Bottle gourd soup recipe with step by step photos. Here comes a creamy and yummy bottle gourd soup.
Courtesy my Spanish friend Soma. So this one’s a Spanish recipe for making gourd soup. Bottle gourd is also known as lauki, ghiya, dudhi in India.
Usually in Spain they make this soup with zucchini/courgettes. but my friend one day made this soup with bottle gourd and the result was an amazing, thick, rich, creamy and nutritious bottle gourd soup.
she shared this lauki soup recipe with me and I made the soup recipe a couple of times. I want to share this as most of us do not like bottle gourd and that includes me too. This recipe will change that for folks who do not like bottle gourd as it has done for me.
I love bottle gourd in this form. it’s also excellent for children and old people as bottle gourd has a lot of health benefits.
The bottle gourd soup can be served with bread, rice or as a starter. You could even have it as a brunch or a light night meal. Also you could make the same recipe with zucchini/courgettes.
Lets begin bottle gourd soup or lauki soup
1. Rinse the bottle gourd in enough water and peel it. And what do you do with the peels. You could make a fab coconut chutney with the peels and there you have a bottle gourd peels chutney. Chop the bottle gourd and put it in a pan.
2. Now chop the onions and garlic and also add these to the same pan.
3. Add water to the veggies.
4. Just enough water covering the chopped gourd, onions and garlic.
5. Put it on fire, cover the pan and steam the bottle gourd for 15-20 mins till they become soft.
6. In Spain they don’t do it as I have done. They first saute the onions, garlic in olive oil. Then add the bottle gourd and then add the water and let the veggies cook. I was too lazy this day, so I put everything in one pan for the veggies to cook. After 15-20 mins you see your bottle gourd will soften and look great like in the pic below.
7. Now let the veggies and stock cool. In a blender or food processor blend the veggies. But keep the stock aside.
8. In another pan now heat the olive oil or any neutral-flavored oil like sunflower oil. Instead of oil you can also use butter. Add the pureed bottle gourd, onions and garlic.
9. Flavor it with the dry herbs and black pepper. Also add salt.
10. Add the stock to get the consistency you want and simmer for 5-6 mins. Before you switch off the fire add the cream cheese. In Spain they add some cream and some cheese instead of cream cheese.
11. Give the soup a swirl and Serve the Bottle gourd soup hot with bread. You could also serve it with bread croutons.
If you are looking for more Soup recipes then do check:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
lauki soup | bottle gourd soup
- 1 long bottle gourd (lauki or ghia or dudhi)
- 2 onions or 4-5 scallions
- 4 to 5 garlic
- 2 teaspoon mixed herbs
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
- 3 to 4 tablespoon cream cheese
- 3 tablespoon olive oil or any neutral-flavored oil like sunflower oil or butter.
- salt to taste
preparation to make bottle gourd soup
- Rinse the bottle gourd in enough water and peel it. Chop the bottle gourd and put it in a pan.
- Chop the onions and garlic and also add it to the same pan.
- Add enough water just about covering the chopped gourd, onions and garlic.
- Cover the pan and steam the veggies for 15-20 mins.
- Now let the veggies and stock cool.
making bottle gourd soup
- in a blender or food processor blend the veggies. But keep the stock aside.
- In another pan now heat the olive oil. Add the pureed bottle gourd, onion, garlic.
- Flavor it with the dry herbs and black pepper and salt.
- Add the stock to get the consistency you want and simmer for 5-6 mins.
- Before you switch off the fire add the cream cheese. Instead of cream cheese you could add some cream and also some cheese.
- Give the bottle gourd soup a swirl and serve the soup hot with bread.
- you could make the same recipe with zucchini/courgettes.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later