yam fry recipe – sharing a family recipe of yam which has been a staple at my home for many years.
this lightly sauteed and spiced dish is made with elephant foot yam or ‘suran‘, as we call this tuber in hindi. this dish was and is a personal favorite. i often make this yam fry when i make sambar or rasam or even with dal.
i don’t know the origin of the recipe, whether its from the kerala cuisine or tamil nadu. we have been following this recipe for a long time now and it is a family favorite.
to make this yam fry recipe, the yam is cooked or steamed till tender and then sauteed with spices and grated coconut. the dish does not contain ingredients like onions, garlic or ginger. dry red chilies are added for seasoning and they give a nice smoky flavor to the dish. if red chilies are not available, then you can add green chilies.
a simple and delicious yam fry with flavors coming from the spices, curry leaves, red chilies and coconut. few more yam recipes i make at times are:
apart from serving elephant yam fry as a side dish, it also goes well with chapatis. makes for a nice tiffin box lunch.
yam fry recipe below:
yam fry recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 3 to 3.5 cup chopped elephant foot yam (suran or zimikand)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 to 1.5 tablespoon coconut oil or any vegetable oil
- 2 dry red chilies (sookhi lal mirch) - deseeded and broken or 1 to 2 green chilies, chopped
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 8 to 9 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 3 to 4 tablespoon grated fresh coconut
- 1 to 1.5 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- a generous pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- salt as required
- enough water for pressure cooking or steaming the yam
how to make yam fry recipe
pressure cooking yam:
peel and chop the yam (suran) into cubes. rinse them well in water.
- in a pressure cooker, add the yam, turmeric powder and a bit of salt.
- pour enough water to cover the yam completely.
- pressure cook for 5 to 6 whistles or more till the yam has completely cooked and softened.
- drain the yam and keep aside.
making yam fry recipe:
- heat coconut oil in a frying pan. add the mustard seeds and urad dal.
- crackle the mustard seeds first and allow the urad dal to become a maroonish color.
- then add the cumin seeds and stir.
- add the broken red chilies, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- saute till the color of the red chilies change.
- then add the drained yam. stir.
- then add the coconut. season with salt. stir and saute for a few minutes.
- lastly add chopped coriander leaves and stir again
serve yam fry as a side dish with sambar or rasam or with chapatis.