This non-alcoholic Pina Colada recipe is perfect for summer. It’s made with blending fresh sweet pineapples, thick creamy coconut milk, and ice cubes – no rum needed! Here you’ll find step-by-step instructions with photos for how to make the best kid-friendly Pina Colada mocktail in only 15 minutes.
About Pina Colada
Refreshing and sweet pina coladas are the national drink of Puerto Rico. They are creamy, icy and slushy drinks that are perfect for enjoying on a hot day.
While there are many different of pina colada recipes, two key ingredients that nearly every version will include are pineapple and coconut. Together they create a wonderfully tropical flavor in every sip.
Traditionally pina coladas are also made with rum. However, they are easy to make and just as delicious (if not more so) to prepare without alcohol.
Because we make this as a non-alcoholic drink it’s actually a rather healthy pina colada recipe. Our mocktail (that’s a fake, or “mock”, cocktail) is only made with 3 wholesome ingredients: fresh pineapple, thick coconut milk, and ice cubes. So the kids can also enjoy a cold and tasty beverage with an island twist.
And since this is a vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, alcohol-free, healthy recipe, you can even serve these pina coladas for breakfast or as an afternoon snack!
How to make Pina Colada
1. The first step is to peel and slice the pineapple into small chunks. I used half of a medium-sized pineapple and go about 2 cups of chopped pieces.
For easy tips for how to slice a pineapple, I suggest you take a look at this video here.
2. Add the pineapple chunks to a blender jar.
3. As-is this recipe makes a very sweet drink. However, if you want a super sweet version you can add a tablespoon of granulated sugar or coconut sugar or raw sugar.
4. Blend the pineapple into a smooth puree. There should be no chunks or lumps in the puree.
5. Then add about ¾ cup, of thick coconut milk. You can use canned coconut milk or check out my easy homemade Coconut Milk Recipe for the most flavorful and wholesome version.
You can also use coconut cream. If you do you might want to add a splash of water or coconut water to thin out the consistency.
6. Now add 4 to 6 ice cubes. If you are not fond of ice cubes, simply skip them.
7. Blend once more until smooth, creamy, and evenly mixed.
8. Pour the blended drink into two glasses and serve the virgin Pina Coladas immediately.
I would only recommend using fresh pineapple. Tinned pineapple tends to include extra sugar which makes the pina coladas incredibly sweet and not as flavorful.
Add fewer ice cubes and add some coconut cream together with the coconut milk. You can also only add coconut milk, adjusting its quantity, depending on how thick you want your drink.
Add a few fresh mint leaves, chunks or slices of fresh pineapple, or a cherry on top for a classic garnish.
I suggest that you serve these icy drinks right away. They will go from wonderfully slushy to melted quickly, so they don’t keep well at all.
More Classic Drinks To Try!
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Pina Colada Recipe (Mocktail Drink)
- 2 to 2.25 cups pineapples – chopped
- 4 to 6 ice cubes – optional
- ¾ cup Coconut Milk – thick, homemade and canned
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar or add as required
- 3 to 4 pineapple wedges – for garnish
Chopping the pineapples
- First step is to peel and slice the pineapple. I used half of a medium pineapple and got about 2 cups chopped pineapple wedges. Add the wedges or cubes in a blender jar.
Making pina colada
- Add sugar. You can also skip sugar if you want.
- Blend to a smooth puree. There should be no pineapple chunks in the puree.
- Then add the thick coconut milk. You can also use coconut cream, but then add some water or coconut water to thin the drink.
- Add 4 to 6 ice cubes.
- Blend once more till smooth and everything is mixed evenly.
- Pour Pina Colada drink in glasses and serve immediately. You can garnish with pineapple wedges if you like.
- Ensure to use fresh, ripe and sweet tasting pineapple. Do not use tangy or semi-sweet pineapple as this can lead to digestion problems.
- Also preferably, use fresh pineapple. Tinned pineapple tends to include extra sugar which makes the pina coladas incredibly sweet and not as flavorful.
- Feel free to add sweetener of your choice.
- Opt to garnish pina colada, with fresh mint sprigs, cherries or pineapple slices.
Nutrition Info (Approximate Values)
This Pina Colada recipe from the archives first published in May 2015 has been republished and updated on January 2023.
I didn’t have much expectations from this recipe but one sip and I was blown away. Thank you for the amazing and EASY recipe. 🙂
welcome chandni and thankyou so much 🙂
Thank you so much for the app. My family loves spicy food and your recipes are really good. Now I’m doing better cooking with the help of your recipes.
pleased to know this shrividhya thankyou so much for yoru kind and positive words. all the best in your cooking culinary skills 🙂
See More Comments