this bhindi nariyal sabzi is a very simple recipe made with minimal ingredients. fresh coconut brings a lot of flavor and taste to this dish. basically the curry is a another variation of the goan style bhindi sabzi. this is how my mother makes the recipe at home. few more easy bhindi recipes are bhindi stir fry, bendakaya vepudu and punjabi bhindi fry recipe.
this is a dry bhindi curry and you can have it with chapati, parathas or bhakri and even bread. it can also be served as a side vegetable dish with dal-rice or sambar-rice. i served this bhindi sabzi with jowar bhakri (sorghum flour flat breads).
in this bhindi recipe, i have used kokum as a souring agent. if you don’t have kokum then you can use lemon juice or dry mango powder instead. measurements given below in the recipe details.
bhindi nariyal sabzi recipe card below:
okra coconut curry recipe - simple okra dish with coconut
- 250 to 300 grams bhindi - rinsed and chopped into ¼ or ½ inch round slices (okra or lady finger)
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped (hari mirch)
- ¼ cup grated fresh coconut
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 2 to 3 kokum OR ½ teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder) OR ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 or 1.5 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
- a few chopped coriander leaves for garnishing (dhania patta)
- heat oil. saute the onions first till transparent.
- add the green chilies and saute for a minute.
- add the turmeric powder and stir.
- add the okra along with the kokum & salt. stir well.
- place a lid with a rim on top of the pan. pour water on the lid.
- on a low flame, steam the okra till they are cooked.
- in between keep on checking and stirring the okra.
- when the okra is cooked, add grated coconut.
- stir and cook for a minute.
- garnish with coriander leaves.
- serve bhindi nariyal sabzi with chapatis or with dal-rice or sambar-rice.
how to make bhindi nariyal sabzi recipe:
1. rinse the bhindi (okra) 2 to 3 times under running water.
2. spread the okras on a kitchen towel. wipe them with the kitchen towel before making the sabzi.
3. slice the bhindi into ¼ to ½ inch round slices.
4. measure and keep all the ingredients ready for the sabzi.
5. heat 1 to 1.5 tablespoons of oil. add 1 medium size finely chopped onion.
6. stir and mix well.
7. saute the onions till transparent.
8. add 1 chopped green chili.
9. saute for a minute.
10. next add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi).
11. stir and mix well.
12. add 250 to 300 grams of chopped bhindi (okra).
13. also add 2 to 3 kokums.
14. mix well.
15. lastly add salt as required.
16. stir well.
17. place a lid with a rim on top of the pan. pour water on the lid.
18. on a low flame, steam the okra till they are cooked.
19. in between keep on checking and stirring the okra.
20. when the okra is cooked, add ¼ cup of fresh grated coconut.
21. stir and cook for a minute.
22. garnish with few chopped coriander leaves.
serve bhindi nariyal sabzi with chapatis or with dal-rice or sambar-rice.