baby corn masala recipe with step by step photos – a creamy baby corn masala made in the classic north indian style.
there are a few dishes that i make with baby corn. some of them are in the drafts as well which i will be posting soon. baby corn blends well with any gravy or sauce, be it north indian, indo chinese or even world cuisine.
i usually add baby corn in pulao or rice dishes or in indo chinese recipes. on some rare occasions i make proper baby corn based dishes. thats why there are only few baby corn recipes in the blog like baby corn manchurian, chilli baby corn dry recipe, chilli baby corn gravy, baby corn jalfrezi and baby corn fry recipe.
this baby corn masala recipe does not use any heavy ingredients like butter and cream. so is light and yet delicious. the creaminess comes from the blended cashews, magaz (melon seeds) and tomatoes.
baby corn masala curry recipe below:
- 200 to 250 grams baby corn
- 1 medium sized tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon kasuri methi, crushed (dry fenugreek leaves)
- 1.5 to 2 cups water * check notes
- 3 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
- few chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- 1 medium sized onion
- 3 medium sized tomatoes
- 3 to 4 garlic (lahsun)
- ¾ inch ginger (adrak)
- 1 green chili (hari mirch)
- 1 black cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 1 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 2 green cardamoms (hari elaichi or choti elaichi)
- 2 cloves (laung or lavang)
- 1 strand of mace (jayitri)
- ¼ cup chopped or broken cashews (kaju)
- 2 tablespoon magaz (melon seeds)
- rinse the baby corn first.
- slice the base thinly.
- then chop the baby corn either diagonally, vertically or into 1 inch slices.
- take all the ingredients mentioned under the list "grind to paste" in a blender or grinder.
- add little water and make a smooth paste.
- don't add too much water as then the masala splutters while frying.
- heat oil in a pan or kadai.
- add bay leaf and fry till fragrant for 7-8 seconds.
- add the masala paste.
- saute and keep on stirring the masala paste.
- after 10-12 minutes add all the spice powders - turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder and coriander powder.
- stir well.
- continue to saute, stirring quite often till the oil separates from the masala.
- the masala has to really sauted very well.
- this takes approx 20-25 minutes on a low to medium flame.
- next add water and baby corns.
- bring to a boil and then simmer for 12-15 mins on a low to medium flame till you get a medium consistency gravy and the baby corn have cooked.
- lastly add crushed kasuri methi and salt.
- stir and check the taste.
- add more salt, red chilli powder or garam masala powder if required.
- serve the baby corn masala curry hot with some naan, rotis or jeera rice.
* add more water if required and if the gravy is too thick. if the gravy becomes thin then simmer till the gravy thickens.
in this recipe i have blended both the onions and tomatoes together. so sauting this paste takes a lot of time. if you want to be quick, then add the onion paste first and saute till golden brown and then add the tomatoes-spice-nuts paste.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNELAdvertisements
step by step baby corn masala curry recipe:
1. in a blender or grinder, add the cashews, magaz (melon seeds), onions, tomatoes and spices.
2. blend or grind to a smooth paste with some water.
3. heat oil in a pan or kadai. add bay leaf.
4. fry till fragrant and then add the ground masala paste.
5. continue to saute and stir pretty often. after 10-12 mins add the spice powders.
6. continue sauting till the whole masala starts coming together.
7. this is how the consistency of the masala should be. well sauted. this sauting process takes approx 20-25 mins on a low to medium flame. so one need patience and time when doing this method. also the masala has to be stirred quite often.
8. add water and chopped baby corn.
9. bring to a boil and then simmer for 12-15 mins on a low to medium flame till the gravy thickens and you get a medium consistency gravy.
10. lastly add crushed kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves) and salt. stir and switch off the fire.