Mushroom tikka recipe with video – This is a very easy recipe. You just need to marinate the mushrooms and then grill or bake the mushrooms in the oven. You can even use a tandoor or grill if you have these.
This mushroom tikka recipe is an adaptation of the famous amritsari fish or Amritsari maachli. though I had seen amritsari fish in the Punjabi dhabas (road side eateries) many times….
For the first time I had made this dish for one of my cooking classes tests. I was paired with another girl and together we made this.
In this recipe I have Grilled the mushrooms. however, you can fry them too. this same marination can be used with veggies like potatoes, aubergines, cauliflower and broccoli. You can even use tofu or paneer.
This mushroom tikka recipe does not use any yogurt/curd for marination. gram flour or besan is one of the main marinating ingredients along with ajwain or carom seeds. So the tikka does have the flavor of carom seeds. The rest of the spices and herbs all together enhance the overall taste and flavor in this dish.
When serving, always remember to sprinkle some chaat masala and lemon juice on the tandoori mushrooms. You can also keep the chaat masala and lemon slices in separate bowls, so that the rest of the folks add these as much they want.
This mushroom tikka Can be served as a starter. it can also be had with naan or rotis accompanied with a mint-yogurt chutney or any green chutney or a herbed dip. Some onion-lemon slices or even pickled onions go well with the tikka.
If you are looking for more Snacks recipes then do check:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
Easy Mushroom Tikka
- 200 to 250 grams button mushrooms
- ½ tablespoon ginger-garlic paste or crushed ginger-garlic or approx ½ inch ginger + 3-4 garlic crushed in a mortar and pestle
- ½ teaspoon ajwain (carom seeds)
- ¼ or ½ teaspoon red chili powder - ½ teaspoon red chili powder made the tikka a bit hot
- ¼ teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- a pinch of turmeric powder
- 3 to 4 tablespoon besan (gram flour or chickpea flour)
- 1 tablespoon oil - to be used only if grilling or baking the mushrooms in the oven
- regular salt or black salt or rock salt - as required
- chaat masala to sprinkle
- few chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- few drops of lemon juice as required and lemon wedges to be served
- 1 medium sized onion - sliced thinly with some salt & lemon juice added - served as an accompaniment.
preparation for mushroom tikka
- Rinse the mushrooms well in water. Drain and wipe them dry.
- Trim the earthy base stalks a little. In a mixing bowl, take all the mushrooms.
- Add all the spice powders, carom seeds, salt and oil. Mix well.
- Keep aside to marinate for 20-25 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees c.
- After 20-25 mins, add the gram flour and mix well.
baking mushroom tikka
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or till the mushrooms are cooked and tender and are browned.
- After 15-20 minutes when grilling, you can turn the skewers so that there is uniform grilling.
- If you want you can sprinkle or spray some oil on the mushrooms after 15-20 minutes.
- Sprinkle some lemon juice, chaat masala, coriander leaves on the mushroom tikka.
- Serve mushroom tikka hot or warm with a green chutney, rotis or naan or even bread.
- If frying the mushroom tikka, then don't add oil to the marination.
- Another option for frying - marinate the mushrooms first. Then make a thick flowing batter with gram flour/besan, water and salt. Dip the marinated mushrooms in the batter and deep fry or shallow fry.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.