khatti dal recipe with step by step photos. posting yet another delicious dal recipe, this time from the hyderabadi cuisine. this khatti dal is a popular lentil recipe made from split pigeon peas or arhar dal.
the word ‘khatti‘ translates to ‘sour’ in english. so the exact translation of ‘khatti dal‘ will be ‘sour lentils’. although the dal has sour taste but it is delicious and thats why i am posting it on the blog.
the dal is cooked first till the desired consistency and then tempered. the sourness comes from the tamarind. so you have a creamy, smooth, flavorful and sour dal.
by the way, one of my most popular recipe on the blog, is also from hyderabadi cuisine and that is hyderabadi veg biryani. i thought to mention it here so that you can have a look at this tried and tested vegetable biryani recipe 🙂
this khatti dal goes well with basmati rice, jeera rice, chappati or rotis. the dal recipe has been adapted from the cook book – Dastarkhan-E-Moghlai – 101 Easy to Cook Hyderabadi Recipes by Geeta Devi.
an interesting tale when i was on the lookout for this dal recipe. two well known indian chefs have also the same recipe with the same ingredients and almost exact proportions, as the one taken from the above book… and none of them have given credit.
now the book by geeta devi is an original one… that much i know. as some rare recipes are there too. both vegetarian and non vegetarian hyderabadi delicacies are in the book. a must buy if you are a lover of hyderabadi cuisine.
if you are looking for more dal recipes then do check:
hyderabadi khatti dal recipe card below:
hyderabadi khatti dal recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
pressure cooking the dal:
- 1 cup arhar dal (tuvar dal or split pigeon pea lentils)
- 2.5 cups water for pressure cooking the lentils
- 1 medium tomato - chopped
- ½ inch ginger, finely chopped or grated (adrak)
- 2 garlic, grated or crushed (lahsun)
- 1 pinch turmeric powder (haldi)
other ingredients for khatti dal:
- 1 tablespoon seedless tamarind soaked in ½ cup water for 30 mins
- 2 to 3 green chilies, chopped or slit - add as required depending on the hotness of the chilies
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¾ to 1 cup water to be added later or as required
- salt as required
- 3 to 4 tablespoon oil or ghee
- 2 to 3 dry red chilies (sookhi lal mirch) - kept whole or broken & deseeded - add as required
- 6 to 8 garlic, finely chopped (lahsun)
- 12 to 15 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
how to make recipe
cooking the lentils/dal:
- rinse the dal well. pressure cook the dal with the tomatoes, garlic, ginger and a pinch of turmeric powder, 2.5 cups water for 7-8 whistles or more till the lentils are cooked and mushy.
- squeeze the pulp from the tamarind directly into its bowl of water. when the pressure settles down on its own, open the lid.
- mash the dal with a madani, wooden spoon or hand blender till smooth.
- strain the tamarind pulp and add to the dal.
- also add the green chilies, turmeric, red chili and coriander powder. stir in the 3/4 or 1 cup water along with salt.
- keep the dal on a low flame and simmer for 8-10 minutes till the raw aroma of the tamarind goes away and the all the flavors have blended well and the dal has reached a medium consistency.
- cover and keep the cooked dal aside.
making tempering for khatti dal :
- heat oil in a small frying pan. crackle the cumin seeds first.
- then add the garlic and fry for 4-5 seconds. add the dry red chilies, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- fry till the red chilies change their color and the curry leaves become crisp.
- pour this tempering and stir.
- cover and keep aside the khatti dal for 5-6 minutes for the flavors to mingle.
- serve khatti dal with steamed basmati rice or jeera rice or roti.
for cooking the lentils in a pot:
- rinse and soak the lentils for atleast an hour.
- boil 3-4 cups water with a pinch of turmeric. add the drained lentils.
- whilst cooking remove the scum with a spoon. cook the lentils till the each lentils has become soft and mushy. add more hot water if required while cooking.
- once the lentils are cooked, you can the tomatoes, etc and simmer till the tomatoes are cooked and then proceed with the recipe.
note: as a blogger, if you you want to use this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to this recipe url on Veg Recipes of India. its a fair and ethical practice. for using our image please write to us. all our images and content are copyright protected.
how to make hyderabadi khatti dal recipe:
cooking the lentils/dal:
1. rinse 1 cup arhar dal (tuvar dal or split pigeon lentils) couple of times in water and then drain them well.
2. in a pressure cooker, add the rinsed arhar dal and 1 medium sized chopped tomato.
3. next add ½ inch ginger (adrak) which is grated or finely chopped. also add 2 garlic cloves (lahsun) which are grated or crushed.
4. also add a pinch of turmeric powder (haldi).
5. pour 2.5 cups water.
6. pressure cook the dal for 7-8 whistles or more till the lentils are cooked and mushy.
7. meanwhile soak 1 tablespoon seedless tamarind (imli) in ½ cup water for 30 minutes.
8. then squeeze the pulp from the tamarind directly in the same bowl in which tamarind was soaked.
9. when the pressure settles down on its own, open the lid.
10. mash the dal with a madani or wooden spoon or hand blender till smooth.
11. strain the tamarind pulp and add to the dal.
12. stir well.
13. next add 2 to 3 chopped or slit green chilies (hari mirch) and ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi).
14. also add ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder) and 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder).
15. mix very well.
16. pour ¾ or 1 cup water.
17. also add salt as required and stir.
18. keep the dal on a low flame and simmer for 8-10 minutes till the raw aroma of the tamarind goes away and the all the flavors have blended well and the dal has reached a medium consistency.
19. cover and keep the cooked dal aside.
preparing tempering for khatti dal:
20. measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making tempering for khatti dal.
21. heat 3 to 4 tablespoons of ghee or oil in a small frying pan.
22. crackle ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera) first.
23. then add 6 to 8 garlic cloves (lahsun) which are finely chopped.
24. fry garlic cloves for 4 to 5 seconds.
25. then add 2 to 3 dry red chilies (sookhi lal mirch), 12 to 15 curry leaves (kadi patta) and 1 pinch asafoetida (hing).
26. fry till the red chilies change their color and the curry leaves become crisp.
27. pour this tempering over the dal.
28. stir well.
29. cover and keep aside the khatti dal for 5-6 minutes for the flavors to mingle.