this is my quick hotel style coconut chutney recipe that goes extremely well with idli, dosa, uttapam, masala paniyaram and medu vada. this chutney also goes well with upma. this is also a request post.
i shall be posting some more coconut chutney recipes with different variations. e.g. in this coconut chutney recipe tempering method is used. coconut is one ingredient that is always there in my kitchen, be it fresh coconut or dessicated coconut.
what contributes majorly to the earthy taste of this hotel style coconut chutney is roasted bengal gram or chana dal.
here there is no tempering but there is some before work which does not take much time. that is of frying the curry leaves.… and they get fried quickly releasing their aromatic flavors in the oil. thats what you need to do and then grind everything….. and lo the chutney is ready.
the coconut chutney can be made with frozen or fresh coconut. to avoid grating coconut in the last minute, i usually grate the whole coconut and then freeze it. when i want, i just take some of the frozen coconut and my job is easy whether it is making chutneys, sambar or vegetable stir fries.
steps to make quick hotel style coconut chutney recipe:
1: first heat oil and then add the curry leaves. fry them till they become crisp and this takes just about 1 or 2 minutes.
2: put all the ingredients along with the curry leaves and the oil in a chutney grinder or small blender. i always use my magic bullet for making chutneys.
3: add some water and grind to a smooth chutney.
4: serve the coconut chutney with dosa or idli or medu vada. consume when fresh. at the most you can freeze the chutney and use for a couple of days. in cold temperatures the chutney will stay longer than in warmer or hotter temperatures.
hotel style coconut chutney recipe below:
- ½ cup grated fresh or frozen coconut
- ¼ cup roasted chana dal/bengal gram
- ½ inch ginger, chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 15-20 curry leaves
- 2 tsp oil (sunflower or coconut oil)
- salt as required
- wash and rinse the curry leaves.
- dry them on a kitchen towel.
- heat oil in a small pan.
- add the curry leaves and fry till they become crisp.
- let the curry leaves-oil mixture become warm.
- add the rest of the ingredients along with the curry leaves and oil in a chutney grinder or small blender.
- add some water, about ½ to ¾ cup (depends on what consistency of chutney you want) and blend to a smooth chutney.
- check the salt and add more if required.
- serve the hotel style coconut chutney with idli, dosa, medu vada or uttapam.