Namak para recipe With step by step photos – namak pare is a crispy, tasty and savory fried snack which is quite popular in north India. A vegan recipe.
This Namak pare recipe has these crispies made with both whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour. You can make them with either or both. Personally I prefer to use whole wheat flour wherever possible.
This recipe is a crisp version and not the flaky version. They puff up and become crisp while frying. there is also a sweet version and these are called as Shakkar pare. the Maharashtrian counterpart of namak para is Shankarpali which is also a popular snack and also made during Diwali.
You can make them in bulk and store them in an airtight container and enjoy them with tea for the next few weeks.
How to make namak para
1: mix all the ingredients for the dough and knead into a firm dough. Cover and keep for 30 minutes.
2: take a medium-sized ball from the dough on a dusted board.
3: roll into a disc neither too thin nor too thick.
4: with a serrated knife make criss cross cuts on the disc.
5: collect these diamond-shaped patterns in a plate and cover them with a cloth to be fried later.
6: or directly fry namak para in hot oil.
7: fry till golden browned and crisp and then drain them on paper napkins to remove excess oil.
8: once they cool then Store namak para in an air tight box or container. they go very well with a cup of tea or as a snack.
More snacks recipes
Have you made this recipe and liked it? Please leave a star rating in the recipe card below or share the recipe on facebook, whatsapp, twitter & pinterest. For recipe updates Subscribe to our newsletter and follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Pinterest and Twitter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
- 1 cup atta (wheat flour flour)
- 1 cup maida (white flour or all purpose flour)
- 1 teaspoon ajwain (carom seeds)
- 1 teaspoon crushed black pepper - optional
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds - optional
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 to 3 tablespoon oil or ghee - i used sunflower oil
- ½ to ¾ cup water
- salt to taste
- oil for frying
making dough for namak pare
- Sieve the whole wheat flour (atta), white flour (maida), baking soda and salt together.
- Add the ajwain. Mix the carom seeds with the rest of the sieved flours.
- Add the oil or ghee. Add water and start to knead the dough.
- The dough should not be soft, but firm.
making namak pare
- Take medium sized balls from the dough and roll them on a dusted flour.
- Roll into a disc neither too thin nor too thick.
- With a serrated knife make criss cross patterns on the rolled dough.
- Remove the diamond shaped patterns and deep fry them in hot oil till crisp and golden browned.
- Drain them on paper napkins to remove excess oil.
- Once they cool down, then store them in an airtight box.
- You can serve namak para with tea or as a snack.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.