Drumstick curry recipe – this is one of the most simplest and easiest North Indian curry made with drumsticks.
These drumsticks (In hindi saijan ki phalli) are pods of the plant Moringa oleifera and not chicken drumsticks. Mentioning this, as on a few of my previous drumstick posts, I get comments mentioning which drumsticks I am using.
This onion tomato based drumstick curry is thin, light and a bit spicy. It has got full-on flavors of the drumsticks in it. Goes well with steamed rice or a rice based dish like dal khichdi.
This is an easy and quick drumstick recipe if you have drumsticks at home. Usually I add drumsticks in avial or Sambar or in dals or I make Drumstick sambar. this is one of those few recipes which I make with drumstick only. This Drumstick curry can also be paired as a side dish with dal-rice combination. It’s overall a healthy side dish.
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
grind to a smooth paste
- 1 medium sized onion, roughly chopped
- 2 medium sized tomatoes, roughly chopped
- ½ inch ginger, chopped
- 2-3 garlic, chopped
other ingredients for drumstick recipe
- 4 to 5 medium drumsticks
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon punjabi garam masala or regular garam masala
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 to 1.5 cups water
- 2 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
- few coriander leaves for garnish (cilantro leaves)
- Rinse, peel and chop the drumsticks into 3 to 4 inches pieces long.
- Make a smooth paste without adding any water from the onions, tomatoes, ginger and garlic.
making drumstick curry
- Heat oil in a pan. Crackle the cumin first. Then add the ground paste.
- Be careful when adding the paste. It might splurge.
- Stir well and then add the turmeric, red chili powder and asafoetida.
- Saute stirring often till you see oil leaving the sides of the masala.
- Add the drumsticks and stir so that the masala coats them well.
- Pour water and season with salt. Cover the pan and let the drumsticks cook till they become tender and well cooked. They should not break and become mushy.
- Lastly sprinkle garam masala and stir. Garnish the drumstick gravy with coriander leaves.
- Serve drumstick curry with steamed rice or any khichdi.
- You can adjust the spices as required.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later