The Glossary of legumes and lentils or pulses used mainly in Indian Cuisine is presented here. The first column consists of their names in English, whilst the second column consists of their names translated in Hindi.The names of the legumes, lentils are listed in an alphabetical order.
Just for your information :-
- In Hindi, the word ‘ Sabut’ is used for lentils which are whole.
- The word ‘ Dal ‘ is used for split lentils.
- The word ‘ Dhuli ‘ is used for split and husked/skinned lentils.
|bengal gram flour||besan||kadalai mavu|
|bengal gram spilt and skinned||chana dal, chane ki dal,|
|bengal gram whole||kala chana, chana||harbhara|
|black eyed beans, cow peas||lobhiya, lobiya, chawli, chavli||karamani|
|black gram skinned||urad dhuli||ulluttam paruppu|
|black gram split||urad chilka|
|black gram whole||urad sabut, urad saboot||muzhu ulundhu|
|white chick peas,|
safed chole, chole
hyacinth bean, lablab
|green gram dal||moong dal||payatham paruppu|
|green gram split||moong chilka||mugachi dal|
|green gram whole||moong sabut, mung sabut||payaru||mug|
|horse gram||kulthi, kulith||kollu|
|lentil dal, pink lentil||masoor dal, masar dal,|
|moth bean||moth, matki, mataki||taittai pairu|
|peas||mutter, matar, mattar||pattanni|
|dried green peas||hara matar|
|dried white peas||safed matar|
|black peas||kala vatana|
|peas spilt, green peas spilt||matar dal, green matar dal|
|pigeon peas spilt and skinned||arhar, tuvar, toor, tur dal||tovarum paruppu|
|red kidney beans||rajma||rajma|
note – if you know the name of any legumes/lentils/pulses in any regional indian language and want to update it in this post… then do leave it in the comment section and we will update the post.
if we have missed any legumes, then also you can let us know. thanks in advance.
Related Culinary Posts:
- Glossary of Indian Fruits
- Glossary of Indian Spices in English and Hindi
- Glossary of Cereals Grains in English and Hindi
- Glossary of Indian Dry Fruits in English and Hindi
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe