Dahi Sev Batata Puri Recipe with step by step photos – Yet another chaat snack from the lands of Mumbai (Bombay).
After having written about the chaat recipes from Mumbai – Pani Puri and Ragda Pattice… this is my third post on the sweet, sour, tangy, spicy, crispy chaat…. again from Mumbai – Dahi Sev Batata Puri.
This chaat has its name Dahi Sev Batata Puri, since dahi (yogurt), sev (fried thin gram flour vermicelli), batata (aloo in hindi or potato in english) and puris are used to make this awesome snack.
The puris are the round puffed puris that are used for making pani puri. Batata is a marathi word for potatoes. Apart from these four ingredients which make up this chaat’s name, three kinds of chutneys are also added. These three chutneys are added to most chaat snacks.
The three chutneys are:
- Green Mint Coriander Chutney – Chutney made from fresh mint leaves, coriander, lemon juice and salt.
- Sweet Tamarind Jaggery Dates Chutney – Sweet chutney made from tamarind, dates and jaggery. Apart from this chutney you can also use Saunth Chutney, which is made from tamarind, jaggery and dry ginger powder.
- Red Chutney – Hot and spicy chutney made from dry red chillies and garlic. The Red Chutney is an optional one and you could make it if you want to add some heat and spice to the chaat.
While making Devi Sev Batata Puri – Some people also add chopped onions and tomatoes. Sometimes i add them and sometimes i skip. To make this chaat a bit more healthier, you could also add boiled moong sprouts and boiled chana (white chickpeas)with the potatoes.
Dahi Sev Batata Puri is absolutely simple to make if you have the puris, chutneys and sev ready. You can make the chutneys a day before and refrigerate. The job becomes easier as then you just need to boil the potatoes. The pooris can be brought ready made or made at home in advance.
Dahi sev batata puri recipe below:
- 2 to 3 medium size boiled and peeled potatoes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 small tomato, finely chopped (optional)
- a few sprigs of coriander leaves, finely chopped
- ½ to ¾ cup curd or as required
- ½ cup mint coriander chutney or coriander chutney
- ½ cup sweet tamarind dates chutney or saunth
- ¼ to ½ cup red chili garlic chutney
- 24 to 30 puris or golgappas
- nylon sev (fried thin gran as required
- red chili powder (optional) as required
- chaat masala as required
- roasted cumin powder as required
- black salt or rock salt as required
- Firstly prepare all the chutneys and keep aside.
- I have hyperlinked the recipes above and in the post. You can also make the chutneys a day before and refrigerate them.
- Boil the potatoes and let them cool.
- Once cooled, peel and chop the potatoes.
- Chop the onions, tomatoes and coriander leaves finely.
- Beat the yogurt/curd with a wired whisk till smooth.
- In a plate, arrange the puris or golgappas. You decide the number of puris to be served in each plate. Break the puris from the center to create space for the potatoes and chutneys.
- Stuff the chopped potatoes in the pooris.
- Now add the chopped onions, tomatoes on top of the potatoes in the puris.
- At this stage you could sprinkle some chaat masala, jeera powder, red chili powder and black salt on the puris. This step is optional.
- Top the stuffed puris up with the green chutney, sweet chutney and red chutney. Top the chutneys as per your liking and taste.
- Add the curd/yogurt in each poori.
- Now again sprinkle all the four dry masalas i.e chaat masala, roasted cumin powder, red chili powder and black salt.
- Add the sev on top in a way that each poori gets covered with sev. Finally garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve Dahi Sev Batata Puri as soon as you make it as the puris become soggy if you serve even after a few minutes.
If you are looking for similar recipes then do check dahi papdi chaat, mysore masala dosa, sev puri, bhel puri, misal pav, pav bhaji and aloo tikki chole.
Update: due to recent policies of facebook, many of you are not getting update from Veg Recipes of India facebook page. to keep getting updates, kindly go to our facebook page and click on “Liked” option and then select “See First” option under the drop down menu “IN YOUR NEWS FEED“.
Step by Step Dahi Sev Batata Puri Recipe:
1. Chop the boiled and peeled potatoes. Chop the onions, tomatoes and coriander leaves finely. Keep the pooris or golgappas ready. Also, keep the green mint coriander chutney, sweet tamarind jaggery dates chutney and red chutney ready. The proportion of the sweet chutney is more as i prepare quite an amount of it and it comes handy when serving with pakoras, samosa, kachori, dahi papdi chaat or dahi vada or any chaat snack.
2. Whip the curd/yogurt till smooth with a wired whisk. If you prefer, you can also use chilled yogurt. The yogurt has to be fresh and not sour. No need to add any sugar in the yogurt as the sweetness from the tamarind dates chutney will be enough.
3. In a plate, arrange the puris or golgappas. You decide the number of puris to be served in each plate. Break the puris from the center to create space for the potatoes and chutneys.
4. Stuff the chopped boiled potatoes in the pooris.
5. Now add the chopped onions, tomatoes (if adding them) on top of the potatoes in the puris. At this stage you could sprinkle some chaat masala, jeera powder and black salt on the puris. This step is optional.
6. Top the stuffed puris up with the green chutney, sweet chutney and red chutney. Top the chutneys as per your liking and taste and also the taste of your family members. If you like a sweet taste, then add more of the sweet tamarind chutney. If some one prefers spicy, then add more of the green and red chutney. If making for kids, then just add the sweet chutney.
7. Now add the whisked curd/yogurt or dahi.
8. Now again sprinkle the four dry masalas i.e chaat masala, roasted cumin powder, red chili powder (optional) and black salt.
9. Add the sev on top in a way that each poori gets covered with sev. Finally garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
10. Serve Dahi Sev Batata Puri as soon as you make it as the puris become soggy if you serve even after a few minutes. Relish and savour each and every bite of yummy Dahi Sev Batata Puri with your loved ones.Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media