papaya sambharo recipe with step by step pics. papaya sambharo is a crunchy and spiced chutney made from raw unripe papaya. gujarati cuisine has various delicious vegetarian dishes and papaya sambharo is one such dish.
fafda and papaya sambharo are a match made for each other. the crispiness of the fafda, the hints of heat from the green chilies in the papaya chutney, the moistness, crunchiness and the flavor of papaya – a myriad of taste, textures and flavors.
i have also shared gujarati fafda and besan chutney recipes. links below:
papaya sambharo is usually served with fafda, ghatiya, methi na gota and khaman dhokla. making papaya chutney recipe is very easy and just takes about 15 t0 20 minutes. if you are wondering what fafda is – fafda is a crisp fried snack made from gram flour (pic below).
when living in mumbai, a gujarati snacks shop, close to our home, would serve fafda along with papaya chutney as a morning breakfast. on some weekends i would buy fafda, papaya chutney, fried green chilies from the snack shop along with some jalebis. this used to be my favorite breakfast then and also now. the best part of this rich morning breakfast to me was the papaya chutney, which would taste so good with the fafda. during dussehra festival fafda along with papaya chutney, fafda chutney and jalebi is sold like hot cakes.
i make papaya sambaro similar to carrot sambharo. i have shared carrot sambharo recipe a few years back. this papaya chutney recipe comes very close to the papaya chutney one gets in gujarati mithai or sweet shops. even though papaya sambharo is served with fafda and gathiya, but you can also serve it with methi thepla or mooli thepla or lauki thepla or rava dhokla or plain parathas or aloo paratha and even as a side dish with dal-rice.
gujarati raw papaya chutney recipe below:
papaya sambharo recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR papaya sambharo recipe
- 1.25 cups tightly packed grated papaya or 1 small papaya
- ½ tablespoon oil (peanut or sunflower oil)
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 2 to 3 green chilies - sliced in large pieces or kept whole
- 7 to 8 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¼ teaspoon sugar or add as required
- ¼ teaspoon lemon juice or add as required
HOW TO MAKE papaya sambharo recipe
- rinse and peel 1 small unripe papaya.
- cut the papaya in two parts.
- scrape of the tiny seeds and pith with a sharp spoon or a knife. the seeds and pith have to be removed well or else it might make papaya chutney bitter.
- now grate each papaya halve. you can use a hand held grater or grate in a food processor. you will need 1.25 cups tightly packed grated papaya. keep grated papaya aside.
making papaya sambharo:
- heat ½ tablespoon oil in a pan and add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds. keep the flame to a low or medium-low.
- fry till the mustard seeds crackle and splutter.
- then add 2 to 3 green chilies (sliced in large pieces or kept whole), 7 to 8 curry leaves and 1 pinch asafoetida (hing). curry leaves can be chopped or kept whole.
- sauté till the green chilies get slightly crisp with a few blisters.
- then add the grated papaya and ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder. mix well.
- then add ¼ teaspoon sugar and salt as per taste. mix very well.
- stirring often sauté the papaya chutney mixture for 3 to 4 minutes on a low flame.
- lastly add ¼ teaspoon lemon juice. mix very well.
- serve papaya sambharo with fafda, khaman dhokla, methi na gota, gathiya, methi thepla, lauki thepla, mooli thepla, plain paratha or dal-rice.
how to make papaya sambharo recipe for fafda, ghatiya:
1. rinse and peel 1 small unripe papaya.
2. cut the papaya in two parts.
3. scrape of the tiny seeds and pith with a sharp spoon or a knife. the seeds and pith have to be removed well or else it might make chutney bitter.
4. now grate each papaya halve. you can use a hand held grater or grate in a food processor. you will need 1.25 cups tightly packed grated papaya. keep grated papaya aside.
5. heat ½ tablespoon oil in a pan and add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds. you can use peanut oil or sunflower oil. keep the flame to a low or medium-low.
6. fry till the mustard seeds crackle and splutter.
7. then add 2 to 3 green chilies (sliced in large pieces or kept whole), 7 to 8 curry leaves and 1 pinch asafoetida (hing). curry leaves can be chopped or kept whole.
8. mix well on a low flame.
9. sauté till the chilies get slightly crisp.
10. add the grated papaya.
11. then add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder.
12. mix well.
13. then add ¼ teaspoon sugar and salt as per taste.
14. mix very well.
15. sauté the papaya chutney mixture stirring often.
16. sauté for 3 to 4 minutes on a low flame.
17. lastly add ¼ teaspoon lemon juice. mix very well. at this step you can also add some roasted sesame seeds. a few chopped coriander leaves can also be added.