Dahi Sev Batata Puri is yet another chaat snack from the lands of Mumbai (Bombay). After having written about the chaat recipes from Mumbai – Pani Puri and Ragda Pattice… this is my third post on the sweet, sour, tangy, spicy, crispy……. chaat…. again from Mumbai……. Dahi Sev Batata Puri.
Here again is a step by step method of making Dahi Sev Batata Puri with nice pictures. Yes…. I am getting wonders to do with my small pocket sized camera and I simply enjoy photography…. not only food photography but also nature and landscape photography.
Dahi Sev Batata Puri is made with the puris…. that are used for pani puris and topped with boiled potatoes (batata in Marathi), chutneys, curd/yoghurt (dahi in Hindi) and sev. To make it more healthier, you could also add boiled moong sprouts and boiled chana with the potatoes.
Dahi Sev Batata Puri is absolutely simple to make if you have your puris, chutneys and sev ready. All these three items can be brought readymade.
If you want, you can make them at home too….. but its a tedious and time consuming process, especially if you are a full time working professional.
For this recipe I have used two chutneys mainly – Green Mint Coriander Chutney and Sweet Tamarind Jaggery Dates Chutney. There is one more chutney that is used to spice up this chaat and that is Red Chutney made from dry red chillies and garlic. The Red Chutney is an optional one and you could make it if you want to add more spice to the chaat.
Ingredients for making Dahi Sev Batata Puri: For 2-3 servings
- 2 medium size boiled and peeled potatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 tomato
- 1 green chili
- 1 to 2 tsp lemon juice (optional)
- a few sprigs of coriander leaves
- 1 cup curd
- 1/2 cup sweet chaat chutney
- 1/2 cup mint coriander chutney
- 15-16 puris
- 1 cup sev
- red chili powder
- chaat masala
- roasted cumin seed powder
- black salt
How to make Dahi Sev Batata Puri:
- Chop the boiled and peeled potatoes.
- Chop the onions, tomatoes, green chili and coriander leaves finely.
- Take around 15-16 pooris or golgappas.
- Also, keep both the green mint coriander chutney,
- and the sweet tamarind jaggery dates chutney ready.
- In a plate, arrange the puris or golgappas. You decide the number of puris to be served in each plate. Break the puris from the center to create space for the potatoes and chutneys.
- Stuff the chopped potatoes in the pooris.
- Now add the chopped onions, tomatoes and green chilies on top of the potatoes in the puris.
- At this stage you could sprinkle some chaat masala, jeera powder, red chili powder and black salt on the puris. This step is optional.
- Top the stuffed puris up with the green chutney, sweet chutney and curd. Top the chutneys as per your liking and taste.
- Now again sprinkle all the four dry masalas i.e chaat masala, jeera powder, red chili powder and black salt. Also sprinkle the lemon juice.
- Add the sev on top in a way that each poori gets covered with sev. Finally garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve Dahi Sev Batata Puri as soon as you make it as the puris become soggy if you serve even after a few minutes.
- Relish and savour each and every bite of yummy Dahi Sev Batata Puri with your loved ones.