papdi bhaji or val papdi bhaji recipe – an easy recipe of sauted and steamed papdi or flat green beans which i often make at home during winters. the recipe is similar to the goan recipe of french beans foogath.
the variety of papdi i used for this bhaji is called as lima beans in english. these beans are flat and have a shorter length. they are also known as surti papdi in gujarati, val papdi in marathi and sem in hindi. these beans are nutritious and very healthy. you can use any variety of flat beans to make this bhaji.
this papdi bhaji recipe is made with very few ingredients. so this allows the flavor and taste of the flat beans to come through in this dish. fresh coconut added to the bhaji, gives a mild sweet taste coupled with the faint sweetness of the beans.
the papdi bhaji goes very well with dal-rice or sambar rice or with chapatis or rotis. in the pics, the papdi bhaji is served with steamed rice and a mangalorean style pumpkin and black eyed peas sambar.
these beans are available during the indian winters and i do make them often in this season. one more val papdi recipe made maharashtrian style with peanuts will be added soon on the blog.
papdi bhaji recipe below:
papdi bhaji recipe | surti papdi bhaji recipe | easy val papdi bhaji recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 200 to 250 grams papdi (flat green beans or field beans or valor or val papdi)
- 3 to 4 shallots Or 1 small to medium onion - finely chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic (lahsun) - finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 green chili (hari mirch) chopped
- 3 tablespoon grated coconut
- 1 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
- few chopped coriander leaves for garnishing (dhania patta)
how to make recipe
preparation for surti papdi bhaji recipe:
- rinse the papdi or green beans first very well in water.
- drain them.
then string them and open the pods. then break or chop them straight or diagonally into 1 inch or 1.5 inches pieces.
making surti papdi bhaji recipe:
- heat oil in a pan or kadai.
- add the finely chopped onions and saute till the onions are translucent.
- then add the garlic and green chilies.
- saute for some seconds and add the turmeric powder.
- stir and then add the chopped papdi or flat beans.
- sprinkle salt and some water.
- cover the pan with a rimmed plate or lid.
- pour water over the plate.
- on a low flame simmer the flat beans till they are cooked completely.
- check in between and give a gentle stir.
- if the water dries up in the pan, then sprinkle some water and cover and continue to cook.
- if the water dries up in the lid, then add more water.
- when the beans are cooked and if there is water in the pan, then cook without the lid, so that the water dries up. some moisture should be there in the dish. the beans should not get browned or crisp.
- add the grated coconut and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes more on a low flame.
- garnish with coriander leaves and serve the papdi bhaji with rotis or chapatis.