gobi recipe with step by step photos – creamy, delicious and lightly spiced gobi masala made restaurant style. this is an easy recipe to make gobi curry which taste like the gobi masala that is served in restaurants. there are many gobi recipes that taste great. this gobi masala recipe is one such awesome recipe.
gobi or cauliflower is weekly veggie that i get at home. usually i try different recipes with gobi at times. on most occasions, i make this aloo gobi. if not aloo gobi, then i make gobi parathas or a mix veg curry or the cauliflower is added to biryani, pulao or pav bhaji.
while making any gobi recipe, i always suggest to blanch the cauliflower to get rid of insects or worms.
as a variation apart from cauliflower you can also add steamed or boiled veggies. addition of potatoes and green peas will go very well in this gravy.
if you are looking for more gobi recipes then do check:
- aloo gobi recipe
- gobi manchurian recipe
- gobi 65 recipe
- aloo gobi matar recipe
- gobi manchurian dry recipe.
gobi masala recipe below:
gobi recipe | gobi masala recipe | cauliflower masala recipe
gobi masala recipe restaurant style - creamy delicious and lightly spiced gobi curry made restaurant style.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
main ingredients for gobi masala:
- 1 medium head cauliflower or gobi
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped finely
- 3 to 4 garlic (lahsun) + ½ inch ginger (adrak) - crushed or made into a paste in a mortar-pestle
- 3 to 4 tablespoon full fat fresh curd (yogurt or dahi) - whipped till smooth (optional) * check notes
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- 1 small tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds (shah jeera)
- ½ teaspoon crushed kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
- 1.5 cups water - add ½ cup more if required
- 2 tablespoon low fat cream - 25% to 35% low fat
- 3 tablespoon oil for sauting the cauliflower
- 2 tablespoon oil for the curry
- salt as required
to make the paste:
- 2 medium sized tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon whole cashews (kaju)
how to make recipe
preparation for gobi masala recipe:
- chop the cauliflower into medium florets. rinse well and keep aside.
- heat 3 cups water with salt till its starts boiling.
- switch off and add the florets in the hot water. cover and keep aside for 15-20 minutes.
- in the meantime, chop the onion and crush the ginger-garlic in a mortar-pestle.
- also grind the tomato-cashews to a smooth paste on a high speed in a blender with very little water. if there is too much water, then the mixture starts spluttering when sauting it.
- keep the tomato-cashew paste aside.
- drain the cauliflower florets and keep aside and gently wipe them dry..
- heat oil in a kadai or wok till it starts shimmering.
- add the blanched cauliflower florets to the oil and saute on a low to medium flame till they start getting light brown spots on them.
- this takes approx 8-10 mins.
- then remove the sauted cauliflower and keep aside.
making gobi masala:
- in the same pan, add 2 tbsp oil. add the bay leaf and caraway seeds.
- fry for a few seconds or till the oil become aromatic.
- add the chopped onions and saute till the onions get golden and caramelized.
- then add the ginger-garlic paste and saute for a few seconds till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
- add the tomato-cashew paste and stir.
- add the spice powders – coriander, cumin, red chili, garam masala and turmeric.
- saute stirring often till the oil starts to leave the sides of the masala.
- the whole masala paste will clamp together and you will see oil clearly leaving the sides.
- this is an important step as if not done properly, the flavors don't come through in the dish.
- switch off the stove and then add the whisked yogurt.
- stir very well and then add 1.5 cups water.
- stir again and keep the kadai or pan on the fire again.
- now add the sauted cauliflower florets plus salt.
- stir and cover the kadai or pan with a tight lid.
- cook the cauliflower masala on low to medium flame for approx 10-15 minutes or till they are cooked completely.
- keep on checking at intervals.
lastly add the crushed kasuri methi, cream and a pinch of nutmeg. stir the gobi curry and switch off the fire.
- serve gobi masala hot with rotis, naan or rice.
tips for making gobi recipe:
- * you can skip the yogurt in the recipe if you want. use full fat fresh yogurt as otherwise the yogurt may curdle while cooking.
- if the gobi gravy starts appearing dry then you can add some water.
how to make gobi masala recipe:
1. chop 1 medium sized gobi/cauliflower into medium florets. rinse well and keep aside. heat 3 cups water with salt till its starts boiling. switch off and add the florets in the hot water. cover and keep aside for 15-20 minutes.
2. in the meantime, chop 1 medium sized onion and crush the ginger-garlic (3-4 garlic + ½ inch ginger). also grind the tomato-cashews (2 medium sized tomatoes + 1 tbsp whole cashews) to a smooth paste on a high speed in a blender with very little water… as if there is too much water, then the mixture starts spluttering when sauting it. keep the tomato-cashew paste aside.
3. heat 3 tbsp oil in a kadai or wok. drain the cauliflower and gently wipe them dry. add the blanched cauliflower florets to the hot oil and saute on a low to medium flame till they start getting light brown spots on them. approx 8-10 mins on a low to medium flame.
4. then remove the sauted cauliflower and keep aside.
5. in the same pan or kadai, add 2 tbsp oil. add 1 bay leaf and ½ tsp caraway seeds. fry for a few seconds or till the oil become aromatic.
6. add the chopped onions.
7. saute till the onions get golden and caramelized. make sure the onions don’t get burnt as then the gobi curry will have a bitter taste.
8. then add the ginger-garlic paste and saute for a few seconds till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
9. add the tomato-cashew paste and stir.
10: add the spice powders – 1 tsp coriander powder, ½ tsp cumin powder, ½ tsp red chili powder, ½ tsp garam masala powder and ¼ tsp turmeric powder.
11. saute stirring often till the oil starts to leave the sides of the masala. the whole masala paste will clump together and you will see oil clearly leaving the sides. this is an important step as if not done properly, the flavors don’t come through in the dish. takes approx 15-16 mins on a low flame.
12. switch off the stove and then add 3-4 tbsp full fat whisked yogurt (curd or dahi).
13. stir very well and then add 1.5 cups water.
14. stir again and keep the kadai or pan on the fire again. now add the sauted cauliflower florets and salt as required.
15. stir and cover the kadai or pan with a tight lid.
16. cook the cauliflower masala on low to medium flame for approx 10-15 minutes or more till the florets are cooked completely. keep on checking at intervals.
17. lastly add ½ tsp crushed kasuri methi, 2 tbsp low fat cream and a pinch of nutmeg powder. stir the gobi curry.
18. serve gobi masala with roti or parathas. here in below photo, gobi masala curry is accompanied with parathas and vegetable raita.
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe