goan style easy bhindi recipe with step by step photos – here is another simple okra recipe from the goan cuisine. it is also known as ‘mergol de quiabos’. this is an easy to make and completely no fat. the recipe posted here is made without any oil.
this bhindi ki bhaji recipe is adapted from the book “the essential goa cookbook” by maria teresa menezes. it is similar to the one which my mom makes except for the method of cooking. my mom sautes the onions, ginger, garlic etc all in oil first and then adds the bhindi/okra. in this recipe, everything is added together in the pan. easy… isn’t it?
from a long time i wanted to try a no oil recipe. it is remarkable that one really does not miss the oil in this goan style okra. it was such a good okra dish… slightly sweet and sour… sweet due to onions-sugar and sour due to vinegar-tomatoes.
there are different ways of preparing dry sabzi with bhindi. you can also have a look at these bhindi recipes:
the ingredients are our everyday ingredients. a dish which is so simple and easy to make. a keeper recipe. this bhindi bhaji best goes with plain bread, rotis or phulkas and even dal-rice.
if you are looking for more bhindi recipes then do check:
goan bhindi ki bhaji
INGREDIENTS FOR goan bhindi ki bhaji
- 250 grams okra (bhindi or lady finger) - chopped
- 1 medium sized onion - chopped
- 1 large tomato - chopped
- 1 green chili - chopped. you can also add 2 green chilies
- 3 small to medium garlic cloves (lahsun) - chopped
- ½ teaspoon chopped ginger (adrak)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar or brown vinegar or white vinegar - i used balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water - you can also add 3 tablespoons water or as required
- salt as required
- sugar as required
HOW TO MAKE goan bhindi ki bhaji
preparation for bhindi ki bhaji recipe
- rinse the bhindi (okra) well with water.
- dry them on a large plate on their own or wipe with a kitchen towel.
- remove the head and the tail and chop the bhindi into small pieces.
- chop the other ingredients also - onion, tomato, green chilli, ginger and garlic.
making goan bhindi bhaji
- in a pan or kadai/wok add all the chopped ingredients. also add a teaspoon of vinegar or balsamic vinegar or brown vinegar.
- sprinkle salt and sugar as required.
- cover and cook on a low heat.
- stir in between so that the okra does not stick to the pan.
- add around 2-3 tbsp water if required.
- cook for about 15-20 minutes or till the okra is done.
- serve bhindi sabzi with plain bread, rotis or phulkas or as a side dish with dal-rice.
preparation to make goan bhindi ki bhaji recipe
1. rinse the bhindi (okra) well with water.
2. dry them on a large plate on their own. or else you can wipe dry them with a kitchen towel.
3. remove the head and the tail and discard them.
4. chop the bhindi into small pieces.
5. chop the other ingredients also – onion, tomato, green chilli, ginger and garlic. keep everything ready.
making bhindi ki bhaji
6. in a pan or kadai/wok add all the chopped onion, tomato, green chilli, ginger and garlic. also add a teaspoon of vinegar or balsamic vinegar or brown vinegar. addition of vinegar helps in reducing the sliminess in the okra.
7. add salt and sugar as required.
8. cover and cook on a low heat.
9. stir after every 4 to 5 minutes, so that the okra does not stick to the pan.
10. if the okra stars sticking to the pan, then add around 2 to 3 tablespoon water, if required. or else you can skip adding water. continue to cover and cook.
11. cook overall for about 15 to 20 minutes or till the okra is done.
serve bhindi ki bhaji with plain bread, rotis or phulkas or as a side dish with dal-rice.