Collection of 40 tasty matar recipes – along with potatoes, Green peas is a versatile veggie and you can make a lot number of recipes with it. Add them to rice, to gravies, to stuffing’s for sandwiches and parathas or make salads or soups.
Apart from making dishes only with green peas, I also add them to recipes where other veggies are also included. Though aloo matar is a favorite curry with many, there are other delicious dishes too that you can make with matar.
In India, during winters, the market gets flooded with fresh tender green pea pods. green peas is not available through out the whole year. So I buy green peas in bulk, pod them and then freeze them in a container. They stay well for 4 to 5 months. Whenever I need matar for any dish, I just take them from the container and add to the dish. I avoid buying the store brought frozen peas.
I am sharing here a collection of recipes that I make with green peas. The collection includes gravy/curry based dishes as well as sabzi or dry dishes. I have also included some breakfast and snack recipes made with matar. The post is divided into 4 parts.
- Top 10 green peas recipes
- 13 matar recipes with gravy
- 8 matar recipes – dry and sabzi
- 10 snacks and other green peas recipes
Top 10 green peas recipes
1. Green peas masala – creamy and delicious green peas masala gravy. No onion no garlic recipe. this peas masala recipe does not use butter or cream like most of the restaurant style recipes I have posted. Cashews and milk powder are added to make this gravy creamy, smooth and slightly sweet.
2. Matar paneer – spiced and creamy curry with peas and cottage cheese. This recipe is not restaurant style but a simple homemade dish. The kinds which make for a homely comforting meal. a family recipe.
3. Aloo matar – a simple and home style Punjabi recipe of peas and potatoes curry.
4. Methi matar malai – popular Punjabi North Indian curry made with green peas, fenugreek leaves and cream (malai).
5. Peas pulao – aromatic green peas pulao recipe from Punjabi cuisine. The pulao has sweet tones because of peas or matar. This pulao can be made with fresh or frozen peas.
6. Green peas paratha – whole wheat flatbread stuffed with spiced mashed green peas filling. No onion no garlic recipe. The recipe is the most simplest version of matar paratha with minimal spices. So what you get is the taste and flavor of peas without being dominated by too many of spices.
7. Matar kachori – flaky & crisp Indian pastries stuffed with spiced & mashed peas. in hindi matar means peas and kachori is the fried & flaky pastry. These are like spiced empanadas. the matar kachori filling can be varied from savory to sweet, from potato & peas to lentils and even onions.
8. Matar mushroom – semi dry curry of peas and mushrooms made North Indian style.
9. Gajar matar sabzi – delicious dry sauteed carrots and fresh green peas.
10. Hara bhara kabab – kabab made from spinach, peas and potatoes. Nutritious as well as delicious.
Matar recipes with gravy
1. Dhaba style matar paneer – delicious and spicy dhaba style matar paneer recipe made with green peas and cottage cheese. this matar paneer has the flavors and taste of dhaba like food in it. the recipe is also easy. I have made the entire recipe in a pan. But you can even use a pressure cooker to save time.
2. Mushroom peas curry – rich and delicious South Indian mushroom & peas curry made with a coconut-cashew base along with rest of Indian spices.
3. Matar ka nimona – easy to prepare UP style matar ka nimona recipe. This is a gravy like dish prepared with fresh green peas, onions, tomatoes and spices. I have also added potatoes but they are optional.
4. Aloo gobi matar – lightly spiced curry with cauliflower, peas and potatoes.
5. Khoya matar makhana – rich Punjabi curry made with peas, fox nuts and khoya (evaporated milk solids). if you do not have makhana, then simply make the curry with peas and khoya. Instead of makhana you can also add paneer (cottage cheese).
6. Mushroom matar makhani – mushroom and peas in a creamy makhani sauce/gravy. the creaminess comes from ground cashews and tomatoes.
7. Potato peas korma – a South Indian style potato peas korma made with coconut, poppy seeds, cashews and red chilies.
8. Aloo matar paneer – a tasty curry or gravy made with potatoes, green peas and paneer in an onion-tomato base. The recipe I make is a simple and easy recipe with a home style taste.
9. Veg kurma – delicious South Indian veg kurma recipe made with mixed veggies.
10. Veg shakuti recipe – veg xacuti is a delicious spicy coconut based curry with complex flavors. Xacuti recipe is a popular dish from the Goan cuisine. I have used mix vegetables to make xacuti.
11. Anjeeri matar – a delicious gravy recipe made with figs, green peas and yogurt.
12. Poricha kuzhambu recipe – a healthy and delicious mix veggie based lentil gravy made with coconut+spice paste.
12. Veg chilli milli – spicy and tasty gravy made with mix veggies, tomatoes-cashew paste, green chilies and spices. usually cabbage, carrots, capsicum (green bell pepper) and green peas (matar) are added in this dish. Though, you can also use your choice of veggies.
Matar recipes – dry & sabzi
1. Dry aloo matar – tangy, mildly spiced dry sabzi of baby potatoes with green peas. Regular potatoes also can be used in the recipe instead of baby potatoes.
2. Matar ki sabzi recipe – simple, easy and delicious green peas sabzi that goes very well as a side dish with chapatis or phulkas. for the recipe you can use fresh or frozen green peas. Both work well. When I make matar sabzi, I steam the green peas. You can even boil the peas. Few more such easy dry sabzi recipes on blog are:
3. Gobi matar – dry and lightly spiced cauliflower peas recipe.
4. Bandh gobi matar – easy to prepare spiced Punjabi recipe of cabbage and green peas.
5. Aloo gajar matar – quick and easy dry curry made with potatoes, carrots and peas. No onion no garlic recipe.
6. Paneer matar bhurji – spicy blend of scrambled cottage cheese and peas with onions, green chilies, tomatoes and Indian spices.
7. Matar usal – a semi dry curry from the Maharashtrian cuisine made with fresh green peas, coconut and spices. Mild sweet tones and lightly spiced.
Snacks and other green peas recipes
1. Veg cutlet – crisp and tasty veg cutlet or patties made with mixed vegetables.
2. Koraishutir kochuri – fried bread with a mild and sweet green peas stuffing. A popular Bengali breakfast as well as snack.
3. Chooda matar recipe – UP style recipe of chura matar or matar poha. Chura matar is an evening snack which is popular and made in many homes in Uttar Pradesh during the winters.
4. Green peas sundal – sundal are dry legume-lentil preparation spiced, tempered along with fresh coconut. The recipe uses dry green peas. However can also be made with fresh green peas.
5. Samosa recipe – a classic and popular Indian snack stuffed with spiced potato peas filling. these samosa are flaky and crispy from outside with a tasty potato and peas stuffing.
6. Aloo phulkopir singara recipe (Bengali samosa) – singara also known as shingara is a popular tea time snack from bengal. The stuffing for the vegetarian version of singara is made from potatoes or cauliflower, potatoes and green peas. the taste of singara is completely different and no where close to a Punjabi samosa. in singara you will get a hint of sweetness and crunchiness of peanuts along with the earthy taste of cauliflower and potatoes.
7. Veg burger – this homemade veg burger is simply delicious to taste. The burger buns are stuffed with mix vegetable patties, spiced mayonnaise dressing and cucumber, tomato, onion slices.
8. Veg pulao – simple, aromatic and healthy veg pulao recipe
9. Brinji rice – vegetable brinji is a delicious one pot dish made with spices, coconut milk, rice and mix veggies. The recipes come from Tamil Nadu.
10. Paneer matar toast sandwich recipe – a simple and healthy toast sandwich recipe made with paneer, matar (green peas) and spices. This recipe makes for an easy brunch or snack.