saffron rice recipe with step by step photos – saffron rice or kesar rice recipe is made in many cuisines of the world. saffron is loved by chefs because of the aroma and the unique taste it adds to any dish. saffron is one of the most expensive spice grown and used in many parts of the world.
saffron also known as kesar in hindi, is not only added for aroma but also for the fact that it has many health benefits. it is anti-depressant, anti-oxidant and has anti-cancer properties and also act as anti-aging agent. it is also good for digestion, blood circulation and good for eye sight.
just a pinch of saffron is enough to make your dish full of its fragrant sweet aroma and its health benefits.
one of the best ways to have the indian curries or dals is serving them with rice, preferably steamed basmati rice. however, instead of serving just plain steamed basmati rice, you can perk up your rice by the addition of spices or herbs. these add a lot of depth and flavor not only to the rice but also to the entire meal combination.
some ways through which you can add a lot of flavor and aroma to the rice is by making:
this saffron rice recipe is very easy to make. just fry the whole spices in oil, add rice and saffron. stir and add water. let the rice cook till its perfectly done. just cooked and not overly done.
addition of saffron gives the rice a light yellow color as shown in below pic. you can also add a pinch of turmeric powder for a slightly rich yellow color.
i served the saffron rice with punjabi rajma. this beautiful rice dish can also be served with any indian curry like vegetable kadai, lauki kofta, paneer butter masala, palak paneer. it will also go well with kadhi and dals like dal fry, dal tadka, dal makhani, chana dal etc.
saffron rice recipe card below:
saffron rice recipe | kesar rice recipe
easy, aromatic and light saffron rice or kesar rice recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1.5 cups basmati rice
- 2 to 3 generous pinch of saffron (kesar)
- ¾ teaspoon shah jeera (caraway seeds)
- 2 green cardamoms (choti elaichi)
- 1 tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 1 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 2 cloves (lavang)
- 1 strand of mace (javitri)
- 3 to 3.25 cups water
- 1 pinch turmeric (haldi) - optional
- 1.5 tablespoons ghee or oil
- a few coriander leaves or mint leaves for garnish (optional)
- salt as required
how to make recipe
rinse the rice for 3 to 4 times in water or till the water runs clear of starch.
soak the rice for 20 to 30 mins in water.
- drain the water and keep the rice aside.
making saffron rice:
heat oil or ghee in a deep pan or pot.
- add all the whole spices including shahjeera.
fry till the spices crackle.
then add soaked rice.
stir for 1 to 2 minutes.
- crush the saffron with your fingers or in a mortar-pestle and add these to the rice.
add turmeric powder now if you plan to add it. stir.
- add water along with salt.
- cover the pan tightly and let the rice cook till the grains become separately cooked and absorb all the water.
- do check the rice for a couple of times when its cooking.
- once done, fluff gently with a fork.
- serve the saffron rice garnished with coriander or mint leaves with any dal or indian curry.
how to make saffron rice recipe:
1. measure all the ingredients and keep ready for the saffron rice recipe.
2. rinse the rice 3 to 4 times in water or till the water runs clear of the starch.
3. soak the rice for 20 to 30 minutes in enough water.
4. later, drain all the water and keep the rice aside.
5. heat 1.5 tablespoons ghee or oil in a pan or pot.
6. add ¾ teaspoon shahjeera (caraway seeds), 2 green cardamoms, 1 tej patta, 1 inch cinnamon stick, 2 cloves and a strand of mace. on a side note, if you are wondering why the tej pasta is green – its a fresh tej pasta from the balcony garden.
7. let the whole spices crackle and the aroma of spices will be felt.
8. add soaked rice.
9. stir for 1 to 2 minutes very well but gently, so that the ghee coats the rice grains.
10. crush the saffron with your fingers or in a mortar-pestle.
11. add the crushed saffron to the rice.
12. add a pinch of turmeric powder now, if you plan to add it.
13. stir well.
14. add 3 cups of water or as required.
15. sprinkle salt as required.
16. cover the pan tightly and let the rice cook till the grains become separately cooked and absorb all the water.
17. do check the rice for a couple of times when its cooking.
18. once done, fluff gently with a fork.
serve the saffron rice garnished with coriander or mint leaves with any dal like dal makhani, dal fry, dal tadka or indian curry recipes like veg kadai, rajma masala, chana masala, matar paneer, kadai paneer gravy, kadai mushroom.
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe