i also made an avocado cake. it was a disaster and i had to throw away the whole cake.
one recipe which caught my attention from long was the chocolate avocado mousse.
so again i bumped into the mousse recipe on kiran’s blog here. when i saw her pics and post, i knew i had to make it soon. the ingredients in her recipe were also easily available for me, except for agave syrup which i have substituted with organic cane sugar.
this is such a gorgeous looking and gorgeous tasting chocolate mousse.
you don’t get the avocado taste or flavor as the coconut oil, coffee & chocolate overpower the avocado flavors completely.
this is a super quick mousse as it gets done in 10 minutes. great to give a chocolate treat to yourself when you don’t have the patience to make something chocolate and yet want to have a quick chocolate goodie.
also a healthy mousse as cream is not used in making the mousse. a no-fat vegan and healthy chocolate mousse.
so when there is a chocolate attack just make this mousse and enjoy
- i have mentioned above no fat. when i wrote this, i meant the harmful saturated and trans fats which are found in dairy products but not there in avocado.
- chocolate does have saturated fats but the strange thing is that they do not raise the cholesterol levels. read more about this here.
- now for coconut oil. it too has saturated fats. but not all saturated fats are bad. the naturally occurring saturated fat in coconut oil is good for the body. read more about this here
dark chocolate avocado mousse recipe details below:
- 1 large ripe avocado
- ⅔ cup chopped dark semi sweet chocolate
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2-3 tbsp organic cane sugar (add less or more to suit your taste)
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- ½ tsp vanilla extract or ½ tsp vanilla powder
- some chopped cashews, almonds and pistachios for garnish
- in a microwave safe bowl add the chocolate, coconut oil, coffee and sugar.
- mix these.
- microwave for 45 seconds to 1 minute till the chocolate has melted.
- don’t overcook the chocolate as it will harden up.
- just melt it and remove from the microwave.
- you can melt the chocolate in a double boiler too.
- now scoop the avocado flesh in a blender.
- add the melted chocolate to it and blend till smooth.
- scoop out the mousse in bowls or glasses and serve straightaway garnished with some chopped dry fruits.
- you can also chill the mousse and then dark chocolate avocado mousse serve.
you can also increase the quantity of coffee and coconut oil if preferred.
sugar can be adjusted as per your taste preferences.
this recipe serves 2 people, but you can make more servings by increasing the quantity proportionately.
this mousse can also be made with milk chocolate or sweet chocolate.