aloo paneer kofta recipe with step by step photos – i had made the koftas for malai kofta. half of these aloo paneer koftas went in the malai kofta curry and half were served as a snack on the next day. another kofta curry recipe on the blog is cabbage kofta curry.
these aloo paneer kofta can be made for fasting/vrat or during navratri fasting. just substitute the corn flour with fasting flours like water chestnut flour (singhare ka atta), buckwheat flour (kuttu ka atta) or arrow root flour.
i have been a lot of paneer recipes from my readers since last year. i shall be posting all the requested paneer recipes in some time. i have quite a few in the drafts.
in the recipe below i have given the original recipe which makes about 14-16 medium sized koftas. you can halve this recipe and make 7-8 koftas if required.
aloo paneer kofta recipe below:
- 200 gms paneer/cottage cheese, grated
- 3 medium sized aloos/potatoes, which have been boiled & peeled and then grated
- 11/2 tbsp almond flour or 1 tbsp milk powder or 11/2 tbsp khoya (i used almond flour)
- ½ tsp black pepper powder or crushed black pepper
- ¼ or ½ tsp red chili powder/lal mirch powder
- ¼ or ½ tsp punjabi garam masala powder
- 1 or 1.5 tbsp chopped coriander leaves/dhania patta
- 1.5 or 2 tbsp corn flour/corn starch
- 2 to 3 tbsp mixed chopped dry fruits - almonds, cashews, pistachois and raisins
- vegetable oil for frying ( i used rice bran oil)
- rock salt or regular salt as required
- chaat masala as required (optional)
- mix all the ingredients in a bowl, except the dry fruits.
- check the seasoning and add more salt or spice powders if required.
- take a medium sized ball from the mixture and flatten it slightly.
- place the dry fruits in the center.
- bring the edges toward the center and cover the dry fruits completely.
- seal the kofta well, so that they do not break while frying.
- make all the koftas this way.
- heat oil for shallow frying or deep frying in a kadai or pan.
- add the stuffed koftas and fry till golden brown from all over.
- drain the kofta on paper tissues.
- serve aloo paneer kofta hot or warm with green chutney or sweet chutney and sprinkled with some chaat masala.
- these koftas can also be made and added to malai kofta curry.
1. i added 1.5 tbsp corn flour/corn starch to the kofta mixture and the koftas did not break. however, when making koftas, just add a small ball of the mixture first in the oil and if it does not break, then move ahead with frying the rest of the koftas. if the kofta does break, then add some more corn flour to bind them well.
2. the oil has to be medium hot. too hot oil, will brown the koftas quickly with the inside remaining uncooked. a warm oil, will make the koftas soak oil and become greasy. the texture in the latter case also would not be good.
3. if you are making aloo paneer koftas for fasting or vrat. then use rock salt and substitute the corn flour with fasting flours like water chestnut flour (singhare ka atta), buckwheat flour (kuttu ka atta) or arrow root flour.
step by step aloo paneer kofta recipe:
1: mix the grated boiled aloo/potatoes, grated paneer, spice powders, corn starch, coriander leaves and salt in a bowl.
2: mix really well and then take a medium sized ball from the mixture and flatten it.
3: place chopped dry fruits in the center.
4: bring the edges toward the center and seal the dry fruits mixture completely with the outer covering.
5: make all koftas this way. you can give any shape you want, round or oblong. i flattened them a bit for ease of frying. heat oil for shallow frying or deep frying in a pan and add the koftas.
6: carefully fry the koftas in the oil till golden brown.
7: drain the aloo paneer kofta on paper napkins to remove excess oil.
Follow us on Social Media