aloo gobi curry recipe with step by step photos – a recipe that is made in many ways all over india. the aloo gobi recipe that is posted here is more of dhaba style (roadside eateries). i got this recipe from a book where a dhaba owner had shared his dhaba recipes.
this is aloo gobi curry version. i already have a dry version of aloo gobi and aloo gobi masala recipe posted on the blog. the curry is onion-tomato based and hence this aloo gobi pairs very well with rotis, naan or steamed or jeera rice.
you have to make a paste of the onion, tomatoes, ginger and garlic and saute it in oil for some time after the oil starts to leaves the sides of the masala paste. then add the cauliflower florets, potatoes and simmer till the veggies are cooked.
easy… isn’t it… and delicious too. you can adjust the quantity of spice powders, the way you want. i usually make it a little spicy.
aloo gobi curry recipe below:
- 1.5 cups chopped cauliflower (phool gobi) OR 200 grams of gobi
- 1.5 cups chopped or diced potatoes (aloo) OR 4 medium sized potatoes
- 2 to 3 tablespoons oil
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder), optional
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 to 1.5 cups water for pressure cooking and 2 to 2.5 cups for cooking in a pot/pan. add as required
- 2.5 to 3 cups water for blanching cauliflower
- ½ to 1 teaspoon kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves), crushed
- few coriander leaves (dhania patta), for garnishing
- 1 large onion - roughly chopped
- 1 large tomato - roughly chopped
- ½ inch ginger (adrak)
- 2 to 3 small to medium garlic cloves (lahsun)
- firstly remove the gobi/cauliflower florets. wash them in running water.
- then boil 2.5 to 3 cups of water in a pan with salt. close the burner.
add the gobi/cauliflower florets in the salted warm water and keep covered for 5 to 6 minutes. this step is optional.
- peel and dice the potatoes.
- make a smooth paste in a blender with the onion, tomato, ginger and garlic. no need to add water while making the paste.
- heat oil in a pan or kadai. add the ground paste and stir.
- be careful as it splutters when you add it to the oil.
- add all the spice powders one by one.
- fry till the oil leaves the sides of the masala paste.
- continue frying till the whole masala, comes together and changes color with oil leaving the sides.
- add the chopped cauliflower and potatoes. stir.
- then add water, salt and stir.
- cover and cook till the potatoes and cauliflower are cooked and tender.
- check a couple of times. if the water dries up too much whilst cooking, then add some more water.
- lastly add crushed kasuri methi and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- stir in chopped coriander leaves or garnish.
- serve aloo gobi hot with rotis, naan or steamed rice or jeera rice.
how to make dhaba style aloo gobi curry recipe:
1. firstly remove the gobi (cauliflower florets). the cauliflower florets should be about 1.5 cups. i used around 200 grams of gobi.
2. wash them in running water.
3. then boil 2.5 to 3 cups of water in a pan with salt.
4. once the water bubbles, close the burner.
5. add the gobi in the salted warm water and keep covered for 5 to 6 minutes. this step is optional. i do it to get rid of insects.
6. peel and dice the potatoes. the diced potatoes should be around 1.5 cups. i used 4 medium sized potatoes.
7. chop 1 large sized onion, 1 large sized tomato, 1 inch ginger (peeled) and 2-3 garlic cloves.
8. add the chopped onion, tomato, ginger and garlic to the blender jar.
9. make a smooth paste in a blender with the onion, tomato, ginger and garlic. no need to add water while making the paste.
10. measure and keep all the spice powders ready. take about ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon red chili powder, 1 teaspoon of coriander powder, ½ teaspoon of garam masala powder. you can take about ½ to 1 teaspoon of crushed kasuri methi which has to be added towards the end.
11. heat 2 to 3 tablespoons of oil in a pan or kadai. add the ground paste and stir. be careful as it splutters when you add it to the oil.
12. mix and stir well.
13. add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder.
15. stir well.
16. fry till the oil leaves the sides of the masala paste. you have to continue frying till the whole masala,comes together and changes color with oil leaving the sides.
17. add the blanched cauliflower florets.
18. also add the chopped potatoes along with 2 to 2.5 cups of water.
19. add salt as required.
20. stir well.
21. cover and cook till aloo and gobi are cooked and tender.
22. check a couple of times. if the water dries up too much whilst cooking, then add some more water.
23. lastly add ½ to 1 teaspoon of crushed kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves) and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
24. add few chopped coriander leaves for garnish.
Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes