Vrat wale aloo recipe with step by step photos. This Vrat ke aloo recipe are made during fasting/Vrat or during Navratri. Sans onion-garlic, the aloo or potato sabzi is simple and delicious and goes well with fasting flatbreads like kuttu ka paratha or kuttu ki poori or rajgira paratha. A vegan dish.
And you don’t need to make this potato curry recipe on any fasting occasion. You can make this sabzi and serve with pooris or chappatis any time. There are many variations of vrat ke aloo.
Sharing the way I make this Vrat wale aloo at home. The boiled potatoes are crumbled and added to sauteed tomatoes-spice mixture. Simmered for some minutes and then served hot with a garnish of coriander leaves.
This dish is light and not heavily spiced. Just to add a bit of spice and heat, green chilies are used, which you can easily skip.
Usually the fasting recipes are easier to make and do not demand much preparation.
These vrat wale aloo goes well with Kuttu ki poori or Kuttu roti or Rajgire ki poori or Rajgira paratha.
I served them with Singhare ke atta ki poori (pooris made from water chestnut flour) and Kala chana sundal (black chickpea sundal).
How to make vrat wale aloo recipe:
1. First rinse 3 medium-sized potatoes very well in fresh water. Then add the potatoes with 3 cups water in the stovetop pressure cooker.
2. Sprinkle ¼ teaspoon of sendha namak or rock salt.
3. Boil the potatoes in the pressure cooker for 4 to 5 whistles or till the potatoes cook and soften.
4. When they become warm, then peel the potatoes and keep them aside.
5. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan. Instead of oil you can use ghee also.
6. Crackle ½ teaspoon of ajwain (carom seeds) first.
7. Now add 1 to 2 chopped green chilies. If you prefer then you can skip adding green chilies.
8. Saute for half a minute.
9. Add 1 cup of chopped tomatoes (3 medium-sized tomatoes). Stir and mix very well. Begin to saute them on low heat.
10. Continue to stir in between when cooking the tomatoes a couple of times. Saute till the oil starts to leave the sides of the mixture.
11. Now directly crumble the 3 boiled potatoes in the tomato mixture.
12. Stir and mix very well.
13. Now add 2 cups of water.
14. Stir and mix again.
15. Add sendha namak or rock salt as required.
16. Simmer on a low heat till the gravy thickens a bit. Do stir occasionally. When the vrat wale aloo is done then you will see some oil specks on the top. You can thicken the gravy less or more as per your requirements.
17. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve vrat wale aloo hot or warm. The gravy will thicken more as it cools down.
18. These vrat wale aloo goes well with Kuttu ki poori or Kuttu roti or Rajgire ki poori or Rajgira paratha or Singhare ki poori.
This recipe can be easily scaled to make a big or small batch.
If you are looking for more Fasting recipes then do check:
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Vrat Wale Aloo | Vrat ke aloo
- 3 medium potatoes (aloo)
- 3 medium tomatoes or about 1 cup of chopped tomatoes
- 1 or 2 green chilies, chopped (hari mirch)
- ½ teaspoon ajwain (carom seeds) or cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1.5 to 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoon oil
- rock salt (edible and food grade) or sendha namak as required
- Rinse the potatoes very well in fresh water. Then add the potatoes with 3 cups water in the pressure cooker.
- Sprinkle teaspoon of sendha namak.
- Boil the 3 potatoes in the pressure cooker for 4 to 5 whistles, till the potatoes cook and soften.
- Peel and keep them aside.
making vrat wale aloo recipe:
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan.
- Crackle the 1/2 teaspoon of carom seeds first.
- Now add the 1-2 chopped green chilies .
- Saute for half a minute.
- Add a cup of chopped tomatoes and saute.
- Stir and saute till the oil starts to leave the sides of the mixture.
- The tomatoes would have cooked by now and become soft.
- Continue to stir in between when cooking the tomatoes a couple of times.
- Directly crumble the 3 boiled potatoes in the tomato gravy. Stir and mix well.
- Add 2 cups of water, stir well. Sprinkle sendha namak as required.
- Simmer till the gravy thickens a bit.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve vrat wale aloo hot. The gravy will thicken as it cools down.
- These vrat wale aloo goes well with puri or rotis made from kuttu ka atta (buckwheat flour) or singhare ka atta (water chestnut flour).
- This recipe can be easily doubled or tripled.
Nutrition Info (Approximate Values)
This Vrat wale aloo post from the archives first published on August 2013 has been updated and republished on December 2022.
Comments are closed.
Your recipes are awesome.. Thank you
I made a chole masala and it came very very nicely,also got good appreciation from family.
Thanks for the recipe
pleased to know this chaitra 🙂 and thankyou.