Instant Mix Vegetable Rava Uttapam is an easy, quick and tasty breakfast dish made with rava (suji or cream of wheat). Instant Rava Uttapam is a quick non-fermented variation of the traditional Uttapam recipe made with Idli Dosa Batter.
You don’t need to grind any ingredients – just chop the vegetables, mix the rava and water, soak for 20 to 30 minutes and then start making these.
You can make them plain or top with onions, tomatoes or mixed grated veggies.
In the step by step photo guide, I have shown both the plain as well as mix vegetable version. The recipe can be doubled or tripled too.
Ever since I first made these, I have made them quite a number of times later. These tasty instant rava uttapam have a lot of pluses.
- First very good to taste. The number one factor that should be there in any recipe.
- Quick to make.
- On cooling down, they still remain soft. So good for tiffin box snack.
- No grinding.
- No fermentation.
- Just a soaking period of 20 to 30 minutes for the batter.
For making this tasty breakfast dish, you will need fine sooji or rava. Most such recipes which do not require fermentation, use yogurt or buttermilk.
However, I have used lemon juice and I feel the lemon juice ones taste better than the ones made with yogurt. Baking soda is essential in the recipe. If you do not have baking soda, then you could use fruit salt (eno) too.
Do try these instant mix veg suji uttapam and you as well as your family will love them. You can serve them with coconut chutney or mint coriander chutney.
How to make Instant Mix Vegetable Rava Uttapam
1. Take ½ cup fine variety of rava (semolina) in a bowl. Do note that the rava to be added is not roasted rava.
2. Add ½ cup water.
3. Mix well and keep the batter to rest for 20 to 30 minutes. You can even keep the batter for an hour.
4. Meanwhile when the batter is resting, you can slice or chop the onions or shallots, tomatoes and green chilies. Here I have used shallots. You can even use grated carrots, grated beetroot and sliced or chopped capsicum (bell pepper). For herbs you can add chopped fresh coriander leaves (cilantro), mint and finely chopped ginger.
5. Mix the chopped veggies and keep aside.
6. After 20 to 30 minutes, stir the batter again. By now the rava will absorb water and the batter will thicken. If the batter looks thin, then just add a few tablespoons of rava. If very thick, then add a few tablespoons of water.
7. Then add 3 tsp lemon juice.
8. Season with salt.
9. Mix very well.
10. Next add ¼ tsp baking soda or ⅛ tsp eno (fruit salt). You can also add ⅛ tsp baking soda, but then the texture will be less light and soft.
11. Stir and again mix very well.
12. Heat a tawa or griddle and spread some oil. You can also use a nonstick pan. For nonstick pan, do not use oil for spreading.
13. Take the batter in a large serving spoon.
14. Pour the batter and spread it gently. Don’t spread too much.
15. When the batter is still raw on the top, quickly add the onions-tomatoes-green chillies mix.
16. Gently press with a spatula so that the onions and tomatoes stick to the batter. drizzle some oil on the sides and the top.
17. When the base is cooked and lightly browned, flip gently. cook till the onions and tomatoes are light golden or golden.
18. Flip and serve the Instant Mix Vegetable Rava Uttapam hot. If you want you can flip a couple of times too for even cooking.
For making Plain Instant Sooji Uttapam
19. Spread the batter evenly on the hot tava.
20. Cook on a medium flame.
21. Drizzle some oil on top.
22. Flip when the base is lightly golden and the top is almost done or cooked well.
23. Flip again once or twice.
24. Serve hot or warm. You can also stack them in a casserole and serve later.
25. Serve Instant Suji Uttapam with coconut chutney or coriander chutney. They also go well with tomato ketchup.
More South Indian recipes
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you want more delicious vegetarian Indian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
Instant Mix Vegetable Rava Uttapam
- ½ cup fine variety of rava (sooji or semolina) or 100 grams (rava is not roasted)
- ½ cup water
- 3 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda or ⅛ teaspoon eno or fruit salt
- salt as per taste
- oil or ghee for greasing the pan and drizzling
- 1 small onion - chopped or 5 to 6 pearl onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small tomato - chopped
- 1 green chili - finely chopped
- Mix the rava and water in a bowl.
- Keep the batter to rest for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile when the batter is resting, you can slice or chop the onions, tomatoes and green chilies. You can even add grated beets, grated carrots and sliced capsicum (bell pepper). For herbs you can add chopped fresh coriander leaves (cilantro), mint and finely chopped ginger.
- Mix the chopped veggies and keep aside.
- After 20 to 30 minutes, stir the batter again.
- Then add 3 tsp lemon juice, salt and ¼ tsp baking soda or ⅛ tsp eno (fruit salt).
- Stir and mix very well.
Making instant mix vegetable rava uttapam
- Heat a tawa or griddle and spread some oil. You can also use a non stick pan.
- Take the batter in a large serving spoon.
- Pour the batter and spread it gently. Don't spread too much.
- When the batter is still raw from the top, add the onions-tomatoes-green chilies mix.
- Gently press the onions-tomatoes with the spatula, so that they stick to the batter.
- Drizzle some oil on the sides and the top.
- When the base is cooked and lightly browned, flip them gently.
- Cook till the onions and tomatoes are light golden or golden.
- Flip and serve hot. If you want you can flip a couple of times too for even cooking.
- For making instant plain suji uttapam, cook without any veggie toppings.
- Serve with coconut chutney or coriander chutney. They also go well with tomato ketchup.
- If making for kids then skip or reduce green chilies.
- You can also add chopped coriander leaves, mint leaves and ginger.
- Mix grated veggies like carrots, beetroots and finely shredded cabbage or finely chopped capsicum can also be added.
- You can also add grated cheese or paneer in the toppings.
- This recipe can be doubled or tripled.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.