This non-alcoholic Virgin Pina Colada recipe is perfect for summer. It’s made with blending fresh sweet pineapples, thick creamy coconut milk, and ice cubes – no rum needed! Here you’ll find step-by-step instructions with photos for how to make the best kid-friendly Pina Colada mocktail in only 15 minutes.
About Pina Colada
Refreshing and sweet pina coladas are the national drink of Puerto Rico. They are creamy, icy and slushy drinks that are perfect for enjoying on a hot day.
While there are many different of pina colada recipes, two key ingredients that nearly every version will include are pineapple and coconut. Together they create a wonderfully tropical flavor in every sip.
Traditionally pina coladas are also made with rum. However, they are easy to make and just as delicious (if not more so) to prepare without alcohol.
Because we make this as a non-alcoholic drink it’s actually a rather healthy pina colada recipe. Our mocktail (that’s a fake, or “mock”, cocktail) is only made with 3 wholesome ingredients: fresh pineapple, thick coconut milk, and ice cubes. So the kids can also enjoy a cold and tasty beverage with an island twist.
And since this is a vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, alcohol-free, healthy recipe, you can even serve these pina coladas for breakfast or as an afternoon snack!
How to make Virgin Pina Colada
1. The first step is to peel and slice the pineapple into small chunks. I used half of a medium-sized pineapple and got about 2 cups of chopped pieces.
2. Add the pineapple chunks to a blender jar.
3. As-is this recipe makes a very sweet drink. However, if you want a super sweet version you can add a tablespoon of granulated sugar or coconut sugar or raw sugar.
4. Blend the pineapple into a smooth puree. There should be no chunks or lumps in the puree.
5. Then add about ¾ cup, of thick coconut milk. You can use canned coconut milk or check out my easy homemade Coconut Milk Recipe for the most flavorful and wholesome version.
You can also use coconut cream. If you do you might want to add a splash of water or coconut water to thin out the consistency.
6. Now add 4 to 6 ice cubes. If you are not fond of ice cubes, simply skip them.
7. Blend once more until smooth, creamy, and evenly mixed.
8. Pour the blended drink into two glasses and serve the Virgin Pina Colada immediately.
I would only recommend using fresh pineapple. Tinned pineapple tends to include extra sugar which makes the pina colada incredibly sweet and not as flavorful.
Add fewer ice cubes and add some coconut cream together with the coconut milk. You can also only add coconut milk, adjusting its quantity, depending on how thick you want your drink.
Add a few fresh mint leaves, chunks or slices of fresh pineapple, or a cherry on top for a classic garnish.
I suggest that you serve these icy drinks right away. They will go from wonderfully slushy to melted quickly, so they don’t keep well at all.
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Virgin Pina Colada Recipe (No Alcohol Mocktail)
- 2 to 2.25 cups pineapples – chopped
- 4 to 6 ice cubes – optional
- ¾ cup Coconut Milk – thick, homemade or canned
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar or add as required, optional
- 3 to 4 pineapple wedges – for garnish
Chopping the pineapple
- First step is to peel and slice the pineapple. I used half of a medium pineapple and got about 2 cups chopped pineapple wedges.
Making pina colada
- Add the wedges or cubes in a blender jar.
- Add sugar. You can also skip sugar if you like.
- Blend to a fine and smooth puree. There should be no pineapple chunks in the puree.
- Add the thick coconut milk. You can also use coconut cream, but add some water or coconut water to thin the consistency a bit.
- Next add in about 4 to 6 small ice cubes. You could omit adding ice cubes if you prefer.
- Blend once more till smooth and everything is mixed evenly.
- Pour Virgin Pina Colada drink in glasses and serve immediately. You can garnish with pineapple wedges if you like.
- Ensure to use fresh, ripe and sweet tasting pineapple. Do not use tangy or semi-sweet pineapple as this can lead to digestion problems.
- Also preferably, use fresh pineapple. Tinned pineapple tends to include extra sugar which makes the pina colada incredibly sweet and not as flavorful.
- Feel free to add sweetener of your choice.
- Opt to garnish pina colada, with fresh mint sprigs, cherries or pineapple slices.
Nutrition Info (Approximate Values)
This Virgin Pina Colada recipe from the archives first published in May 2015 has been updated and republished on January 2023.