suran chips recipe with step by step photos – suran also known as elephant foot yam is a tuber easily found in india.
i am not sure about other indian cuisines but it is commonly used in the kerala cuisine. suran was a regular in my house and i would love this veggie in the form of stir fries, in curry dishes and also as chips.
i have introduced elephant foot yam to a few folks including the hubby who had never had it before and they all loved it. so when you get your hands on elephant foot yam, do try these tuber veggie.
a few health benefits of elephant foot yam (suran):
- high in fibre and in omega 3 fatty acids.
- low glycemic index – hence good for people suffering from diabetes.
- cools the body.
this is my mom’s way of making the chips. its a good side veggie dish with a dal rice combo or sambar rice or rasam rice combo. other recipes i make from yam is suran vada and yam fry recipe. you can also check these baked potato chips, banana chips and sun dried potato chips recipe.
peeling and cutting the yam can be a little problematic. you need a sharp and heavy knife to cut the whole yam. so be careful when you are doing it. better to get a halved or quartered yam from the vegetable vendor.
secondly your hands may get itchy while cutting the yam. to avoid this, apply some oil to your hands whilst chopping the yam. a souring agent like tamarind or lemon is added to the yam to reduce the itchiness. for this recipe we have always used lemon juice.
this is a simple and an easy suran chips recipe which has only 4 ingredients in it, except yam – turmeric, red chili powder, lemon juice and salt.
for a variation and to give a garlicky touch, i added some leftover red garlic chutney from the previous day’s dabeli. but this is not essential. the chips taste excellent with the 4 ingredients.
elephant foot yam chips or suran chips recipe below:
suran chips recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 250 grams elephant foot yam, (suran or zimikand) peeled, washed and sliced.
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 to 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt as required
- oil for frying, as required
- a few coriander leaves and lemon wedges for garnish
how to make suran chips recipe
- in a bowl mix the yam/suran with the rest of the spice powder, lemon juice and salt uniformly.
- marinate the yam slices for 20-30 minutes.
- shallow fry the yam slices in oil on a flat pan or tava.
- drain the suran chips kitchen tissues to remove excess oil.
- serve suran chips hot garnished with coriander leaves and lemon wedges.
- the marinated yam slices can also be baked instead of frying but i have never tried baking the yam chips.
- as a substitute tamarind juice can be added instead of lemon juice.
note: as a blogger, if you you want to use this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to this recipe url - suran chips recipe on Veg Recipes of India. its a fair and ethical practice. for using our image please write to us. all our images and content are copyright protected.
step by step elephant foot yam or suran chips recipe:
1: peel, rinse and slice the yam in 0.5 cm slices. add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, lemon juice and salt to the yam slices. you can also make the marination first in a small bowl and then add it to the yam slices.
2: mix it well so that each and every yam slice gets uniformly coated with the marination.
3: marinate for 20-30 minutes. this how the marinated yam will appear after marination.
4: in a flat pan or tava, heat oil and add the marinated yam slices.
5: shallow fry the yam slices, turning over when one side is cooked. turn over for a few more times for uniform frying.
6: fry them till they are crisp, cooked and well browned. drain the fried yam chips on a kitchen tissue.
whilst serving suran chips, garnish with some coriander leaves and serve hot. additionally some lemon wedges can also be served with the yam.