Tandoori gobi or gobi tikka recipe with step by step photos – tandoori recipes are favorite in Punjabi families. tandoori gobi is an excellent snack or starter recipe.
I don’t have a tandoor at home, but I can still cook tandoori dishes at home….. And make a great Tandoori gobi.
To marinate the gobi or cauliflower in this recipe, I have used cashew yogurt. The best part was that no one came to know that the tandoori gobi was made in cashew yogurt. You can use regular dairy curd also for marination.
For curry based gravies and for marination of dishes like tandoori gobi or Tandoori aloo or Mushroom tikka, I always use cashew yogurt. I have not yet tried making a Punjabi kadhi with cashew yogurt, so can’t say anything on this one. I know I have to post the making of a cashew yogurt, which I will do shortly.
If you are not a vegan, then make this tandoori gobi with yogurt/dahi. its a fool proof recipe and you will always thank me for this recipe.
This gobi tikka recipe is a spicy version, so if making for kids or folks who do not like spicy food, just cut down half of the red chili powder and garam masala. I have included both the measurements in the recipe details below.
How to make gobi tikka or tandoori gobi
1. We need to use thick yogurt or you have to strain the yogurt. You can use a cheesecloth/muslin and tie the yogurt in it and let the whey drain out from it. This may take 45 mins to 1 hour. Or use a fine mesh strainer like I have done. The first step would be to drain the yogurt.
2. Chop the cauliflower into medium or large florets and rinse well in water. make sure they are of uniform size.
3. Boil water with salt. Add the florets and cook for 3-4 minutes. Keep them in the hot water for 7-8 minutes more.
4. Later drain the cauliflower florets and keep aside.
5. Roast some gram flour/besan in a pan.
6. Till it becomes golden brown and starts giving a nutty aroma.
7. Lets make the marination now. take the hung or strained yogurt in a bowl and add all the dry spice powders and herbs.
8. Mix well and add oil along with the roasted gram flour/besan.
9. Stir the besan well so that no lumps are formed.
10. Add the cauliflower pieces in the marination and gently coat them with the marination.
11. Cover and keep the bowl aside for 1 hour or more. You can also refrigerate the marination and keep it overnight in the fridge. after 1 hour, gently again mix the whole mixture.
Baking tandoori gobi
12. Pre heat an oven to 200 degrees C. On a grilling rack, place the marinated gobi. Keep a tray or plate below to avoid a messy kitchen surface.
13. Place the tray in the oven. I kept the large florets on the rack and the smaller ones on an aluminium foil covered tray below. Otherwise also, cover the bottom tray with aluminum foil or brown paper or butter paper so that juices or the marination do not fall on the tray.
14. Grill in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes till the cauliflower florets are cooked well and the edges start to become browned. After 10 or 15 minutes, remove the tray and turn over the florets. This is done for even grilling. You can also char them a little if you want. But don’t overcook as they become dry. Here are the grilled cauliflower florets. The cauliflower florets should be tender, juicy and well cooked.
15: Serve tandoori gobi hot with some mint chutney usually served with tandoori snacks and onion-lemon slices. Sprinkle some chaat masala and black salt from above.
These tender, spiced and grilled cauliflower pairs excellently with some bread, buns and naan or tandoori roti. You can also have them plain or as a side dish.
Few more snacks recipes for you!
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
- 1 medium size cauliflower head or gobi
for the marination
- 2.25 to 2.5 cups milk yogurt (curd) or cashew yogurt
- ½ tablespoon Ginger-Garlic Paste (adrak lahsun ka paste) or approx 1 inch ginger and 2-3 garlic crushed or ground in a mortar-pestle
- ½ or 1 teaspoon red chili powder or cayenne pepper
- ½ or 1 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder or tandoori masala
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (ground coriander)
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala
- ½ teaspoon ajwain (carom seeds)
- 1 teaspoon kasoori methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
- 2 tablespoon besan - roasted (gram flour)
- 1 or 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- black salt or rock salt as required
preparation for gobi tikka
- Hung the curd in a cheese cloth and let the whey get drained.
- Alternatively you could also use a fine mesh sieve to drain the curd
- Let this whole process take about 45 minutes to 1 hour. You don't want too thick a curd. So 45 mins is fine.
- Meanwhile, rinse and chop the cauliflower/gobi florets into medium or large size.
- Try to keep them in one size as its helps in uniform grilling or baking.
- Boil water with salt. Add the florets and simmer them for 3-4 minutes.
- Switch off the fire and let the florets be in the hot water for 7-8 minutes
- Drain the florets and keep aside. mix all the ingredients listed under marination.
- Check the seasoning and add more if required. add the florets and mix well.
- Marinate for an hour or two. Keep in the fridge if you want to marinate for a longer period of time.
baking tandoori gobi
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees c. on a grill rack, place the cauliflower florets.
- You can also brush them with oil if required.
- Grill or bake the cauliflower for 25-30 minutes or till they get cooked and the edges start to become browned. While grilling, after 10 or 15 minutes, remove the tray and turn over the florets
- Once grilled, remove from the tray and arrange on serving platter or plate.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and sprinkle some chaat masala.
- Serve gobi tikka with mint chutney along with sliced onion and lemon wedges.
- You can also sprinkle some lemon juice on the tandoori gobi if you want.
- Enjoy tandoori gobi with bread, buns or rotis or naan.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later