veg balls in hot garlic sauce recipe – popular indo chinese recipe. the hot garlic sauce is sweet, sour, spicy, hot and umami. this is one mouth watering recipe which can be served as a main course dish or even as a starter.
there were too much of chopped veggies left after making the veg manchurian. since we like indo chinese food, i settled to make the veg balls in hot garlic sauce.
along with other ingredients added, schezuan sauce made from red chili paste, garlic, schezuan pepper & black pepper is also added to the garlic sauce.
i made the red chili paste by scratch by soaking the dry chilies overnight and then grinding it to a smooth paste. you can use ready made red chili paste too.
schezuan pepper has a strong aroma and a somewhat tingling taste that can numb your tongue. they are not pungent at all. read more about schezuan or sichuan pepper on wiki here.
also the variety of sichuan pepper i get here are known as teppal or tirphal. in the konkan & goan cuisine food tirphal is used to flavor fish or prawn curries. they are also added to some veggie dishes here. below is the pic of a variety of schezuan pepper i get here.
now if you don’t have or cannot get schezuan pepper, it is alright.
you can still make the schezuan sauce with the other ingredients which are easily available. also you can use the ready made schezuan sauce.
but trust me, it is always better to make your own pastes and sauces as they are so rich in the flavors & tastes that no outside sauces can beat the homemade ones. plus no additives or preservatives are there in the homemade sauces. you can control what you add to the sauce.
just spare some time making the hot garlic sauce and the veg balls. combine both and there you have a delicious and spicy dish that can even be served with plain rice or noodles.
p.s – to make good veg balls for any indo-chinese recipe, step by step method on this post here of veg manchurian. the recipe for the sauces has been lightly adapted from tarla dalal’s easy chinese cooking.
veg balls in hot garlic sauce recipe below:
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 3 tbsp red chili paste (details on how to make in notes below)
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- ½ tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onion or spring onions/scallions
- 3-4 schezuan pepper, crushed
- 1 tbsp chopped celery
- ½ tsp black pepper powder or freshly crushed black pepper
- sugar & salt as required
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup finely chopped cabbage
- ½ cup finely chopped bell pepper
- ¼ cup finely chopped spring onion/scallion greens
- ½ tsp freshly crushed black pepper or black pepper powder or white pepper powder
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour/maida
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- salt to taste
- 4-5 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- ½ inch finely chopped ginger
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped spring onions/scallions (reserve some greens for garnish)
- 1 tbsp corn flour dissolved in 2 tbsp water
- 1.5 cups water.
- 1 tsp soya sauce
- 3 tbsp of the homemade schezuan sauce
- ground pepper & salt as required
- heat oil in a pan.
- add the chopped garlic. fry for a minute.
- add the chopped onion and fry till they become transparent.
- now add the red chili paste, tomato sauce, soy sauce, celery and crushed schezuan pepper.
- fry for 1 or 2 minutes.
- season with salt, sugar and pepper.
- the sauce is ready.
- mix all the ingredients listed under veg balls.
- keep aside for 15-20 minutes.
- shape into small round balls and shallow fry or deep fry till golden browned on a moderately hot oil.
- drain on kitchen tissues and keep aside.
- you can use the same oil used for frying the veg balls... about 2 tbsp of oil.
- add the chopped spring onion and fry till they become tranparent.
- now add the ginger, garlic and green chilies.
- fry them for a minute.
- add soya sauce, the schezuan sauce we made, salt and pepper.
- fry again for a minute and mix the sauces well.
- add vegetable stock or water and stir.
- when the mixture comes to a boil, add cornflour paste slowly and stir.
- make sure lumps are not formed.
- let the gravy thicken and then add the fried veg balls.
- serve vegetable balls in hot garlic sauce garnished with spring onion greens.
Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media