paneer kofta recipe with step by step photos. melt in the mouth soft texture delicious paneer koftas with a crisp exterior. i had made these paneer koftas for malai kofta gravy recipe. so half of these paneer koftas went in the malai kofta curry and half were served as a snack on the next day.
in this recipe the koftas are made with mashed potatoes, paneer and few spices. these paneer koftas can be made as a tea time snack or can be added in an onion tomato gravy or bhuna maslaa gravy and then served as a kofta gravy dish for lunch or dinner. they taste good as a snack and also in a gravy dish.
you can easily change this paneer kofta recipe, so that it can also be made during religious fasting (vrat) or for navratri fasting:
- just substitute the corn flour with fasting flours like water chestnut flour (singhare ka atta) or buckwheat flour (kuttu ka atta) or arrow root flour.
- don’t forget to use rock salt (sendha namak) instead of regular salt.
- skip adding garam masala powder, chaat masala powder or any other ingredient which don’t use for regligious fasting at your home.
in the paneer kofta recipe below i have given the original recipe which makes about 14 to 16 medium sized koftas. you can halve this recipe and make 7 to 8 koftas if required. the recipe can be easily doubled or tripled.
few more kofta recipes on the blog are:
serve the paneer kofta hot or warm with sweet chutney or tomato sauce or pudina chutney.
paneer kofta recipe below:
punjabi paneer kofta recipe - a melt in the mouth soft texture koftas with a crisp exterior.
- 200 grams paneer (cottage cheese) - grated
- 3 medium sized potatoes (aloo) - which have been boiled and peeled and then grated
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder OR crushed black pepper (kali mirch powder)
- ¼ or ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ or ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 or 1.5 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta or cilantro leaves)
- 1.5 or 2 tablespoon corn flour (corn starch)
- 2 to 3 tablespoon mixed chopped dry fruits - almonds (badam), cashews (kaju), pistachois (pista) and raisins (kishmish)
- 1.5 tablespoon almond flour OR 1 tablespoon milk powder OR 1.5 tablespoon khoya (mawa or dried evaporated milk solids) - [i used almond flour]
- vegetable oil for frying - i used rice bran oil
- rock salt or regular salt as required
- chaat masala as required (optional)
- mix all the ingredients in a bowl, except the dry fruits.
- check the seasoning and add more salt or spice powders if required.
- take a medium sized ball from the mixture and flatten it slightly.
- place the dry fruits in the center.
- bring the edges toward the center and cover the dry fruits completely.
- seal the kofta well, so that they do not break while frying.
make all the paneer koftas this way.
- heat oil for shallow frying or deep frying in a kadai or pan.
- add the stuffed koftas and fry till golden brown from all over.
drain the paneer kofta on paper tissues to remove excess oil.
- serve aloo paneer kofta hot or warm with green chutney or sweet chutney and sprinkled with some chaat masala.
these paneer koftas can also be made and added to malai kofta curry.
tips for making paneer kofta recipe:
- i added 1.5 tbsp corn flour/corn starch to the kofta mixture and the koftas did not break. however, when making koftas, just add a small ball of the mixture first in the oil and if it does not break, then move ahead with frying the rest of the koftas. if the paneer kofta does break, then add some more corn flour to bind them well.
- the oil has to be medium hot. too hot oil, will brown the paneer kofta quickly with the inside remaining uncooked. a warm oil, will make the paneer koftas soak oil and become greasy. the texture in the latter case also would not be good.
if making paneer kofta recipe for fasting or vrat:
- use rock salt (sendha namak) instead or regular salt.
- substitute the corn flour with fasting flours like water chestnut flour (singhare ka atta) or buckwheat flour (kuttu ka atta) or arrow root flour.
- skip adding garam masala powder, chaat masala powder or any other ingredient which don't use for regligious fasting at your home.
how to make paneer kofta recipe:
1: mix the grated boiled aloo (potatoes), grated paneer, spice powders, corn starch, coriander leaves and salt in a bowl.
2: mix really well and then take a medium sized ball from the mixture and flatten it.
3: place chopped dry fruits in the center.
4: bring the edges toward the center and seal the dry fruits mixture completely with the outer covering. make all paneer koftas this way. you can give any shape you want, round or oblong. i flattened them a bit for ease of frying.
5: heat oil for shallow frying or deep frying in a pan and add the paneer koftas.
6: carefully fry the koftas in the oil till golden brown.
7: drain the fried paneer kofta on paper napkins to remove excess oil.
8: serve paneer koftas hot or warm with coriander chutney or sweet chutney or tomato sauce.