we liked it and relished it too 🙂
there are many variations of making the hyderabadi mirchi ka salan and this is my own recipe. i can say this is a really good recipe and you must try this one.
hyderabadi mirchi ka salan recipe below:
- 10-12 green chilies which are not of the hot variety
- 1 tbsp tamarind dissolved in ½ cup water
- 2.5 to 3 cups water
- ½ tsp mustard
- ½ tsp nigella seeds/kalonji
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 7-9 curry leaves
- 3-4 tbsp oil
- salt as required
- ¼ cup dessciated unsweetened coconut
- ¼ cup peanuts, roasted
- 1.5 tbsp sesame seeds, roasted
- 1 medium size onion, sliced
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- ½ inch ginger
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- in a pan lightly brown the onions
- add the dessicated coconut and brown it.
- later add ground nuts and sesame seeds to this mixture and roast for 1-2 minutes.
- make a smooth paste of the above with garlic, ginger, all the spice powders adding little water.
- remove the chili crowns or you can also keep them intact.
- rinse and wipe dry the green chilies.
- slit the chilies vertically but do not break them.
- heat about 2 tbsp oil in a pan.
- fry the chilies till light brown.
- remove and drain on kitchen tissues.
- now in the same pan add more oil.
- fry the mustard seeds till they pop.
- then add nigella seeds and cumin seeds.
- add curry leaves and fry for a minute.
- add the ground masala paste.
- fry for 3-4 minutes or more till you can see oil floating on the top and sides of the masala.
- now add tamarind pulp and 2 or 2.5 cups water.
- sitir & simmer for 5 minutes
- add fried green chilies plus salt and simmer for 7-9 minutes more.
- garnish mirchi ka salan with coriander leaves.
- serve mirchi ka salan hot with hyderabadi veg biryani or even plain steamed rice.
to remove the hotness from the chilies, remove the seeds from the chilies.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media