Beans poriyal recipe With step by step photos – a quick and tasty South Indian side dish made with french beans, spices and coconut. This is one of those recipes I often make with beans along with Beans thoran, Beans foogath and Aloo beans sabzi.
Poriyal is a South Indian dry vegetable preparation where the veggies are sauted in spices and topped with fresh grated coconut. You can make poriyal with veggies like cabbage, carrot, beetroot, okra, potato etc.
I have already shared few poriyal recipes like
I make poriyal recipes often as a side dish with sambar or rasam along with rice. Poriyals are are easy and quick to make and are healthy vegan side dishes which you can make on a short notice.
You can serve beans poriyal with roti, chappati or as a side dish with sambar-rice or rasam-rice combo. It will also go well with dal and rice combo.
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you want more delicious vegetarian Indian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
beans poriyal recipe
- 225 to 250 grams french beans
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ¾ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- ¾ teaspoon urad dal (split husked black gram)
- 2 dry red chilies (sookhi lal mirch) - whole or broken and deseeded
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 sprig of curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 2 to 3 tablespoon grated coconut
- ½ cup water
- salt as required
- Rinse the french beans for a few times in water. Drain them.
- Remove the side strings from the beans and then chop them diagonally or in ¼ inch pieces.
making beans poriyal
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan. Add the mustard seeds and urad dal.
- On a low flame fry the mustard seeds and urad dal. Fry till the mustard splutters and the urad dal turns into a maroonish red. Don't burn the dal.
- Add the dry red chilies, curry leaves, turmeric powder, asafoetida. Mix very well.
- Now add the chopped french beans
- Saute for a minute and then add ½ cup water along with salt.
cooking beans poriyal
- Cover and cook till the french beans are tender and done.
- Check in between whilst cooking. If the water dries up, you can add some more water.
- Once the beans are cooked till tender, add the grated coconut. Switch off the stove and stir.
- Serve the french beans poriyal hot or warm with sambar and steamed rice.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Preparation to make beans sabzi or beans poriyal
1. Rinse 225 to 250 grams of french beans for a few times in water very well.
2. You can also rinse the french beans in a colander and then drain them.
3. Remove the side strings from the beans.
4. Then chop them diagonally or straight in ¼ inch pieces. Collect 6 to 7 beans together and chop them. This works faster, then chopping each french bean separately.
5. Keep the chopped french beans aside.
6. Measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making french beans poriyal.
Making beans poriyal
7. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a kadai or pan. Add ¾ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai) and ¾ teaspoon urad dal (split husked black gram).
8. On a low flame saute the mustard seeds and urad dal, till the mustard seeds splutter and crackle.
9. Fry the urad dal till it turns into a maroonish red color. Don’t burn the dal.
10. Add 2 dry red chilies (sookhi lal mirch) which are broken and deseeded. Also add 1 sprig of curry leaves (kadi patta).
11. Next add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi) and 1 pinch of asafoetida (hing). Mix well.
12. Now add the chopped french beans.
13. Mix very well.
14. Saute for a minute and then add ½ cup water.
15. Also add salt as required. Mix well again.
Cooking beans poriyal
16. Cover the pan with a tight lid. On a low flame simmer the french beans till they are cooked and tender.
17. Check beans poriyal in between whilst cooking.
18. If the water dries up, you can add some more water.
19. Cook till the french beans is done. There should be no water in the pan. If there is water, then cook without lid till all the water evaporates. Once the beans are cooked till tender, then add 2 to 3 tablespoon grated coconut.
20. mix very well and then switch off the flame.
21. Serve the Beans poriyal hot or warm with sambar and steamed rice.