paneer makhanwala recipe with step by step photos – paneer in a buttery, creamy, tangy and mildly sweet sauce. this delicious paneer makhanwala recipe has restaurant like flavors and taste.
the recipe is a variation of paneer butter masala, paneer lababdar and paneer makhani. basically makhani gravy is added in all these recipes. so some people say paneer makhani and paneer makhanwala is same recipe and some say paneer makhani and paneer buter masala are same. all this confusion is because of similar gravy and the butter (makhan) which goes in the preparation of these recipes.
i won’t go into this discussion because at the end what matters is the taste. basically all these makhani recipes taste awesome. generally the makhani gravy does not have onion. however, in this recipe, i have added onion along with some whole spices. if you like creamy buttery taste in a paneer dish then you will love this recipe.
the method to make paneer makhanwala is similar to my shahi paneer recipe except for the ingredients added. this is a rich curry and so is very filling. along with the butter and cream i have also added cashews. a good paneer recipe when you have guests at home or to make during a festival or celebration. i made this dish for my parents who have currently visited us.
paneer makhanwala is best served with naan or tandoori rotis. next best is to serve with chapatis or phulkas.
if you are looking for more paneer curry recipes then do check:
paneer makhanwala recipe below:
paneer makhanwala recipe
restaurant style paneer makhanwala recipe - paneer cubes in a rich buttery creamy makhani gravy.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
for ground makhani paste:
- 1 medium to large onion OR 80 grams onions OR ¾ cup roughly chopped onions
- 3 to 4 medium tomatoes OR 160 to 170 grams tomatoes OR 1.5 cups roughly chopped tomatoes
- ½ inch ginger - chopped (adrak)
- 3 to 4 medium garlic - chopped (lahsun)
- 2 single strands of mace (javitri)
- 2 to 3 green cardamoms (hari elaichi or choti elaichi)
- 1 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 2 to 3 cloves (laung or lavang)
- 2 tablespoon whole cashews OR about 10 to 12 cashews (kaju)
- 1 cup water
other ingredients for paneer makhanwala:
- 250 to 300 grams paneer - cut into cubes or squares (cottage cheese)
- 1 to 1.5 teaspoon kashmir red chili powder or deghi mirch (if using a hot variety of red chili powder, then add ½ to ¾ teaspoon)
- ¼ cup low fat cream (i used amul cream)
- 1 tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 1 green chili - slit (hari mirch)
- 1.5 cups water or as required
- ¾ teaspoon kasuri methi - crushed (dry fenugreek leaves)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon honey OR ½ teaspoon sugar - or add as required as per your taste
- 2 to 2.5 tablespoon butter at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon cream for garnishing
- 1 tablespoon grated paneer for garnishing (optional)
- ½ inch ginger - julienne
- salt as required
- few chopped coriander leaves for garnish (dhania patta)
how to make recipe
making makhani paste for paneer makhanwala:
- first mix chopped onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, cashews, mace, cinnamon, cloves and cardamoms with 1 cup water.
- cook everything til the tomatoes and onions soften without a lid. cook for about 14 to 15 minutes on a medium flame. allow this mixture to cool.
then add everything including the stock in a good blender or grinder. grind to a smooth paste.
remember there should be no small pieces of cashews. everything should be ground very well till smooth.
making paneer makhanwala recipe:
- heat butter in the same pan.
add tejpatta (indian bay leaf) and saute for a few seconds.
- add the ground makhani paste. stir well.
- sprinkle red chili powder. ( i have used kashmiri red chili powder which gives a good color. you can also use deghi mirch).
- stir well and saute the masala on a medium flame.
keep on stirring often. you have to saute the masala till you see the butter leaving the sides. it has to sauteed so well. this takes time but patience is the key.
takes about 20 to 22 mins on a medium to high flame. check the step by step pics (picture no 9) for the consistency of how the masala paste should be before you proceed to the next step.
- now add slit green chilies, salt and water.
- again stir very well. cook for 2 to 3 mins.
- then add honey or sugar and again stir.
- add the paneer cubes and simmer for 2 mins.
- add the cream, kasuri methi and garam masala.
stir and switch off the flame. check the taste of paneer makhanwala gravy and add more salt, honey or red chili powder as required.
- serve paneer makhanwala garnished with cream, grated paneer, ginger julienne, and coriander leaves, hot with naan or rotis.
as per ayurveda, honey should not be added to hot drinks or anything hot or heated above 40 degrees C/104 degrees F. the honey become toxic.
for this paneer makhanwala recipe, you can let the gravy cool down a bit and then add honey. you can also add sugar instead of honey.
note: as a blogger, if you you want to use this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to this recipe url on Veg Recipes of India. its a fair and ethical practice. for using our image please write to us. all our images and content are copyright protected.
how to make paneer makhanwala recipe:
1. first mix chopped onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, cashews, mace, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom with 1 cup water.
2. cook everything til the tomatoes and onions soften without a lid. allow this mixture to cool. about 14 to 15 minutes on a medium flame.
3. then add everything including the stock in a good blender or grinder. grind to a smooth paste. remember there should be no small pieces of cashews. everything should be ground very well to a smooth paste. add water if required while blending. but better to avoid if possible. as if you add water, then while sauting the masala splutters.
4. then heat butter in the same pan. add tejpatta/indian bay leaf (this is fresh tejpatta) and saute for a few seconds.
5. add the ground makhani paste. stir well.
6. sprinkle red chili powder. ( i have used kashmiri red chili powder which gives a bright red color. you can also use deghi mirch).
7. stir well and saute the masala on a medium flame. if the mixture starts spluttering, then keep a lid half covered on the pan. let the moisture reduce and the spluttering will stop. but do stir in between.
8. keep on stirring often. you have to saute the masala till you see the butter leaving the sides. it has to be sauteed so well. this takes time but patience is the key. you have to stir often. the masala would start clumping together and begin to reduce slowly.
9. here is how the masala should look like with the fat oozing from the sides. this sauting took me about 20 minutes on a medium flame.
10. now add slit green chilies, salt and water.
11. again stir very well and bring the gravy to a gentle simmer for about 2 to 3 mins.
12. add honey or sugar and again stir.
13. add the paneer cubes. stir gently and simmer for 2 mins.
14. add the cream, kasuri methi and garam masala.
15. stir and switch off the flame. check the taste of paneer makhanwala gravy and add more salt, honey or red chili powder if required.
16. serve paneer makhanwala garnished with cream, grated paneer, ginger julienne and coriander leaves, hot with naan or rotis.